Author Topic: 1979 Toyota Sunrader motorhome project, just go ahead and start laughing....  (Read 11259 times)

stressdaninjalo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
1979 Toyota Sunrader Motorhome Project:
( http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c326/stressdaninjalo/79toyotacamper.jpg )

Power to haul is what I'm looking for in my project (serious power to haul!!) I know this probably sounds really stupid BUT I want to haul cars cross country. Though, using a small 1979 Toyota Sunrader Motorhome (my mistake in buying)..... It will be pulling a car trailer hauling a car or small SUV (More then one if at all possible). The old engine (20r) (I swear to god if I new this piece of  crap was a 4 banger I wouldn't have bothered buying it. It was more of a get it now or F.U. type deal) I don't imagine would be able to take hauling one car as far as 2,000 miles (that is if I had to go that far, I really hope to god I don't..). I don't even want to think about hauling a couple cars or small suv's (thinking about this  thing of the side of the road dead with cars that need to be delivered makes me want to shoot someone). I'm looking at pulling one car at a time in the beginning (I'm trying to be realistic). Then later down the road 2 or more, once things pick up (I hear these Toyota truck guys talking about pulling a house, so 2 cars shouldn't be a problem right?).

So taking in consideration that the truck I imagine is already fairly heavy with the box attached and w/ appliances inside the motorhome (I have read so many articles about these things crapping out just because of the weight and crappy motor),
What all does everyone recommend I do to it? (Engine, Tranny, Gear Box, Exterior, Interior, Wheels & Tires, ANYTHING) Wheres a good start (besides the off a cliff)?

Do you recommend the 22r swap so performance parts are easier to get, or should I try working with this engine (how do you feel about this 4 banger pulling this much, I cant imagine..)? How about a Weber 32/36 carb with either engine? Do you think its possible to lift this thing and put 32" tires on it without any conserns driving it on the highway/cross county (I'm worried about its center of gravity having that box, I already rolled my is300 I don't need this thing rolling with a car on it)? Anyone know of anything, even if not "for sure" that could cause problems?

I intend to get this thing on the road by next summer, so I have plenty of time! It gets 18/22mpg, so I would like to keep the gas mileage at or above 15/17mpg if possible (not hauling that is). Gas mileage will be a factor in how much I ship for, so something like a 350 small block is completely out of the question ( Chevy, my first car was a Chevy and the  frame rusted out and the car became a "V" while I was at the movies with this chick. Her mom had to come pick her up and she never talked to me again. I could have hit that too...) .

I know this project probably sounds really really stupid (it is to me too, trust me). But go ahead and laugh (I'm laughing with you)!... I really want to become a car dealer and I am on a budget, I also would like some entertainment when I'm on the central and west coasts (reason for lift kit and for "appeal")! If I wasn't on a budget trust me I would go buy a Flatbed Car Hauler.

I bought this thing for $500 not knowing anything about it, not even knowing it was a 4Cly, so I'm trying to do my best with it (I saw it for sale for $3500 or best offer and left a note that said "$500 - call 301-6**-****". 2 months later the guy calls me and told me come come over with the money and get it "right now". He seemed really upset about what he ended up getting for it, hahaha....).

Its is a '79 and has sat most its life so its not perfect (I plan to paint the box and cab and update interior). Its really underpowered (I bet it runs 35's in the quater mile, Hahahaha. I'm scared to take it the track and find out. lol) But it does open a lot of doors for me (why did I buy this?? now I have plans for my life, this :pokinit: keeps getting worse and worse...). Selling cars is a way I know how to make money, If I delivered for up to 50% then the "other guy"  I would get a lot more buyers and I would make a lot of money. Having an available living area would make it possible, and being ready to live in it for 2/3 of the year is something I'm willing to do  more then I am right now for buying this thing... The problem is getting this camper TO deliver (It better), which with a 4cyl I have my doubts! If its not able to haul then I'll fix her up and use it for trips or something (saying that I can probably with the 22r and some light mods, make it not "crap out") or offroad if I'm able to add a lift (what are you going to do when your out in the middle of no where and a motorhome come out of no where and right toward you?).

So let me know guys, I want to do something with it besides turn it into a pickup truck (If i wanted a pickup I would have bought one) thanks a whole lot. ~Frank
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2006, 07:36:03 AM by 79Coyotefrg »

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
THere is a guy over on Pirate4x4 doing a merc diesel swap...maybe something like that with a little grunt low end?  You wouldn't need to deal with the divorced cased either.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:rofl:  DUDE  you cant  pull a seedo  with that  ,  :headshake:

you desparately need something full size to do what you are saying, 3/4  or 1 ton,  preferably with dual rear wheels  and a mid size to LARGE V8
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

stressdaninjalo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
you got a link for this guy? i looked on pirate 4x4 and not sure where hes under (site/forum). i want to look into that swap hes doing. maby ask him some questions : )! well im going to crash i'll be back on to see what crazy ideas anyone has! thanks again! ~frank

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
The only think that I would pull with that thing is a bike.  You can't pull an SUV with that and expect to stop.

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

kajo4x4toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
I commend you on trying to start up your own business but I think you are asking for problems trying to convert this into your company tow vehicle. No matter what engine you put in the camper, you will most likely be exceeding the GCVW of this vehicle when towing even a small vehicle. since it is a business venture and you will be on the road alot, you are running a big chance of getting into legal trouble. If you end up on the wrong road at the wrong time, your setup with a trailer is either going to at best get you into legal problems with the law or at worst severely injure or kill yourself or another person.

you could find a diesel powered full size cargo van, you could convert it into living quarters and have a large towing capacity. I wish you the best success on your endeavor but check out the legal aspects of your endeavor. Make sure you have a business license and are bonded.
1985 exo-runner

79-83earlyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
 :confounded:  In all seriousness.....you are gonna be much better off in the long run to scrap this idea, and start over.  This is NOT the vehicle you want towing other cars, no matter how you modify it.  :thumbdown:  You're gonna end up spending more money changing things around, than you would going with a different vehicle.  A 1979 Toyota motorhome has no business towing anything, even with a V-8 or diesel conversion, which is gonna cost alot of money anyway.  Stopping power is another major concern.  As mentioned in the post above, you would doubtfully be legal in any case.  You can probably get more than what you paid for it if you sell it off.  Get yourself a full-size 1-Ton Van, with a big block V-8, if you're looking for storage space and towing capabilities.  I know you're worried about gas mileage, but 4cyl. and 6 cyl. engines are NOT gonna cut it for towing, especially if you go through any areas with hills, let alone mountains.  Diesel is a way to fight this, as most diesel engines get better MPG than V-8 gas engines.  The best set up i've seen for what you are talking about......my boss owned a 1985 1-Ton GMC conversion van with a diesel engine.  It could tow very heavy loads, had a plush interior with captain's chairs, TV, fridge, 2-burner stove, sink and a queen size bed in the back.  He bought it for $1500 with 140,000 miles on it......and spent very little start-up money to get things going, other than light maintenance like oil changes, fuel filters, brake pads/shoes, and a new radiator to combat overheating with pulling extra weight.  Seriously though, start over with your plan.  Good luck.....just trying to help, and point you in the RIGHT direction!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2006, 07:41:56 PM by 79-83earlyota »

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

stressdaninjalo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Thanks, im thinking about taking it to the demo derby at this point, hahaha. I have a 81 Trans am with a 400 that should tow one car with no problem. I guess I could use that and do short distance delivery for now. Just fear anything happening to it as I got about 12k into it. Anyone have any ideas to what I should do to this thing now that its not going to haul anything??? I'm going to gut it out next weekend and sell off everything on ebay. Make some money to start playing around with it.

kajo4x4toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
I wouldn't destroy it like you are talking, if it is running I bet you could sell it for more than you bought it for to the right person.
1985 exo-runner

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Ebay it or something, it will sell.

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
Just out of curiosity where do you live? Do you plan on coming through Ca. with this set up? Please let us know your travel plan before you leave. :nerv:

Kevin

stressdaninjalo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I live in Maryland (east coast, near Washington D.C.), I dont think i'll be around CA anytime soon, sorry! ~Frank

stressdaninjalo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
....I doubt this thing would get me to CA. to be honest with you.

Hey well heres an update!! I have actually developed a brain I'm using, lol!!
Its going to be another long post about my new intentions/ possible project using my camper. But this time I have it a whole lot better thought out, and I know most of my limits with it and I've spent all of my friday and saterday not only thinking about it but doing my research. I'll just start another topic so I get away from my not so well thought out idea and previous intentions with the camper! It will be called "New Toyota Sundrader Project/ Ideas". Look for it. And thanks again everyone!! ~Frank