Author Topic: Bald Eagles and DDT.  (Read 1938 times)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Bald Eagles and DDT.
« on: Oct 01, 2006, 07:05:44 AM »
There is a story on CBSNews.com that I believe ran on the TV yesterday about the recovery of the bald eagle and whether it should be removed from the endangered species list.  Mentioned OVER and OVER in the story is role of the pesticide DDT in the decline of the bald eagle population.

In case anyone else watches this bit I wanted to clarify a few things.  There has never been a confirmed death of a bald eagle attributed to DDT.  The bald eagle populations in the US had already begun to recover during the height of DDT use.  There is, however, proof that bald eagle populations declined rapidly to to overhunting.

The DDT-eagle link is another story cooked up by environmentalists to fuel their anti-chemical pesticide crusades.  The first correlations between DDT and bird eggs were made by the now infamous Rachel Carson in her book "Silent Spring", named such for the lack of chirping birds in the novel...they were killed by pesticides.  It has become something of an enviro Mein Kampf.

Curious is the fact that this story runs not a week after the WHO publicly endorses the use od DDT to fight Malaria in the poorest nations of Africa.  Makes you ponder who has ties to what extremist groups at that station.  Once again the mainstream media shows it is as biased as the politicians it criticizes.

Here are the facts about bald eagles and DDT, you can read more about DDT by going here:   http://www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.htm

#

VII. Bald eagles

DDT was blamed for the decline in the bald eagle population.

#

Bald eagles were reportedly threatened with extinction in 1921 -- 25 years before widespread use of DDT.

[Van Name, WG. 1921. Ecology 2:76]

#

Alaska paid over $100,000 in bounties for 115,000 bald eagles between 1917 and 1942.

[Anon. Science News Letter, July 3, 1943]

#

The bald eagle had vanished from New England by 1937.
#

[Bent, AC. 1937. Raptorial Birds of America. US National Museum Bull 167:321-349]

#

After 15 years of heavy and widespread usage of DDT, Audubon Society ornithologists counted 25 percent more eagles per observer in 1960 than during the pre-DDT 1941 bird census.

[Marvin, PH. 1964 Birds on the rise. Bull Entomol Soc Amer 10(3):184-186; Wurster, CF. 1969 Congressional Record S4599, May 5, 1969; Anon. 1942. The 42nd Annual Christmas Bird Census. Audubon Magazine 44:1-75 (Jan/Feb 1942; Cruickshank, AD (Editor). 1961. The 61st Annual Christmas Bird Census. Audubon Field Notes 15(2):84-300; White-Stevens, R.. 1972. Statistical analyses of Audubon Christmas Bird censuses. Letter to New York Times, August 15, 1972]

#

No significant correlation between DDE residues and shell thickness was reported in a large series of bald eagle eggs.

#

[Postupalsky, S. 1971. (DDE residues and shell thickness). Canadian Wildlife Service manuscript, April 8, 1971]

#

Thickness of eggshells from Florida, Maine and Wisconsin was found to not be correlated with DDT residues.

Data from Krantz, WC. 1970. Pesticides Monitoring Journal 4(3):136-140.
State    Thickness (mm)    DDE residue (ppm)
Florida    0.50    About 10
Maine    0.53    About 22
Wisconsin    0.55    About 4

#

U.S. Forest Service studies reported an increase in nesting bald eagle productivity (51 in 1964 to 107 in 1970).

[U.S. Forest Service (Milwaukee, WI). 1970. Annual Report on Bald Eagle Status]

#

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologists fed large doses of DDT to captive bald eagles for 112 days and concluded that "DDT residues encountered by eagles in the environment would not adversely affect eagles or their eggs."

[Stickel, L. 1966. Bald eagle-pesticide relationships. Trans 31st N Amer Wildlife Conference, pp.190-200]

#

Wildlife authorities attributed bald eagle population reductions to a "widespread loss of suitable habitat", but noted that "illegal shooting continues to be the leading cause of direct mortality in both adult and immature bald eagles."

[Anon.. 1978. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Endangered Species Tech Bull 3:8-9]

#

Every bald eagle found dead in the U.S., between 1961-1977 (266 birds) was analyzed by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologists who reported no adverse effects caused by DDT or its residues.

[Reichel, WL. 1969. (Pesticide residues in 45 bald eagles found dad in the U.S. 1964-1965). Pesticides Monitoring J 3(3)142-144; Belisle, AA. 1972. (Pesticide residues and PCBs and mercury, in bald eagles found dead in the U.S. 1969-1970). Pesticides Monitoring J 6(3): 133-138; Cromartie, E. 1974. (Organochlorine pesticides and PCBs in 37 bald eagles found dead in the U.S. 1971-1972). Pesticides Monitoring J 9:11-14; Coon, NC. 1970. (Causes of bald eagle mortality in the US 1960-1065). Journal of Wildlife Diseases 6:72-76]

#

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologists linked high intake of mercury from contaminated fish with eagle reproductive problems.

[Spann, JW, RG Heath, JF Kreitzer, LN Locke. 1972. (Lethal and reproductive effects of mercury on birds) Science 175:328- 331]

#

Shooting, power line electrocution, collisions in flight and poisoning from eating ducks containing lead shot were ranked by the National Wildlife Federation as late as 1984 as the leading causes of eagle deaths.

[Anon. 1984. National Wildlife Federation publication. (Eagle deaths)]

IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Bald Eagles and DDT.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2006, 07:12:20 AM »
:eek:

i had a pair  build a nest  in a huge  old Pine  on my property  a few years ago,  i'm going to guess they were a young  pair  that were looking  for there own territory.  they  had  1 baby that year, then the next year  they had two,  then in march the following year  a storm blew the tree down  :rivers:   and i havent seen them since :rivers:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »
I'm sorry to bring up sore memories Glen, but they are probably doing well, just had to find another nest site.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »
I see so frickin many of them every year.  I could tell you almost to the tree where one is sitting right now, he's there every time I've ever hiked back from the lake.  I thought they were finally off the endangered list though?!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2006, 11:39:17 AM »
It is being discussed currently whether to remove them or not.  They are worried about whether the numbers will decline again.  You would think thye wouldn't be worried as there is no spraying of DDT in the US, but maybe they really do know that it is hunters, not pesticides that are the danger.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2006, 02:29:27 PM »
eagles are yummy  :drooling:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2006, 06:46:45 PM »
Being an avid hunter I see no way I'm involved in the declination of the bald eagle populations.  A "hunter" doesn't shoot a bald eagle, we're actually one of the most conservationally aware groups. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »
Im an avid hunter as well and hunters are the reason so many of the endangered species are doing so well now.  :tantrum:
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2006, 08:19:24 PM »
I didn't mean you ya idiots...I meant hunting in to 1890's to the 1940's.  Obviously hunters today are much more conservation minded, the eagles are doing MUCH better aren't they?
:gap:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2006, 08:38:04 PM »
....Good recovery....

Yes, hunters of old weren't near as conscious of all as we are, but I'm sure there were still a fair share of them.  It just wasn't quite so macho to care about anything back then.
RIP KYOTA