Author Topic: Review: Thinking about LTB's???  (Read 3484 times)

Bass Man

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Oct '06
  • I came to the Dark Side.
    • View Profile
Review: Thinking about LTB's???
« on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:43:38 PM »
I just got my LTB's on the samurai, and I have already wheelled a few places...

This thread will be for LTB's and their owners, and also for onlokers anting info on a nice, price for the punch tire..  I will be updating this thread every time I do something new, ranging from rocks to sand, mud to ice...  ECT.   I don't want people to get these tires just because they look good, BUT!  because they can see a thread on people and their first hand experience (This means:Own/Have owned a set, or know/wheeled with someone with a set...)

So now onto the begin of the review...

When I saw them for the first time, I was dumbfounded at the agressiveness of such a cheap tire!  Ranging from $107 to $117 (what I paid at Les Schwab) per tire...

When I went down the road, I was disappointed at how quiet they were...  Not even close to trademark Super Swamer...  Maybe after I break them in a little more.

Pics of tread:

As you can see, this is one aggressive midget!  The side lugs (on the 31") are about 1.75" wide at their widest point and the lugs (on an 8" rim) line up EXACT with the sidewall...  Making the lug the widest thing on the tire.  And also; these are really! soft tires.  Very nice compound...

And for the Coin test, I did it with a quarter (about 13/16 up the quarter) a Penny (the size of a penny.) and a dime (a little bit under the middle-most lug.)

And a pic describing it:

But the coolest part about these tires were the pop-outs on the side lugs of the tire!

Of course they are jut for show, but that is a cool plus for a tire that is only $107...

Ok...  Now onto my driven review...

LOOSE WETTED DIRT: (Kinda like top soil)
The day I got them, the tire shop put 15 lbs in each tire, and I told them to balance them with bb's (which work over 24 MPH BTW!) so when the bead was set good enough, I lowered them to 10 lbs and went up the mountain...  There was LOTS of slick ice and crap up there, and I was only in 2wd most the time, so I did a lot of sliding... (a 2000 lb rig with a lot of torque?!  what do you think happend?!)  but when I got to the top, we headed for the "Big Hill"...  Where we couldn't make in a $8000 sammy on Baja claws(locked/full susp./gears, the works!), I made in slick dirt (like top soil)...  And I will tell you, it was a nervous ride STRICKLY because my T-case was making noise from a loose bolt...  But other than that, we climbed up the hill hitting roots and falling in 4wd quad burnouts and stucks, we made it all the way...

Unlocked and lightweight, I have NEVER seen a tire like this perform so well in tearing through the dirt to get to the good stuff.

FORREST MUD:
Today, after work, I went to a private spot that has been soaking wet and grassy for the past month, just to see how the mud flys!
Feeling better about my T-case (after welding the bolts to keep them from creeping out), I went down the road from my work to play in the slop...  It was just wet enough to be slick, but dry enough to hold together, .  This terrain is similar to the kind of stuff you find a little off the beaten trail...   

I put it in first and dropped the hammer on that stuff and you can just see PILES of wet mud behind your rig.   I can't get them to load up!!!  I was throwing 5' roaster tails everytime I went WOT!  It's killing me that all the goo-e, gummy mud is all underneath a sheet of ice (damn ice...  I hate ice...) But come spring, the mud WILL be flying...

In mud, if you can get these tires stuck, it's only because you're afraid of your skinny peddle, or you picked a line your truck wasn't made for.

Still to come:

Rocks:  The famous White City rock pit is only 10 miles from me...  This was designed by Brent (founder of Trail Tough) and he does testing of his new products in this very pit...  Next project to test will be his Bolt-on 40"+ tire setup (stretched on coils and such...) for the samurai's...  But I will get pics of that too.

Deep or Goowy mud:  I know of a perfect spot.  My camera guy can ride with me...

Deep sidehill ruts:  I know somewhere, but it will be a while before I get pics..

The Monster of mud:  I know another place were the mud is black.  Where the big fullsize K5 blazers with 44" bogger can't make up, and the mud is too slick to even hike up.

For now, end of review.  These tires are worth every penny

If ANYONE has a question/request to knowledge, please ask away ON the thread...  It's good to let everyone know something ahead of time...

And this isn't just MY thread, PLEASE!!!  Jack this thread with your own LTB experience.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2007, 12:40:48 PM by 79coyotefrg »
Stock 82 LWB on 33's welded in the rear.  Amazes me!  Been through 4 motors in 2 months though...

toyada

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Thinking about LTB's???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:20:51 PM »
i have 34x10.50 on my niva(with toyota driveline 4.7  :turtle: gears) wich is bigger then a sammy (7 "longer wheel base) and i cant believe how well they work in hard wood mud at idle speed the mud just seemed to fall out of the tread i have been on some rocks and they didnt let me down at all. But with heavy side wall and a light truck i am running 8lbs of air i think i could go lower but no bead locks  :sad2:

colemancooler

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since May '07
  • "chrome don't get you home"
    • View Profile
    • Eastern washington Off road
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2007, 08:25:28 AM »
I have 34-10.5-15 LTB on my toyota and Love them, I had to sipe mine for winter driving, and the only reason I would not buy them again, is becuase they don't come in a 35" And I am ready to move up
" the Dude abides "-The great lebowski
Eastern Washington Off Road

Steve97TJ

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2007, 06:39:07 AM »
How about post some pics of them on your rig. Im interested in these for my 82.
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC

colemancooler

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2007, 05:33:11 PM »

:thumbs: :yesnod:

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 313
  • Member since Jul '07
  • This line intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2007, 10:51:58 AM »
doesnt it get old changing your window sticker each time you go out? :nana:
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

88 xtra cab sas'd dual cases flatbed

colemancooler

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2007, 07:20:28 PM »
I changed it because "GOT MUD" gave people the wrong impression :lipsrsealed:

wombat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2007, 02:16:50 AM »
I do not have experience with the LTB's but I have only heard good reviews about them. I currently run 33' tsl's in front and boggers(14') in the rear. You say that the compound is soft, but I have always been led to believe that they are very stiff tires, thus my reason for not going with LTB's..

toyofan7987

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Jan '07
  • yoter boy till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2007, 09:29:01 PM »
a friend of mine has ltb's . 33x 14.5 i think , but he says they wear really fast . even for swampers

Steve97TJ

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:01:22 AM »
There bias ply, not going to be the best wearing road tire out there.
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC

croberts

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2007, 06:12:58 AM »
I've got a set of 34 x 10.5's on my 84 4'' lift locked front and rear. This is my first rig, these things have worked great in sand mud and rocks for me the only reason i wouldn't buy another set is that i want to get 36 to 38's. Overall a great tire for the money. Not much street us so i don't have much imput.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2007, 12:11:19 PM »
I have a set on my sammy even though they are only 32inches but they work great
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2007, 11:18:43 AM »
my latest wheeling trip.
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs