Author Topic: Timing a "Built" 22re.  (Read 2371 times)

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
Timing a "Built" 22re.
« on: Aug 22, 2006, 02:46:53 PM »
I've searched around here for a while and I got tired of hijacking other people's threads, so here's my own.

I need some advice from you guys running hopped up 22re's.  I've got oversized valves, minor head work, a header and a cam, just to give some background on my situation.  I've checked my timing and I'm getting 12 degrees BTDC at idle.  I'm idling around 1100 rpm.  I know it seems high but the normal 750 rpm feels too unstable for some reason.

When I race the motor, the timing goes up to around 47 degrees advanced or so.  It sounds way to high, but I don't notice any pinging or knocking or anything.  Also it's running pretty well on 89 octane.  I didn't think the stock system even had that much advance built into it.  Oh yeah, I checked my timing without jumping the diagnostic terminals TE1 and E1.

Finally, I notice sometimes the motor putts at any sustained rpm.  It almost sounds like a miss.  Like when I hold constant 2000 rpm in neutral the motor pulses through the exhaust, I can even see the motor rock on the motor mounts when it pulses.  Any ideas?  Thanks a lot!   :)
Welders Hold the World Together!

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Timing a "Built" 22re.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2006, 07:20:34 PM »
first off did you degree your cam? have an adjustable timing gear?

then have you opened up your afm and fatten up yet?
Im an OG

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2006, 12:54:54 PM »
I did open up the AFM 5 clicks.  I don't have a air/fuel meter, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants at the moment, but the motor is running pretty good.  It's getting about the same gas mileage as my stock 22re. 

I did not degree the cam shaft.  I just assumed it was installed correctly, but you what happens when you assume.  This weekend I gotta change my oil and check valve lash, so I'll check cam timing then.  What about should it be?  Thanks.
Welders Hold the World Together!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2006, 11:00:19 PM »
I've heard that you can't do very much with the stock efi without causing problems.  If you're drawing in substantially more air, you're running too lean and may not be able to adjust through the afm to compensate.  Hit up bigmike or reklund5 to see if either of them have suggestions or ideas.  I don't know what would be invovled, but you may need to run bigger injectors. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2006, 07:49:08 PM »
First off, you MUST set your base timing with the diag port terminals shorted, or you effectively have no idea of your base timing.

Start by setting your base timing to 5 degrees with the terminals shorted.  Also, double check your TPS settings to be sure you're IDL contacts are working properly.  If you don't have that set properly, your idle and everything will be screwy.

I experienced a miss in my engine at about 2000 RPM cruising under light throttle- it turned out to be my timing was too far advanced.  I ended up running mine at about 7 degrees, and I always run premium fuel.  My engine has a TRD Stage II cam, TRD Header, and a gasket matched intake.  I also polished the intake runners and had the injectors balanced.  Depending on your altitude, you may be able to advance the timing more than that.

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo