Author Topic: Anything for Hilux?  (Read 13035 times)

ariman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Anything for Hilux?
« on: Dec 11, 2006, 08:38:30 AM »
Hi Guys!

Does Marlin offer anything for newer Hilux? I have -02 4x4, looking better gearing to axles or tranny or anything... ?
I'm pretty much done finding axle gears and lockers, noone makes them, everyone offers Taco gears but nothing for Hilux :/
Maybe Marlin has something for my tranny?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Anything for Hilux?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2006, 08:45:13 AM »
welcome to the site, where are you located? in the US we no longer have the hilux, it hasnt been around for over 10 years, we have the tacoma know. can you post some pictures and specs of your truck so we know what you are dealing with
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2006, 08:52:16 AM »
Northern Europe, here is as much as i know about this truck: http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxgeneration4.html

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:05:13 AM »
im gonna go out on a limb and say: tacoma parts will work in your application

often times vehicle manufacturers will change names of cars in certain regions to better relate to locals, 99% of the time parts are interchangable. toyota is generally very good about interchange compatability, infact my 4runner has ALOT of japanese and australian landcruiser parts on it. and my subaru librerty, from australia, is almost identacle to the us version legacy.

what you need to find out is if you have an 8 inch, 8.4 inch, ect rear axle and front axle, then search from there, rather than for "hilux" parts

good luck-daniel

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:15:14 AM »

what you need to find out is if you have an 8 inch, 8.4 inch, ect rear axle and front axle

Nice, now could You tell me what i have, 8 or 8.4 and with 2 or 4 sidegears and what Tacoma axle uses this same LSD rear stock as in Hilux? Please Daniel... ;)

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:22:02 AM »
I think it might be easier to start with tranny, i found out it is R151F, 5 -speed manual, dont know if it is same as in early Turbo Taco. Maybe some development version? Anyways, that might be something worth to investigate... ?

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:24:06 AM »
well i could guess...but really you would need to find out yourself, too mant variables-

if you have a 4cyl non sport or TRD then you probably have a 8 inch
i believe most TRD lockers and lsds are 8.4 inch

hard to say, they even differ between auto and manual trans

what i suggest is taking a few pics and posting them, as well as getting all the numbers off of the axle id tag, front and rear, and contacting marlin or other marlin employees that have experiance with these axles

alot of people here, including myself, could probably tell you what you have if you posted pics though :thumbs:

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:26:42 AM »
I think it might be easier to start with tranny, i found out it is R151F, 5 -speed manual, dont know if it is same as in early Turbo Taco. Maybe same development version? Anyways, that might be something worth to investigate... ?
an r151f is a common tranny, i have one, however there arent any lower gears availiable for these, what we do is lower the low range gear set in the transfer case and axle to achieve a lower gear ratio. if you have a 151f then you may have a common transfer case that has parts availiable for it, or you could just buy a gear drive case from marlin built with lower gears as it will bolt up to your 151f easily.

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2006, 10:40:44 AM »
an r151f is a common tranny, i have one, however there arent any lower gears availiable for these, what we do is lower the low range gear set in the transfer case and axle to achieve a lower gear ratio. if you have a 151f then you may have a common transfer case that has parts availiable for it, or you could just buy a gear drive case from marlin built with lower gears as it will bolt up to your 151f easily.

Now we are talking :). And how do i figure out if i have "common transfer case" in my truck?
About tranny, thats what vin -plate says:

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2006, 11:05:02 AM »
Just found by accident transfer case type: VF1A with 1.000/2.566 hi/lo.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2006, 11:39:44 AM »
VF1A  is a chain drive case,  same as used in the taco's here,   the R151  does have gears available,   Marlin can rebuild them  with 5.15  1st gear.

i'll have to look up the axle codes
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2006, 02:38:51 PM »
Careful with your assumption dan, I seem to remember reading that the tacomas were built only for the us and other countries got different trucks altogether. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2006, 02:54:29 PM »
Ok, so some of those DO look very tacoma like, but still seem to have some differences. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2007, 08:58:26 PM »
ariman,

I am not sure if it has the Electronic Locking differential or not. As far as I know, only the Parado uses an E-locker over seas.

If it has an E-Locker, then it should have an 8.0" differential with 2 side gears.
If it does not have an E-Locker, then it should have an 8.4" differential with 4 side gears.

I can't gather too much information from the VIN plate other than the R151F transmission.

For the common American, it would be easy to assume that this R151F is the same as the USA 1986-87 Turbo 5-speed transmission, but I believe that Aisin updates model numbers that have not been used for 10 years. So I would assume that your R151F is the same as our R150F, with a 3.83:1 first gear and a left-hand front output VF1A chain drive transfer case.

If this is the case, then if you use our adapter part number 34-4GT, you will then be able to place a RF1A gear drive transfer case behind your R151F transmission, and then use our MC09 adapter to return back to your stock VF1A chain drive transfer case. Your truck will then have a dual transfer case system, and the gearing options in the Crawl Box would be a 4.00:1, 4.70:1 TS, or a 4.97:1, however I STRONGLY recommend using our 4.70:1 Total-Spline gear set for reliability concerns.

Here is a picture of our Marlin Crawler Crawl Box that should fit in the application I described above.
Please note our EXCLUSIVE Total-Spline Input Gear:

If you could get me a picture of your transfer case, and even better, of the rear of your transmission with your transfer case removed, then we could be much more accurate with the required application.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2007, 04:40:34 AM »
Thanks for reply Mike :).

I think You maybe wrong with the rear Mike, what I have found out it is common 8" with a LSD, same type found on late 4Runners and Lexus GX450.
Here is pic from mine, not so good thought:

Front is 7.5", maybe same as early 4Runners have, but I am not sure.

Transfer case is as We all know VF1A, but does "left-handed" mean same as passenger side? Anyways, it has a passenger side output.
Here is couple pics:

Sorry I cant remove TC, it is my DD 4 now.
Let me know if u need more pics.
Does this info change anything Mike?

Cracker

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '02
  • God, Corps, Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 07, 2007, 02:45:55 PM »
Ariman,
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say if you have a passenger side drop on the Tcase, you DONT have the same 7.5" front diff that we have in the Tacomas (95.5-present years). Although some of the innards of the Taco 7.5" are the same as the earlier IFS front 7.5" that we had from 86-95.5. I'm not sure if the gears are the same, as the Taco fronts are high pinion.

I did some looking on your axle code, and its hard to tell what you might have. But I have always seen that once they changed the "format" of the codes with the newer models after 95.5, that the codes dont always seem to make much sense, or actually match what is installed in the vehicle.

part way down this webpage is an example of the chart: http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

Further down is pics and example of our early IFS front diff (86-95.5)
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2007, 02:55:52 PM by Cracker »
Art

99 Taco
80 Hilux - 20/22R Hybrid, Dual Mikuni's, R151 trans, Budbuilt X-member
74 FJ40 "The Project"

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2007, 04:42:49 PM »
Ariman,
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say if you have a passenger side drop on the Tcase, you DONT have the same 7.5" front diff that we have in the Tacomas (95.5-present years).

From my previous post: "Front is 7.5", maybe same as early 4Runners have, but I am not sure."
My GUESS is -86 to -95.5 Pickups and runners may have same front. I am leaning more to 4runner, there seems to be some difference, TrueTrack has different part numbers.

Brian's pages are too old info.

Fongs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Oct '05
  • that`s the way to hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 07, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »
@ariman

from where you come....germany????
you talk from Hilux 02 thats right???
the Hilux and 4runner here have 7,5" Diff in Front and 8" in rear
I m from switzerland :)

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2007, 04:04:38 AM »
Hi Fongs, I'm from Finland.
Talking 02 Hilux, yes.
Yes, Hilux and 4-R has 7,5" front and 8" rear, but is my front with 1,3" axle shaft or 1,1" axle shaft???
There seems to be 2 choises?

Also, what is the difference with these 2 yokon setup kits? Is that axle dia?
 MC-14652, IFS 4Cyl Front Setup Kit
 MC-14653, IFS V6 Front Setup Kit

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2007, 05:05:50 AM »
why donīt you contact Arctic trucks (Icelandic truck builder company)  they are located in norway

http://arctictrucks.com/
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 08, 2007, 08:33:18 AM »
why donīt you contact Arctic trucks (Icelandic truck builder company)  they are located in norway

http://arctictrucks.com/

I did mail them last year, not heard anything so far...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2007, 09:01:12 AM »
yea  he has a  chaindrive  pass side  output,  with the same 7.5 front diff as  the  86-94 runners had here

A09B   A is supposed to indicate 7.5"
09  is a 4.22:1 r&p
 B=4 pinion

however in your case i believe  A 09 B  indicates  7.5 in front and 8 inch in rear
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

~tc~

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 08, 2007, 09:52:42 AM »
Note that driver's side/passenger side varies throughout the world! For our discussion here, the driver sits on the left side of the truck.

The ribs on the rear diff thirdmember make me think it's not the "normal" 8" diff, but my understanding is that the Hilux running gear was the same as the preTaco, about a generation behind what we got here in the USA. For example, solid front axles were available until (at least) 95.

ariman - If you could take a pic of the front diff, we could tell a lot. If it's the older "chunk" version, it will be easy, if it's the newer "clamshell" version, it might take some more research.
'93 4Runner, V6/MT ARB's, armor, 33's, no lift!

President, CO Chapter TTORA www.cottora.org

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 08, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »
yea  he has a  chaindrive  pass side  output,  with the same 7.5 front diff as  the  86-94 runners had here

A09B   A is supposed to indicate 7.5"
09  is a 4.22:1 r&p
 B=4 pinion

however in your case i believe  A 09 B  indicates  7.5 in front and 8 inch in rear

There is no 4.22:1 on Toyota. Mine has 3.91:1.

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 08, 2007, 10:16:16 AM »
Note that driver's side/passenger side varies throughout the world! For our discussion here, the driver sits on the left side of the truck.

The ribs on the rear diff thirdmember make me think it's not the "normal" 8" diff, but my understanding is that the Hilux running gear was the same as the preTaco, about a generation behind what we got here in the USA. For example, solid front axles were available until (at least) 95.

ariman - If you could take a pic of the front diff, we could tell a lot. If it's the older "chunk" version, it will be easy, if it's the newer "clamshell" version, it might take some more research.

Yes, we are not English here, driver seat is on the left side as we drive on the right side of the road ;).

Front IFS started -89 here.

Rear end looks very same as here on pic: http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0503_lexus_gx470_front_differential_upgrade_problem/photo_10.html

Standard 8" V6.

I come back with front fotos...

Found couple pics taken from underneath:

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2007, 11:31:56 AM by ariman »

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #25 on: Jul 08, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »
what I am saying about arctic trucks. They should have all the info about these trucks....  I know there is at least one Icelander over there that knows his stuff... Haraldur Pétursson   mabe you should try and reach him.

350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 08, 2007, 01:25:54 PM »
what I am saying about arctic trucks. They should have all the info about these trucks....  I know there is at least one Icelander over there that knows his stuff... Haraldur Pétursson   mabe you should try and reach him.

How do i contact him? Please PM me.

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #27 on: Jul 08, 2007, 01:53:28 PM »
He runs or works at arctic truck in norway.

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #28 on: Jul 08, 2007, 01:55:14 PM »
I will contact someone tomorrow to figure this out...

you need to know about your diffs ? right is there something else you wanna know.

you have a 2002 hilux with a 2.5 diesel

ariman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 08, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
I will contact someone tomorrow to figure this out...

you need to know about your diffs ? right is there something else you wanna know.

you have a 2002 hilux with a 2.5 diesel

Yes, Bazzi, thats correct. I would appreciate that!
My main concern if differentials: I know rear is 8" with 3.91 and LSD, front is 7.5" open and... what? Are those front axle shafts 1.1" or 1.3"? I'm looking for TrueTac aplication to front and there is 2 options, 911A342 or 911A445, witch one fits?
Rear should be 913A610, but i would be happy if someone could verify that too...

I 'm planning to regear too, but not sure yet if i do Marlin dualcase (<-if it fits??) or just axle gears.