Poll

Which one of these would you purchase and why?

Toyota Corolla
3 (18.8%)
Toyota Matrix
2 (12.5%)
Honda Civic
2 (12.5%)
Mazda 3
8 (50%)
Nissan Sentra
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Help me choose my new car!  (Read 4903 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Help me choose my new car!
« on: Feb 09, 2007, 05:33:03 PM »
I am looking to get new a high quality car in the $15,000-$20,000 range to replace the Tundra.  I love the Tundra, but I have no need to own a truck and a car fits much better into the future family plans.

The Matrix would be my 1st choice except I have read about a lot of tire wear problems that concern me quite a bit.

I will also be looking for a steal on a used car, but would prefer new.  On Sunday I will be trying to test drive all of these plus some additional ones.

:help:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Help me choose my new car!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2007, 05:37:48 PM »
If you're thinking family, I'd stay away from the corolla, unless a brand new one is sgnificantly bigger than the '05s.  I've got a friend who couldn't fit two child seats very well into the backseat, caused a lot of headaches because of the cramped space, and his wife would up hurting her back because of twisting weird.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »

The Matrix would be my 1st choice
:reg:

people that buy new cars are stupid imo.....unless u like throwing money away go with a quality used car......toyotas are nice (no, im not biased lol) is this for you personally?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2007, 05:49:45 PM »

people that buy new cars are stupid imo.....unless u like throwing money away go with a quality used car......toyotas are nice (no, im not biased lol) is this for you personally?

I would agree that purchasing new isn't the best financial choice, but very very few people maintain their cars as well as I do and I always plan to run them forever, but so far I'm 0 for 1.

The car would be my wife's daily driver.  I will have the 89 4Runner once gotrocks gets it finished.  As much as I love Toyota, the Corolla is not a very comfortable car from my very limited experince and the other have more room which is important.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:14:40 PM »
I am looking to get new a high quality car in the $15,000-$20,000 range
I will also be looking for a steal on a used car, but would prefer new.  On Sunday I will be trying to test drive all of these plus some additional ones.

:help:

Bought the wifey a brand new Honda Accord EX in '03  :thumbs: great car  :biggthumpup: drives like a dream with pleanty of room for me too (6'1" 285) :king: great on gas and pleanty powerful (V6 Auto)

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:21:15 PM »
The Altima and Maxima are both really nice and quick. If you would lower yourself to a low mileage car you could get a really nice one. The Altima with the V6 hauls major ass. I drive my moms 2005 Maxima with 265hp horsepower quite often and that thing really rips! It roasts the tires like a sumbitch too  :burnout: :burnout:
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:49:54 PM »
I am down to either the Matrix or the Mazda3 justbecause they are the only two available as wagons. I also liked the impreza wagon, that I know you didn't mention, but where I live is a LONG way from a Subaru dealer so didn't consider them for long.

I test drove both when I was car shopping a year or so ago, Needed something with enough room to haul all the crap I had to carry with the job I was doing at the time, be comfortable for hours on the road, and be reliable enough to trust to get me anywhere the dispatcher might send me.

So what Did I buy? an 06 dodge Dakota  :smack:. Having to tow a trailer occasionally had to do with that mistake though.

But back to what you asked. I was just more comfortable in the Mazda than the matrix, if I remember the MPG rating, and if you believe them the matrix was supposed to get better milage though.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:18:40 PM »
The Altima and Maxima are both really nice and quick. If you would lower yourself to a low mileage car you could get a really nice one. The Altima with the V6 hauls major ass. I drive my moms 2005 Maxima with 265hp horsepower quite often and that thing really rips! It roasts the tires like a sumpregnant dog too  :burnout: :burnout:

The price is what is driving the level of cars that I am looking at.  If I was looking to spent a bunch of money the Toyota Avalon would be my #1 choice.  If you have not had the opportunity to get a ride in one they are extrememly smooth and quick, I was not prepared for the amount of power it had.  Keep in mind I had a 2000 SS Camaro with 340+ hp and I have ridden in a 70k AMG so I have been around fast cars before.

I am down to either the Matrix or the Mazda3 justbecause they are the only two available as wagons. I also liked the impreza wagon, that I know you didn't mention, but where I live is a LONG way from a Subaru dealer so didn't consider them for long.

I test drove both when I was car shopping a year or so ago, Needed something with enough room to haul all the crap I had to carry with the job I was doing at the time, be comfortable for hours on the road, and be reliable enough to trust to get me anywhere the dispatcher might send me.

So what Did I buy? an 06 dodge Dakota  :smack:. Having to tow a trailer occasionally had to do with that mistake though.

But back to what you asked. I was just more comfortable in the Mazda than the matrix, if I remember the MPG rating, and if you believe them the matrix was supposed to get better milage though.

I'm not interested in a car with a Turbo and the 4wd just sucks fuel, it doesn't snow enough our here to justify the need.  Plus, turbo lag sucks.  I would love a WRX STI, but that goes back to the price.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:31:37 PM »
Well my friend, you are in luck! In the Dec 06 issue of Car and Driver they tested 6 cars under $20k. They finished in this order:

#1. Volkswagen Rabbit

#2. Mazda 3s Touring

#3. Honda Civic LX

#4. Hyundai Elantra SE

#5. Toyota Corolla LE

#6. Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Your local library might possibly have a copy.

EDIT: I just found the article online...
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11873/2007-toyota-corolla-le-vs-2006-honda-civic-lx-vs-2007-hyundai-elantra-se-vs-2007-mazda-3s-touring-vs-2007-volkswagen-rabbit-vs-2007-nissan-sentra-20s.html
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:39:21 PM »

people that buy new cars are stupid imo

Ever hear the saying "You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar"? Seldom, if ever, will you convince anyone of you point of view, no matter how strong your position is, if you begin by telling them how stupid they are.

From a strictly financial standpoint you are, of course, correct. There is something to be said for the "security" of a new vehicle warranty.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:42:36 PM »

Ever hear the saying "You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar"? Seldom, if ever, will you convince anyone of you point of view, no matter how strong your position is, if you begin by telling them how stupid they are.

From a strictly financial standpoint you are, of course, correct. There is something to be said for the "security" of a new vehicle warranty.
that wasnt my intentions at all.....im sorry if anyone took it that way....what i meant to say is that personally, i would never buy a new car..... cant see the point....i mean my toyota has 300k and has less mechanical problems than many "new" cars....please dont think i was calling you stupid blackdiamond!

p.s. i voted for the mazda 3..just like the way they look :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »
that wasnt my intentions at all.....im sorry if anyone took it that way....what i meant to say is that personally, i would never buy a new car..... cant see the point....i mean my toyota has 300k and has less mechanical problems than many "new" cars....please dont think i was calling you stupid blackdiamond!

Me too...This is only the 2nd vehicle I've ever had newer than 10 years old (the other one I bought when Anna was born)

Me too...too! I voted for the Mazda.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:57:01 PM »
I know it isn't in the running, but for a reliable family car with some room, good for parts hauling too, awd great in snow...my scooby is pretty dern good.  Reliable as all get out, never a problem.
My write in ballot is a Forester or Outback.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »

Same here :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:10:16 PM »
Wait, I mean the mazda 6.  Isn't the mazda 3 a ford focus?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »
We had some fun looking and test driving today.  Here are the results:

(1) Toyota - we eliminated both the Matrix and Corolla without visiting the dealer because my wife really doesn't like the looks of the Corolla and I don't want to risk the tire wear problems that are documented on the past three model years on the Matrix.

(2) Nissan - The Sentra seems to be a quality car (we didn't drive one because they didn't have the 6-speed manual in stock) but it seemed rather plain.  My wife really likes the looks but I am not a huge fan.

(3) Honda - We test drove the 200 hp Civic SI and were fairly impressed.  Performance was good, but not worth the additional cost.  The seats and brakes would be the biggest selling point for an SI in my opinion.  The local Honda dealership is a bunch of idiots so we basically eliminated them based on that and we were not excited about the basic Civic for the price.  It is a very high quality car, but not what we were looking for.

(4) We loved the Mazda 3 5-door.  It has adequate performance and a really sporty feel.  Lot's of room and great options for the price.  I think we can get one with a bose stereo and leather for under $20,000.  The best part is that it is 95% Japan Parts and assembeled in Japan.  This is huge for me.  We are expecting an email offer for trade-in tomorrow and also to see if they can locate the car we want.  The saleman was the lowest pressure guy I have ever met at a dealership.  I had to "pull" things out of him, very strange.  He also didn't claim to be the expert on the cars and admitted not knowing some things.

(5) We made a special trip to check out a Mazda SPEED 3 (260+ hp turbo model), but the only one was on the floor and a test drive was only availble for very serious buyers and we managed to agree that there wasn't going to be a common price so we moved on.  The other major problem is that the local dealer isn't authorized to service or work on it and I wouldn't drive an hour to have warranty work done.  It looked to be a slick deal.  It is the same engine as the Speed 5 but is smaller and not 4wd.

If you couldn't tell, the MAZDA 3 5-door looks to be the best car for us.

:greengrin:   
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2007, 10:40:37 PM by blackdiamond »

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2007, 08:13:06 PM »
Goodluck, I hope they give you what you need on your trade.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »
Update on the new car.

On the way home I got a call from the dealer and they had located the car we were looking for at the port (Seattle or Tacoma) and wanted to confirm the deal before they attempted to reroute the car from wherever it was slated to go.  The salesman that called was the 3rd guy that I have had dealings with and he wanted to confirm the deal that I had made with the previous saleman.  He had the trade-in correct and also the price of the car ($200 over invoice) which I had never officially received an agreement on after I sent them my email.  I know they are making more than $200 on the deal, but so far this has been the best dealership experience I have ever had.  I had a good experience at Toyota of Puyallup when I purchase the Tundra, but this has been better.

http://www.pinnaclemazda.com/

I have not heard if they actually got the car, but  :crossed:

My wife and I were considering going shopping tomorrow to explore the options of a 2nd color choice that seemed to be the difficult thing to find.  The next blue one that they know of that is coming to their dealership is still waiting to be built in Japan so it is at least a couple of months out.  They spent quite a bit of time chasing down a car with our requested specs.

:greengrin:
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2007, 05:29:56 PM by blackdiamond »

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:32:01 PM »
buy my 86 rx7

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile