Author Topic: HAVING TROUBLE SHIFTING IN TO 1ST AND 3RD ON G52  (Read 2285 times)

Dereks83Toyo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 76
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
HAVING TROUBLE SHIFTING IN TO 1ST AND 3RD ON G52
« on: Dec 18, 2006, 03:12:46 PM »
I INSTALLED A G52 IN TO MY 83 YOTA AND WONT SHIFT IN TO 1ST OR 3RD IT SOUNDS LIKE WHEN I SHIFT LIKE THE GEARS GRINDING AS THOUGH IT DOESNT GET SHIFTED FORWARD FAR ENOUGH SO I DRAINED THE GEAR OIL AND LOOKED FOR METAL IN THE GEAR OIL THERE WAS NONE BUT THERE WAS SOME CHIPS OF METAL ON THE PLUG NOTHING BIG BUT SOME NEED SOME ANSWERS IF ANYONE COULD HELP ALL OTHER GEARS WORK PERFECT NO LOUD NOISES COMING OUT OF TRANI OR NOTHING HELP :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :rivers: :inthedark:
derek e

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
1st Pull the shifter and check if the shift seat and shift ball is in good condition.  If these are worn/missing, it can cause bad shifting.

2nd.  Body lift?  Maybe the shifter is hitting the pan.  Remove shifter boot and verify if shifter is hitting metal.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
I INSTALLED A G52 IN TO MY 83 YOTA AND WONT SHIFT IN TO 1ST OR 3RD IT SOUNDS LIKE WHEN I SHIFT LIKE THE GEARS GRINDING AS THOUGH IT DOESNT GET SHIFTED FORWARD FAR ENOUGH SO I DRAINED THE GEAR OIL AND LOOKED FOR METAL IN THE GEAR OIL THERE WAS NONE BUT THERE WAS SOME CHIPS OF METAL ON THE PLUG NOTHING BIG BUT SOME NEED SOME ANSWERS IF ANYONE COULD HELP ALL OTHER GEARS WORK PERFECT NO LOUD NOISES COMING OUT OF TRANI OR NOTHING HELP :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :rivers: :inthedark:

Hey holmes, I think your caps lock is on.  :yupyup:

Is this the tranny you just got or the old one?

1st Pull the shifter and check if the shift seat and shift ball is in good condition.  If these are worn/missing, it can cause bad shifting.

2nd.  Body lift?  Maybe the shifter is hitting the pan.  Remove shifter boot and verify if shifter is hitting metal.

X2

Aaron's shifter seat was destroyed and you know how  well taken care of his truck is. And i'd check that body lift again...i swore you said something about it not shifting all the way when you first put in on... :headscratch:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
yep  pull that shifter boot  then drive  and see how  it does
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Dereks83Toyo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
thanks for the info guys pulled off everything wasnt hitting the pan took it to trani guy yesterday some how glass ended up getting in it and got caught between gears everything was fine just cleaned it up and resealed no damage to synchros or gears
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2006, 05:08:19 PM by 79Coyotefrg »
derek e

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Glass?  :yikes:
Central Valley Crawlers

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Dereks83Toyo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I dont know how the glass got in there but we got it out got back from guy yesterday but still having the problem will check shifter and ball thanks guys keep suggestions coming  :inthedark:
derek e

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
im guessing  your "tranny guy"   is  taking you to a cleaning,  probably  charged you  for  pulling the tranny apart  while he  had a cup of coffee

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Dereks83Toyo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Nope was right there watching him take it a part saw the glass coming out of it  :sleeping:
derek e

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
And he didn't look for anything else that would cause this problem while he had it apart?  :dunno:
Central Valley Crawlers

Dereks83Toyo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
yeah but he said that u cant really know untill theres a load on it
derek e

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile

I'm gonna run up the :bull crap: flag on this one :yupyup:

If this were the case:
yeah but he said that u cant really know untill theres a load on it

Then he wouldn't have been able to tell you this:

thanks for the info guys pulled off everything wasnt hitting the pan took it to trani guy yesterday some how glass ended up getting in it and got caught between gears everything was fine just cleaned it up and resealed no damage to synchros or gears

im guessing  your "tranny guy"   is  taking you to a cleaning,  probably  charged you  for  pulling the tranny apart  while he  had a cup of coffee

:yesnod:  you may have been standing there when he did it, but it sounds like he's still jerking you around.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent