Author Topic: Tail Light and Turn Signal Issues (Where are the grounds)  (Read 2142 times)

blyota91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 170
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Tail Light and Turn Signal Issues (Where are the grounds)
« on: Feb 06, 2007, 02:18:28 PM »
I have a 91 22RE 4X4.  Many months back my right side turn signal started to act funny, occasionally it would blink fast as if there was a bulb out and then start working normal.  So I checked and replaced any bulbs and made sure the sockets were good and clean.  Months down the road the signal will constantly blink at a faster than normal rate.  No blown bulbs.  So add a few more months and some more observations to this.  When the brakes are applied my turn signal blinks even faster, the problem can be more prevalent when the parking lights are on.  So add few more months, (rode my motorcycle all summer didn't need the truck) now things get worse.  When I press the brake both my back up lights iluminate dimly, as does the right turn signal, and the right parking light appears to be on and the brake light appears to be off.  I am under the assumption that I have a bad ground somewhere.  I need to know where the lighting grounds are.  None of the wiring diagrams I have access to tell where things like that are.  I tried a different combination switch just for fun since I have one and that didn't help.  Any insight or any good wiring diagrams?

Thanks
Andrew
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i think the grounds are actually way up in the engine bay or around there... there is a wire harness that goes from at least mid cab back for the rear lights... there is a ground in that harness somewhere
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blyota91 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I know where it goes into the cab and nothing is exposed between there and the rear.  Anybody know if the ground is on the inside of the  cab or the engine compartment.  I found a cleaned a bunch of them today but didn't get any results from it.

Andrew
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Have you verified the loss of a ground at the light sockets? How about the connections behind the sockets or the connectors to the taillights? This stuff does happen and it is possible for a wire to be broken internally without being seperated from the outside and may appear ok. Just give a light tug on each wire to make sure. Check there before ripping the rest of the truck apart first. Be sure and verify the operation of your testlight or meter to ground when you check for power. The ground wire from the harness should be near the taillight in the rear. From MFG's standpoint it cost more money to run a wire back to the front than to ground it near the load (Taillight). Keep checking it's gotta be there somewhere. Hope this helps  :crossed:

blyota91 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I was going to look around the back today if I have time after work.  I am considering welding a threaded stud to the frame somewhere back there and running my ground that way.  I had the bed off this summer and I didn't see any wires to the frame anywhere, possibly one by the tank but I'll have to look again.

Thanks
Andrew
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I can't really help you, but i have to tell you that your avitar is awesome!!!!

military_stang
:respect:

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
I can't really help you, but i have to tell you that your avitar is awesome!!!!

military_stang
:respect:

:laugh:  :hahaha:  :rofl2:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

blyota91 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Something I have forgotten to mention.  Over the summer I built a steel flatbed for it and installed the grommet mount truck style lights on the back.  The turn signal issues were present long before this.  I used the stock connectors from the tail lights so that I have a small wiring harness that goes to each side and still plugs into the factory setup.  Maybe I have some issues going on the factory end of things, or possible my wiring has gone haywire.  I'm doubting its what I did because I was very meticulous about it so I wouldn't have issues with it.  I also swapped and one point my tail light housings from side to side to see it the problem was there and it was not.
Thanks for the comment on the avatar, the funny thing about it is I have a honda motorcycle, but thats the car emblem so its ok.

Thanks
Andrew
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

blyota91 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
A new observation.  The right indicator in my dash doesn't work, could this be the cause of my fast blinking signal issues?

Andrew
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94