JJJ

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
3.0L
« on: Aug 31, 2006, 07:57:05 PM »
so why does everyone hate the 3.0L. what is bad about it. im not sticking up for it im just wondering

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 3.0L
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2006, 08:09:08 PM »
its very prone to blow headgaskets

some dont, but those that do ,do it often
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:26:39 PM »
Its a turd in stock form. I have it in my 95 4Runner and it gets horrible mileage and is just plain slow,but has not yet popped a head gasket.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:31:58 PM »
It also doesn't put out much more HP than a decent 22R(E), given it's weight.  On the plus side though, it LOVES timing(22* or so, IIRC), at the expense of MPG.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:37:25 PM »
It also doesn't put out much more HP than a decent 22R(E), given it's weight.  On the plus side though, it LOVES timing(22* or so, IIRC), at the expense of MPG.

Yes it does :yupyup:  I've got decent gas mileage though :dunno:
Its a turd in stock form. I have it in my 95 4Runner and it gets horrible mileage and is just plain slow,but has not yet popped a head gasket.

I think thats cause you've got a runner :thumbs:  I've got it in my xcab, and it isn't bad.  Its not fantastic, but it isn't bad :dunno:

I Hate these motors, but then again, I went through 3 of them in a year.  However, when you get them to work, and they aren't blowing heads, they run well.  I have discovered that it is much easier to swap motors than to do a head job, but thats just my :twocents:  There isn no reason to run from them if you find a good deal, but you should know what you are getting into if you do buy one.

Big thing with these motors is KEEP THEM FULL 
full of coolant, and full of oil.  YOu do that, and they will run, but if they get low, say :wave: to those headgaskets
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:44:14 PM »
Yes it does :yupyup:  I've got decent gas mileage though :dunno:

I haven't seen worse than like 14-16(with about 22*), but I get like 18-21 with my half-ass-built 22R.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:55:56 PM »
I haven't seen worse than like 14-16(with about 22*), but I get like 18-21 with my half-ass-built 22R.

I actually get about 18mpg average.  I've gotten as high as 21 on the freeway, and as low as 10  :dunno:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2006, 10:04:09 PM »
I actually get about 18mpg average.  I've gotten as high as 21 on the freeway, and as low as 10  :dunno:

That's pretty good! Although, I only have experience with one 3.sl0.  :thumbs:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2006, 10:11:39 PM »
That's pretty good! Although, I only have experience with one 3.sl0.  :thumbs:
This is number 3  and so far, it runs the best by a long shot (and looks the worst :hahaha: )

-Ronald Reagan

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2006, 10:12:28 PM »

I Hate these motors, but then again, I went through 3 of them in a year.  However, when you get them to work, and they aren't blowing heads, they run well.......  I have discovered that it is much easier to swap motors than to do a head job........ but you should know what you are getting into if you do buy one.
..... say :wave: to those headgaskets
see attached thread :rofl:   http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26288.0
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2006, 05:21:18 PM »

-Ronald Reagan

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2006, 07:07:40 PM »
 :rofl2:  that list is all true, I hate the 3.0L    :maddest:
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

Voss

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:49:04 AM »
i have one(3.0L)with 212,000 + had not trouble get about 18 to 23 mpg it is weak!

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:07:17 AM »
I have to admit that I laughed my a$$ off at the list that BlackDog put together, because I too own a 3.0L (Auto tranny even) and have felt all the growing pains of most what was listed.  I don't it hate now, because it runs awesome.  I do however, wish it had some more nuts under the hood.  With some mods here and there you can squeeze out some extra horses.  When/if it explodes, I certainly won't put another 3.0 in.

I say, run it 'till it dies (if it does), then look at swapping in 22re, 3.4, supra, chevy, etc. (tons of options)...

My  :twocents:
***  SAS'ed '94 ext. cab - V6 auto - 4.88's - TrueTrac front & rear  ***