Author Topic: 89 pickup project  (Read 2954 times)

yoter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
89 pickup project
« on: Dec 11, 2006, 10:39:27 AM »
I bought this truck to build on the cheaper note, and in my spare time. I will try and get some pics. Moter was down(ruined by droped valve) but I got another moter on the way as we speak. After that I am gonna start on the rear. I am mainly building this truck to  15% hwy road,15% climb/crawl, and 70% mud/trail. So mainly mud is the subject I guess. I was planning on running somewhere between a 36 Irok up to maybe a 38x12.5 swamper.(somewhere in there) Was gonna go with the Chevy rears, and a 3" body lift for sure. I think the chevys add 3" of lift If Im right? Was wanting around 6"-7" of susp. What can I do to achceive more on the suspension besides blocks. I have alot more ??'s I will ask later. Thanks

yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 89 pickup project
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2006, 03:31:24 PM »
Guess no one hear knows anything bout lifting toyotas?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »
Guess no one hear knows anything bout lifting toyotas?
  what year? that might help for starters...... :cheese:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2006, 04:44:11 PM »
I bought this truck to build on the cheaper note, and in my spare time. I will try and get some pics. Moter was down(ruined by droped valve) but I got another moter on the way as we speak. After that I am gonna start on the rear. I am mainly building this truck to  15% hwy road,15% climb/crawl, and 70% mud/trail. So mainly mud is the subject I guess. I was planning on running somewhere between a 36 Irok up to maybe a 38x12.5 swamper.(somewhere in there) Was gonna go with the Chevy rears, and a 3" body lift for sure. I think the chevys add 3" of lift If Im right? Was wanting around 6"-7" of susp. What can I do to achceive more on the suspension besides blocks. I have alot more ??'s I will ask later. Thanks

6 to 7'' of suspension lift is alot you could run 42'' tires with that much lift. Please consider a smaller body lift. Body blocks that tall get alot of leverage on them in extreme situations.  Why is finder trimming out of the question?
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:56:54 PM »
I dont mind trimming fenders, But I jsut dont like the looks of them on a truck that is not beat up.(yet) It says 89 Pickup in the Title

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2006, 09:57:53 PM »
Body blocks that tall get alot of leverage on them in extreme situations.

There is a lot of stress put on them, but if they're installed right, its no big deal.  I've got a 3"  on my '91 (been there since I bought it in '03)  and I've beat on it pretty good at different times.  The main thing is to install it right if you're gonna run them. 

Also, I've got chevies, got me 4" of lift w/o blocks.  I've got a total of 6-7" of lift, and when I had 37" MTRs, I had to trim the fenders some.  Not much, but some. 

IFS or SA?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »
I guess it just sounds like alot of unnecessary lift for that size tire. With 10 inches of total lift the center of gravity would be about shoulder high on your average man, and thats with37'' tires. I'm not trying to criticize but in my opinion that is too tall. A local friend runs a sas taco with lots of lift and 3'' body lift- It works and good too. his body/frame flex are causing his body bolts to pull through the body pan and turn the flat washers into cones.  Driving style makes all the difference but that high center of gravity mixed with a bad line caused this.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l268/gittinit/2006TO017.jpg
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

_HOIST_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 300
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:09:14 AM »
I run 36/1350's with my '89 with a SAS and only had to trim the rear fenders a bit. Let me know if you need any help cause I have the same year truck thats pretty built. And post some pics!