Author Topic: buick 231 swap?  (Read 13074 times)

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
buick 231 swap?
« on: Jan 17, 2004, 04:46:51 PM »
lately i've been looking at some different options for more power for my truck.  i'm kind of interested in a 3.8l buick v6.  it seems i can come across refurbished motors rather easily, and there's a decent aftermarket.  i've seen all the 4.3l chevy buzz, but i don't want to be destroying my drivetrain all the time.  i don't exactly want to go too high in horsepower/torque since i'd like to keep most of my drivetrain toyota.  i'd like the bigger motor for being able to make it across the pass with my fishing boat and camping gear in the summer time

if i did this swap, i would run a r150 or r151 tranny and dual 23 spline transfer cases.  i see downey makes most parts needed for the swap, such as motor mounts and a bellhousing(though i saw something about a certain stock bellhousing that fits the r150/ax-15?)

i've heard the buick 3.8 is only around 25lbs heavier than a 22r too, but i'm not positive.  i've also tried finding info on the 3.4l chevy engine, but not much luck there.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re:buick 231 swap?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2004, 06:35:37 PM »
all I can say is that with a few years working for Buick , that the 3.8 even fire motor is a good motor. the early vrison (odd fire) is a good motor too, just shakes you a bit!
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2004, 06:46:48 PM »
Back in the eightys, the big Buick 3.8 was the was to go. However due to low oil pressure (the pump is in the timing cover, and when it wears out, the cover must be replaced).  Blown head gaskets (there are very long half moon water ports at the end of the heads and few head bolts) Water leaks at the end of the intake mainafold, small 1/4" water pump bolts that rust and break off. :_oops:
The engine is wide .........
Sorry, but I think the motor is a boat anchor :moon:
Have you concidered a 2.7 150 hp Tacoma?
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2004, 06:51:53 PM »
got ta agree with marlins points. he's right, I never "played" with the 3.8s just worked on them in them "stock" set-ups. they did fine running mom to the store, but can see how the things marlins saying would not make them ideal for a swop.

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2004, 08:06:02 PM »
thanks for the help, guys :)

those are some good points to consider.  how hard exactly would it be to get a 2.7 in?  i'd imagine i'd have to fab up motor mounts for it, and reroute the exhaust, since it's on the passenger side.  plus i'd have to get the harness, since nobody makes a standalone one yet.  would be a cool motor to have though

i would kind of like the torque that a v6 engine provides, but i'm still very open in my options since i haven't set anything in stone yet.

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2004, 09:31:30 PM »
what year is your truck? 79-83 don't have a lot of room.

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:51:18 PM »
it's a '79

4.3 headache

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Aug '03
  • keep goin!!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2004, 11:38:11 PM »
hey! maybe look for an 85 or newer 2wd w/ efi  sometimes u can pick them up in L.A area for 800-1000$ and u will have evrything u need . 22re will run better than ol' wore out 20r.
   2.7 taco too much hassle & money . would be cool bt for that money might as well go 4.3!     :)
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get!!

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2004, 01:32:55 AM »
i've also found some info on the 3.4l gm crate engine.  wonder if anybody out there runs this...seems to be halfway between a 22re and 4.3:  160hp and 200lb torque

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2004, 07:41:47 AM »
sorry , can't help ya with that one.

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2004, 12:16:03 AM »
Go with a 22RE with a header, torq cam, and it should get it done for ya
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:02:21 PM »
i've also found some info on the 3.4l gm crate engine.  wonder if anybody out there runs this...seems to be halfway between a 22re and 4.3:  160hp and 200lb torque

I thought about this one myself. Not an overly large or heavy powerplant. 60 degree so it's even fire and better balanced than the 90 degree engines. Can run a Edelbrock manifold with a 390 cfm Holley or keep it EFI. You'd need to use a 96-99 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing to connect it to a R series gearbox, or an 88-99 Jeep 2.5L bellhousing to connect to a W56 gearbox. To use the R151F you'll need to swap in a Jeep AX15 input shaft and input shaft bearing cover. You need the Camaro/Firebird 3.4L (thicker) flywheel and 10 spline clutch. Use the Dakota hydraulic trowout bearing assembly.

I have other data else where. Have to locate it on my work PC....
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
Re: buick 231 swap?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:15:27 PM »
I had one of these in my '80 once - hated the damn thing.  Nothing but broken /busted GMparts ALL the time.  Forget this idea.

Currently running a 4.3L and lovin' it.  Lot of options for mods, etc.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2005, 10:05:46 PM »
all I can say is that with a few years working for Buick , that the 3.8 even fire motor is a good motor. the early vrison (odd fire) is a good motor too, just shakes you a bit

Years ago I test drove an old cj5 w/odd fire buick and it almost sounded like a v8.  I've always wanted to do this conversion(even fire) too since it takes the least fabrication, and I don't wanna do a body lift or molest my firewall to clear a distributor.  From the pics I've seen the buick looked like it fit quite nicely in the older trucks too, never looked terribly wide to me, but that coulda been camera angle too.  I think I'd rather run a 302 than a 4.3 or 350, but that's just me.  The 3.4 chevy is based on the 3.1, which is based on the old 2.8 isn't it?  I know they supposedly worked out the kinks, but I don't really trust american car builders when they say that kinda stuff.  Just my  :twocents:     Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2005, 10:18:58 PM »
Yeah,

I'd prefer the 302 too. Rather have an inline six but that puts one back in the Supra engine conversion mode and no 'correct' solution to using a R151F.

It takes a bit of effort to install the 3.4L Chevy engine, gathering the correct pieces. Especially when a 3.4L Toyota is also available.

Wish there was a 'correct' solution to using the 3RZ-FE with a R151F.

JR
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2005, 11:42:02 PM »
Another option, albeit expensive, is there's a guy on ebay that is always selling imported toy diesels, has a 3L w/4by tranny for $2750.  I REALLY want a toyota diesel 4by but don't have the funds to pick up one, let alone in the early body style.     Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -168
  • Male Posts: 202
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2005, 07:44:14 AM »
dude ive been running 231 buick for 7 yrs i have two trucks that have that motor one is 87 regal and another 86 those motors r great with the t 350 trans its all the power u need unless your tractor pulling r something go to big ol yotas and u can see its a good fit well it also is simple to work on as well less expensive all round i hope ull find the light.... :_order:  :driving:

Bob Garrett

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Lone Star Land Cruisers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2005, 10:57:37 AM »
Another option, albeit expensive, is there's a guy on ebay that is always selling imported toy diesels, has a 3L w/4by tranny for $2750.  I REALLY want a toyota diesel 4by but don't have the funds to pick up one, let alone in the early body style.     Nate

Might be ok as long as you don't loooong waits for parts  :shudder:

Bob
Bob Garrett
95 FZJ80
83 Mini Truck

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2005, 10:31:53 PM »
LOL, odd coincidence that this thread came back to life just as i got the 22R and new tranny bolted into my truck :yupyup:

Bushmaster

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2005, 02:46:29 AM »
Just thought i'd add my two cents on this. It might help some other people. I have a 231 in my '83 Toyota 4x4. Let me tell you this. If you use stock buick engine mounts, you WILL break them. As for what Marlin said, I have no leaks. The small bolts in the water pump won't break if you replace them with stainless steal ones. :P Get a high volume oil pump. I bought an after market high volume front cover. The new front cover has an actual seal rather than the stock rope seal, so i have no more leaks there. The whole engine does not leak a drop. Make sure you widen the oil passages in the crank or you will strip a gear off the distributer. You can bolt a Turbo 350 tranny straight up to a 231. With an adapter you can bolt that to the stock toyota transfer. That's the setup i'm running and have yet to break any of the toyota running gear, just the GM stuff. You will need to modify the bump stops on the front ends or you will smash your starter and oil pan. You will also need stronger springs in the front if you don't want the front end sagging. The engine is a little wide, but it fits with ease. You can use the stock buick exhaust crap, but i'm replacing mine with headers and dual exhaust.

If any of you guys are interested in a 231 setup, message me, maybe i can give you some pointers.

Greg55_99

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2005, 06:26:01 PM »
stick with 22R :)
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:10:50 PM »
A buick 3800 is a 231.  231 is 3.8 liter, or 3800 cc, hence being called a 3800.  I like em myself, but then again I've never run one so what do I know  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2005, 10:13:11 PM »
the 3800 is a 2nd gen 231.  pretty similar but it's got a 60* chevy bellhousing, and all of them were EFI and lots were supercharged.

and for a little update, my engine's specs are now as follows:

'82 22R block, .040 over, decked, cast pistons, moly rings
'79 20R head, fully rebuilt, oversized stainless valves, ports massaged, milled.
offenhauser C series intake, weber 32/36 carb
thorley tri-y header

this thing RIPS!  it feels like it's got close to 150hp...

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2005, 01:14:19 PM »
I bet that's fun!  Yours is set up much better than mine.  It's a stock 22r block and stock 20r head, 32/36 weber and unknown brand 4 into 1 header.  It usually does alright, but could use more still.  I'd like to set one up like yours, but for all that cash I think I could convert to a 302 and have all the grunt I need.
RIP KYOTA

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:56:27 PM »
it isn't all that bad when i've looked at it.  i could've done it a TON cheaper by just going with the 20R head and my weber in the beginning rather than building the 22R which had a warped head and kept blowing gaskets, and broke a cam.

by going with the 20R head in the beginning i would have saved:
$300 on having the stock carb rebuilt(big mistake, the guys were idiots)
$35 having the 22R head resurfaced
$100 for a new cam after the original one snapped
$100 in miscellaneous gaskets, fluids etc

let's see how much i've got into my engine in its current form:

machine work: about 600-700 for everything(this includes having the block bored and honed, washed and decked, rods rebushed,  having the 20R head completely rebuilt with my new valves and seals etc)
master rebuild set: $250
ARP head and main studs: $170
EPN stainless O/S valves, 268c torker cam, bronze guides,  retainers, springs and alll: about $200 or so
offy manifold: $150 used
weber: free, came with my truck, but i paid $20 for a rebuild kit and $50 for a box of jets
thorley header: $189 from summit

so, that puts me at a bit under $1800.  not bad for a peppy little engine that screams when you hit it hard, bolts directly in to most any toyota pickup, and isn't too terrible on gas(though i'm sure i could get it better if i had an A/F gauge to get everything tuned spot-on).

and yet, i still have ideas of what i want to do with it next.  my current thought is to get my hands on a single DCOE cannon intake, run a TWM DCOE replacement throttle body on it, and rig up fuel injection with SDS or megasquirt...

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 22, 2005, 09:38:25 PM »
 :yikes:  $1800!  Yours is much better built than mine, but in my current state this is how it goes:

81 block from my old 2wd - paid $1500 for truck, got hit by suburban, they gave me $2000, block has 350k mi or so and doesn't even seem tired or make wierd noises.

76 celica head - bought 79 truck and 76 celica for $50, parted out for $50 = free head

junkyard header for $30

weber came on truck, rebuild kit cost $15

electric fuel pumps are free  :wink2:

$5 for metal strap to mount ps pump

$50 for a hybrid that smokes any engine I've had to date in a toyota (truck atleast)

I do have some goody parts for the next hybrid though:

NOS Mikuni cam for about $50-60 off ebay

NOS Holley 4bbl manifold for $80 off ebay

NWOR header for $120 off ebay

ATK rblt 22r block with 35,000 miles from $300 parts truck, parted out $300 in parts = free block

Free 20r head from our engine rebuilder, just hafta pay cost of him rebuilding it, expecting around $200 maybe ?

Figuring on about $75 or so for OS valves for 20r head

Figuring on about $300 for new holley 390 carb

That's a little under $800, probably add on another $100 for other miscellaneous parts.  That puts me right about half of your cost, but yours will undoubtedly outrun mine with ease.  I'm not gonna go inside the block at all like you did, not that I wouldn't want to, just don't see myself doing it.  It's really funny how your (people's) mind works.  You start thinkin how cheap it would be to do a build up, then before you know it you've either met or exceeded the cost of buying one or having a nice one built for you.  I know yours would have cost substantially more to have a shop build, but if you stay fairly simple I would think a shop could cut a pretty good deal on a basic hybrid.
RIP KYOTA

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2005, 08:05:33 AM »
just think of it this way...ever see how much shops tend to charge for a plain jane 22R rebuild? :scared:

even at $1800 i'm well ahead of a lot of guys that dump a lot into add-ons.  if you do ANYTHING, spend your money on the head!  that's where you'll get the most gain...

my engine was replacing a 20R with 300,000 miles on it.  even with a 4 speed i found myself downshifting into 3rd gear a lot on the freeway, the engine was just that worn out.  still fired up and ran every morning, even with a massive vacuum leak.  when i bought the truck it burned about a quart of oil every 2000 miles, by the time i yanked the engine, the front main had blown and i had run it down to a quart of oil a few times!  still ran fine, just got horrible mileage.

now it lives on, being that i had the entire top end rebuilt and put it on my 22R.  well, it's probably at least as twice as much power as before :ladys-man:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2005, 11:53:03 AM »
Oh yea, it's a far cry from the stock 20r!  I drive up the same steep hill on I5 to work every day, and judge each upgrade by what speed I hit the top at.  20r was 50-55, 22r was 55-60, and with hybrid if I hit the bottom doing 65, I hit the top doing 65, long as there's no wind.  Sometimes I can even hit the bottom at 60 and top at 65.  Can't wait to see what it's gonna be like when I get the other engine together.
RIP KYOTA

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2005, 04:54:14 PM »
if i gas it her good, by the time i'm at 55 i've still got 2 gears left!