Author Topic: Driveshaft tubing recommendation  (Read 7864 times)

Ranski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Nov '05
  • I have no idea what I'm doing
    • View Profile
Driveshaft tubing recommendation
« on: Oct 12, 2006, 04:25:19 PM »
Well since we have determined the search function on the forum is not working properly, I am posting this question, knowing that it has probably already been addressed here at one point.

I'm looking for recommendation on what tubing I should go with when I have my driveshafts redone.  I have already ordered the 8" long spline shaft from MC and intend on putting the CV from the stock front shaft onto the rear shaft.

I'm currently running 33's w/ the MC 4" lift.  My wheeling style at this point isn't super hardcore however our trails out here do have lots of rock shelves and boulders.

The remaining budget on my build is getting pretty tight so I don't want to tube the DS with more than I really have to.  But then again I don't want to redo them because of damage either.
Randy
85' 4Runner w/ lots o' Marlin stuff (and I got the stickers to prove it)

81yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Driveshaft tubing recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2006, 04:31:07 PM »
dang, its all about the square beef driveshaft.  :twocents:
81yota
Locked F/R
39 TSL'S
5.29's
Dual Cases

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2006, 04:49:41 PM »
I like the square too. :thumsup:
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2006, 04:50:33 PM »
Who's building them ? Driveline Tech here in Portland does awesome work and you can get both shafts done for what some other HIGHly acclaimed shops charge. go with .250" if you plan on using your shafts as sliders. good call on swapping cv from front to rear AND BONUS POINTS FOR AT LEAST TRYING TO SEARCH!!!1 good noob.

http://www.drivelinetech.com/default.php

Ranski [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2006, 06:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll probably check out a couple of local shops first to see if I get them done here.

Randy

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2006, 07:06:43 PM »
What about using 2wd toy driveshafts for you new ones?  I have a few in my storage unit and was wondering if they would work for just this, not to mention you should be able to snag them from pnp super cheap.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2006, 09:37:51 AM »
After busting my rear shaft in two. I got it retubed to .096 2" to 2.5" (can't recall) I believe. Toyota was something like.07? so a thicker is better. Plus, IT is now a standard tube and not metric. So if I ever upgrade to a better tranny(have L43) I can get it shortened.
On my 80 toy...(old one) it bottle neck from like 3" to a smaller diameter. Now, it is all one size and paid $150 for tube and balanced...& u-joints.  Worked out great.
Side not. Because of the heavier shaft and a 20R stock 4cyl. I did notice a slight drag in rpm's in 2WD driving around town. In 4L it's all good.
Mike

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2006, 06:29:15 PM »
just use solid, i used 2 in sch 40 pipe cuz it had the proper od to fit inside the old shaft wich made my job alot easeyer to get it true and streaght, ive had the entire rearend supported by the drive line and i continued to try going forwards and it held up just alot of scratches

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2006, 02:12:54 PM »
I have found the perfect tubing for toyota driveshafts. I'm a machinist and when I done my first dual t-case I was digging in the stock rack at work for some heavy wall tubing to build my driveshafts with and it just so happened that I found some .156" wall seamless tubing that is almost exactly the same ID as a factory toyota driveshaft. Toyota driveshaft ID is 2.443 and this tubing is 2.438 ID. Thats only .005" difference so even if you don't have access to a lathe you can just use a die ginder on the ID to get your yokes to fit. Just don't expect it not to vibrate unless you put it in a lathe and make sure it's running true before you weld it, but I see people booty fab driveshafts all the time so I guess some people don't care if it's straight.

Here's the spec for it: ASTM A513 TYPE 5 HT-852649 ERW MT-1026 2.750 OD x 2.438 ID

This is some extremely strong stuff. I have built about 10 driveshafts out of this and have yet to see anyone even put a dent in it. I have seen someone bend a MC long spline slip yoke , break the ears off a yoke, and I hit mine so hard on a rock ledge that it knocked the u-joint cap out of my rear yoke. All of this and still no damage to the tubing.

I don't know where you can get it or what it will cost. I found a surplus of it left over from a job we ran, so needless to say it went home with me.

Something strange about this tubing is that it read on the side of it: "used for drilling of oil and gas" ?????? I'm not sure what it is, but someone told me it was used as drill shaft for drilling oil wells ?? I'm not sure , maybe someone out there knows what that means. All I know is that it works perfect for toyota driveshafts.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

Ranski [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »
WOW quite a few options.

BlueToy84:  I might have some connections in the drilling business.  I'll se if I can't track down some details on the tube you mentioned.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Randy