Author Topic: Driveshaft help!  (Read 1735 times)

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Driveshaft help!
« on: Sep 26, 2006, 02:44:14 PM »
Okay guys, here's the deal...

I put a W56 in my 1980 so I need to get my driveshafts retubed. I had JE Reel quote me $850 for the job. Seems the driveshafts are pretty shot, need new U joint, all new tubing, pretty much rebuilding both driveshafts completely and putting a long travel slip on there for future duals. I know this is a bit of work and I would like to do this right the first time, but DAMN, $850 is more than I was looking to spend. I'm in Southern California, and was hoping on some guidance here. Is there another shop I should try that you guys have had good luck with? Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Re: Driveshaft help!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
Front or rear ,this is how i did my rear. (trail only) It definately needs ballanaced for dd status. I hope this helps.

Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2006, 02:57:51 PM »
Have you looked into a square front shaft? Cheap, strong as hell, and unlimited slip. With the money you save on that you can buy more parts for your buildup.  :twocents:
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2006, 02:59:37 PM »
Where in socal and What are your mechanical skills? I can make new d shafts  but I cannot balance them. Also I don't think there is a readily avalible slip that will allow the amount of movement of future duals, I could be wrong. If you are asking for a extreme travel d-shaft then that is why the High price. I think a freind of mine just had his rear d-shaft redone for less than a couple hundred. "Oh Shoyrtt" :gap: He can tell you where he had it done. If you can rebuild the joints then a retube should not cost more than $200 each and I think that is high.

let me know if I can help
Wayne

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2006, 04:05:47 PM »
I spent over $400 on a front driveshaft and if I had to do it again, I would have built a square front shaft and spent the money on something else.

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2006, 04:16:23 PM »
I should mention that this truck will be a DD trail rig... I'm new to the sport so I'm not looking for anything "extreme." The long travel slip is what I will need when I go duals so I might as well get it now, but a future retube will still be necessary when that time comes. As far as my mechanical skills, they're pretty basic. I can't weld and pretty much learn as I go.

So I guess what you guys are saying is that I can get away with a square front driveshaft since it's not in use in normal 2wd on-road driving? I always thought square driveshafts were for trail only rigs, but it makes sense that the front wouldn't be a problem... keep that suggestions coming!

Oh BTW, I live in Costa Mesa, but the truck is stranded in monclair right now at CalMiniTruck with no way of moving itself.  :shake:  Oh, and I'll also mention that it's been over 6 months since I've had a daily driver  :shocking:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2006, 04:24:33 PM »
As for the dd part, I've had my truck in 4hi with a square shaft up to 65 with little to no vibes.
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2006, 05:03:28 PM »
find a 84-88  truck with the same cab/bed size  and get the shafts from it,  done deal
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way