Author Topic: full size axles on a DD?  (Read 2276 times)

CaliZuki

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 57
  • Male Posts: 85
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
full size axles on a DD?
« on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:32:18 PM »
anyone in CA have a daily driver yota with full size axles? the reason i ask for CA is that e have abunch of crap rules . ( being towide) it would probly be fine as long as i run mud flaps. now a question for all. I want to run 37s or 38s off road and probly 35s  for when im driveing around town.   I have a dana 60 and ford 9 inch for the rear. i think i have a 14bolt front around somwhere. if not i will look for one. the truck this maybe going on is a 82 short box. any input on this will help. thank you

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: full size axles on a DD?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:15:53 PM »
My buddy has a danna 44 up front and a T-100 rear axle with 39.5 iroks. He has a flatbed but no flared fenders or anything. In the back he set up his own quick release mudflaps but he has none up front. Before the iroks, he used to daily drive it in Chico, and make routine trips on the freeway and commuted a lot. At that time he was running 35s. He has never gotten pulled over. Now, the iroks have only been on about a month so we will see. I have a feeling they will ride his ass about having wider fenders up front. Its a wide truck, but has everything it would (logicaly and reasonably) need to be to pass law enforcement regulations(but we all know how them coppers work).

If anything, they will just hassle you a little. I think as long as you arent exceeding the frame-to-ground height limit for your truck's weight range, you should be fine. He has been driving it with fullwidth axles for over a year though, and considering how many richard cops there are here I am still amazed they havnt at least stopped him just to see what they could get him for. Cant help you with the axle question because im not quite sure what you are asking. Search around the Buildups forum, a lot of guys run those axles so looking at what other people have done should give you some more insight. Hope this helps. Take it easy
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:20:32 PM »
Oh, yeah, there is lots of good information to be had about pretty much everything here:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19277.0
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

CaliZuki [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2006, 08:17:29 PM »
sorry i forgot a few things. what gears should i use if im running the stock 22r carbed? i was thinking 4.88 because of it being a DD. and ill be running duel Tcases so i think my crawling should be good still. and my freeway driving. ( 95% or my daily driveing is free way). how wide of a tire should i run for my DD? when im off road ill probly run a 14.5 to 16.5 wide tire. thanks

CaliZuki [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2006, 02:30:40 PM »
any info? i want to do full size axles under my 82 toy. but i live in CA and wee all know that CA sucks for mods.