Author Topic: Will 35's fit  (Read 2032 times)

ctdellerman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Will 35's fit
« on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:07:31 PM »
I've got an 87 4-runner that I would eventually like to do an SAS on but right now can't afford all the pieces.  So I'm thinking of getting 1.5" balljoint spacers, a 1" diff drop and a 2" body lift(4 Crawler).  Will this give me enough height to clear 35's?  I would like to use 35's because I have 5 good 35" BFG Baja T/A's and I could have my gears done to 5:29 and be able to use them once I convert to SAS.  Is this dumb?  I just want to be able to do some decent wheeling while I gather the rest of my SAS parts.  Thoughts?  Thanks, Eric
1987 4-Runner, elocker rear...gathering parts for SAS conversion
2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins Diesel 6spd HO.  Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Jammer II injectors, AFE Stage 2, MBRP 4" exhaust, Jacobs exhaust brake, FASS fuel system, Southbend Clutch, Carli Suspension, 3" Sway-A-Ways, custom Deaver leaf packs, custom long travel airbags, 3rd gen wheels, Lukes links, DSS, Royal Utility bed

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
Re: Will 35's fit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:19:23 PM »
Yes it is dumb. Why would you throw money at a suspension that you dont want want? Just leave it alone wheel to it's limit's and save your scratch for the SAS.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:23:58 PM »
Yes it is dumb. Why would you throw money at a suspension that you dont want want? Just leave it alone wheel to it's limit's and save your scratch for the SAS.

I have to agree.  Just save the money.

Ben Dover

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:05:54 PM »
Leave it as is. Weld the rear and wheel it stock.

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:12:51 PM »
i wheeled a stock rig for a long time there is nothing wrong with it. You'll be amazed the places that a stock toyota will go. Just save your money for better things.  :twocents:
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:45:21 PM »
SAS anyway? putting 5.29s in the front IFS diff 7.5 would be a waste cuz you'll most likely have to regear the solid axle once your SAS...8"
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

ctdellerman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:37:38 AM »
I understand you guys aren't for putting money into an ifs but I forgot to mention that the 31's on it now are completely gone.  So to do anything I have to put new tires on it.  The 35's are on the side of my house and ready for use.  Aside from the cost of gears the ifs spacers and body lift are only about $275.  The 5:29's could be transfered so that cost isn't a complete waste.  How much weaker are the 7.5" 3rd's?  Is it out of the question to use 7.5's on a SAS?  Thanks, Eric
1987 4-Runner, elocker rear...gathering parts for SAS conversion
2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins Diesel 6spd HO.  Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Jammer II injectors, AFE Stage 2, MBRP 4" exhaust, Jacobs exhaust brake, FASS fuel system, Southbend Clutch, Carli Suspension, 3" Sway-A-Ways, custom Deaver leaf packs, custom long travel airbags, 3rd gen wheels, Lukes links, DSS, Royal Utility bed

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »
You CANNOT use IFS gears in a straight axle housing. An IFS ring gear is 7.5". A straight axle ring gear is 8".

runyotarun

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »
i have an idea for you,being IFS there should be a tortion bar setup, you can easily crank those tortion bars to give you an easy 2 inches(there will be lack of flex and a stiff ride!!)add a 3" body lift and the only thing you'll be rubbing on is your sway bar(if you rub at all)sooo......you can still use the body lift(so it wont be wasting money)and the tortion bar adjustment is free just follow the book. So to answer you question yes 35's should fit,just dont do the gears til you swap. :thumbs:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »
I wouldnt run 35's on IFS but thats just me....i hate fixing stuff
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »
Crank the torsion bars a lil, which is a huge pain in the ass, at least for me...I'm pretty light and was pulling my whole body off the floor with my arms.  Toss your sway-bar, and take a sawzall to your fenders...then grab a big hammer and bash in the corner of the floorboards...your tires will go right into em when you flex and turn at the same time.  Trust me man I wheeled a IFS 91 for 2 years.  The front suspension is pretty strong but I was runnin 33x14.50 boggers.  You see other rigs run bigger tires on IFS cuz they really don't wheel em.  I was in alaska at the time and really needed 4wd on the street alot through the winter.  After a full winter the front end was thrashed with the 33's.  My front diff was making weird noises, the CV's were shot...and what was really scary is I could move the CV shaft and it had about .75 inch of play between the hub and diff.
Go 1-Ton from the start

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2007, 01:17:21 PM »
Yes you will rub the front fenders when they are turned at extremes and flexed
I've got an 87 4-runner that I would eventually like to do an SAS on but right now can't afford all the pieces.  So I'm thinking of getting 1.5" balljoint spacers, a 1" diff drop and a 2" body lift(4 Crawler).  Will this give me enough height to clear 35's?  I would like to use 35's because I have 5 good 35" BFG Baja T/A's and I could have my gears done to 5:29 and be able to use them once I convert to SAS.  Is this dumb?  I just want to be able to do some decent wheeling while I gather the rest of my SAS parts.  Thoughts?  Thanks, Eric

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »
I agree with just saving your money for the sas instead of dumping money into IFS. ive known countless people who've done that and every one of them regretted wasting money on the IFS. just wheel it how it is because once you sas it wont ever be close to stock again :P

Plus you will have more money to buy your sas stuff sooner.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

95pinoyT4R

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:00:40 AM »
i myself wasted money on the IFS and now i regret it. It only makes you want a SAS even more.
but if you want to stick with the spacers i have them and if you want a 4'' IFS lift i have it as well. But i do not suggest it if you want to SAS in the long run. Just SAVE your money. learn from my mistake.

christyle

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »
i run a 95 stock other than some 32s, rear locker and sliders.  It goes alot of places you wouldnt expect it to....spend a lil money on some used 33s and run em til you can sas it.  a rear locker is under 200 bux for a lunchbox like the lockright i have, and it was the best thing ive done.  I run my tires at stock height with minor pinch weld bashing/fender trimming