Author Topic: Are toyota front inner axels strong enough for my application!!!  (Read 3490 times)

Doc Holiday

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Hey guys, dont know if i asked this question before, i tried looking for it in my threads but dont see anything about it, i got this 80 toy with 5.29 gears soon to be with 36 inch tsl swampers, it has a aussie locker in the front and welded rear, im running a 20r engine with 4 speed tranny, my question is, do i relly need to get the entire longfield 4 piece set or could i save my money and just go with the 27 spline longfield birfs and keep my stock inner axles ?
How many of you guys ever broke a front stock inner axle ?
or the front inners as strong as a rear axle ?
Thanks.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
You are really going to get a lot of mixed responces to this question.

My truck weighs about 3300 pounds, and I ran stock front inner and outer axles for two years with 180 ft-lbs of torque from the engine and a 510:1 Crawl Ratio with 35" tires.

I never broke any axle, and when I took the front end apart a couple of weeks ago, everything was in great shape.

In my opinion and experience, it all depends on how you wheel your truck, especially when your steering is near the stops. The greater the angle of turn, the weaker the joint becomes and the greater the probability for failure to occur. There were many situations when I had no choice but to peg my wheel all the way to lock and proceed, but I was very careful not to let the front axle get too bound up, and I especially avoided bouncing the truck, which from what I have seen other drivers do, is one of the most common ways of breaking a front axle. Having the wheels pegged and getting on the throttle so much that the truck bounces is definitely one recipe for axle failure.

I am now running 27-spline longfield outers with our new 10-year cromo inner axles. I did this because I've recently upped my engine torque in excess of 225 ft-pounds and I am now running much heavier 37" tires.

I am so certain that I will not break any front axle, that I have adjusted my steering stops to the maximum angle that the Toy front axle can turn. So I have maximized my chances of breaking an axle by increasing my available turning angle, but at the same time I have greatly decreased my chances axle failure by using much stronger axles.

lilbuddy just broke a 27-spline longfield up at this years Sierra Trek. He has a longbed 1st gen with 37" tires and a Dual Marlin Crawler. I don't know what he was doing at the time, but I am willing to bet that he had his wheels turned nearly to their maximum angle.

Once you understand what it takes to break an axle, you can then take the necessary steps to avoid axle failure. This is why I wrote an article about Birfield failure back in 2001: Why do Birfield joints fail?

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2006, 03:03:48 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Thanks big mike, by the sounds of it i will just go with the Longfield 27 spline birfs!!!!! i do alot of mudding so ya, one more question, will the longfield 27 spline birfs fit into the stock front inner axles ?
Thanks again dude  :wave:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Hey guys, dont know if i asked this question before, i tried looking for it in my threads but dont see anything about it,
yes, u have like 5 times. :shake:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Thanks big mike, by the sounds of it i will just go with the Longfield 27 spline birfs!!!!! i do alot of mudding so ya, one more question, will the longfield 27 spline birfs fit into the stock front inner axles ?
Thanks again dude  :wave:
the longfields  wont work for you,  you really need  is -------->  http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm#alloyfrt
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Bottom line here is your driving style, if you are a cautious wheeler and don't stress out your equipment you may lke myself never break an axle, well I did break one once but that was an IFS. You from what I have seen on driving style need as much help as possible. Go get some D60's and maybe you won't break those.

:driving:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

sof'indetermined

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
true if you are careful you wont break them.there are guys here running 35+ in tires with stock running gear and they do just fine but better safe then sorry right??
if youve ever broken an axle out in the middle of nowhere and had a long ways to go to get home you would just get the inners too. not that much more money and then you will have extra inners and birfs and although you probably wont anytime soon if you break one youll be okay because you have your extra stock ones. or just be careful. whatever.
83 yota that wheels
04 wrx wagon that hauls butt
assorted crap that mostly doesnt do anything

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
You from what I have seen on driving style need as much help as possible.

Gentlemen, which brings me to my next point: Don't smoke crack.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile

lilbuddy just broke a 27-spline longfield up at this years Sierra Trek. He has a longbed 1st gen with 37" tires and a Dual Marlin Crawler. I don't know what he was doing at the time, but I am willing to bet that he had his wheels turned nearly to their maximum angle.

Well I was on a downhill, wheels turned all the way to the right in reverse backing uphill and SNAP! Im runnin 37s with a front aussie and it broke. And no, I wasnt getting it either it was at like 1200rpm
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Well I was on a downhill, wheels turned all the way to the right in reverse backing uphill and SNAP! Im runnin 37s with a front aussie and it broke. And no, I wasnt getting it either it was at like 1200rpm

Always gotta remember metal over time builds a memory strength it will like being twisted one direction over another and the older that piece gets the better (or worse) the memory becomes. Then when you try to reverse that memory (by backing up in a bad situation) you will get to hear that dreaded ping sound of an axle snapping. That is also one of the main reasons you never ever want to pull a stuck rig while trying to back up, puts the load on the wrong side of your memory.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
510:1 Crawl Ratio

!!!!  :yikes:

510:1 in action :eek:

Dude, I keep telling ya, your Carb 22R is an all-encompassing POWER HOUSE! [mitch]yeahhh...[/mitch]

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile

Dude, I keep telling ya, your Carb 22R is an all-encompassing POWER HOUSE! [mitch]yeahhh...[/mitch]

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!

yeahhhh
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
doc, with your setup, you need to run at the minimum 2.5 ton rockwells front and rear, everything else is just asking for breakage
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Gentlemen, which brings me to my next point: Don't smoke crack.

:rofl:  Thats a line from "The Waterboy"  !!!
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
:rofl:  Thats a line from "The Waterboy"  !!!

hahaha gotta love good ol #56