Author Topic: New Clutch Slipping?  (Read 3742 times)

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
New Clutch Slipping?
« on: Jul 31, 2006, 06:14:24 PM »
I just got my truck back from the shop, drove it for the first time in 3 months!  I put in a new clutch, flywheel, TO bearing, and it drove and shifted fine on the way home.  But after I got home I went to double check the torque on the crankshaft pulley so I put the truck in first gear, put the torque wrench on the pulley bolt and procedded to torque.  The wierd part is that the motor spun when I went to tighten the pulley.  The driveshaft wasn't moving, but the motor spun as if the tranny was in neutral.  Is it possible the clutch could be so weak that I could turn the motor with a wrench and the clutch engaged?  It's a new clutch and I didn't notice any slippage during driving.

I also noticed some oil coming out from the bellhousing.  Could it be that the rear main seal is leaking causing oil to get on my clutch and make it weaker?
Welders Hold the World Together!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: New Clutch Slipping?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2006, 06:42:13 PM »
if the oil is leaking, your clutch is going to fail pretty soon, if its enough oil from the rear main.....

whoever did the tranny isntall should have noticed this and told you about i

what were you trying to torque it to? because even without the tranny engaged, it takes a good amount of torque to spin the engine.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2006, 06:55:30 PM »
First gear is going to be the easiest to be able to turn the engine.

Try 5th gear, it will give the most resistance and hold the engine from turning.

Does the clutch slip in high gear when you are driving it? If not there is nothing wrong with your clutch.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2006, 07:20:37 PM »
I don't know what you put in there, but I tried to rotate my crank in first gear w/my new 1600# Marlin clutch.  Forget it, I moved the truck, not the crank.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:09:18 PM »
this my be to obvious was it in gear??

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2006, 01:47:59 PM »
Well, I did the clutch install myself and I didn't notice it leaking until I got the motor running.  There was like 3 weeks between the clutch install and the motor running. 

I didn't get above 4th gear on my drive home, but I didn't notice slipping.  I got to 5th but only left it there for a few seconds before going back to 4th.  It lugged the motor down, for those few seconds, though.

The clutch is an LC Engineering 8 7/8" Pro clutch.

I believe the torque spec is around 115 ft/lbs, but my wrench only goes to 100, so that's where it was set.  The wrench is about 15 5/16" long.

Alpine4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Im special
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2006, 01:34:19 PM »
With a rear main leak your clutch will get saturated in oil and be shot.  happend to me.
1986 Toyota 4Runner-SAS-22re-Comp Cam-Downey Headers-Bored .40 over-Flowmaster-Full Rebuild-6" Lift-35x14.5 Boggers-Lockright f/r-Geared-Hysteer-Being full rebuilt!
-Rolled and sold-
1989 V6 Ext. Cab SR5  1.5" BJ spacer lift, 2" custom shackles, 33x10.5 swamper tsl radials, cragar steelies, marlin ceramic clutch.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2006, 01:52:39 PM »
put the truck in 4th or 5th and try it again,  and with the tcase in 2 or 4 HI  not low

if the engine turns  you got trouble,  make sure its not just turning the crankbolt
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2006, 01:53:58 PM »
if the rear main IS leaking,  get it changed

clean the clutch disc and PP with brake cleaner
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2006, 02:05:21 PM »
So how long can I drive the truck before the clutch goes?  Can I go a week or 2 or should I just let it sit til I get a chance to fix it?  I've only driven it so far for like a 1/2 mile since I noticed the leak.  Or maybe it'll go bad just sitting anyway?

Alpine4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Im special
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2006, 02:31:59 PM »
It will go bad if you drive it real quick.  The oil will burn on the clutch disk and screw things up real bad.  If the clutch is porous(not sure probably) it may absorb the oil and then your scrwed too.
1986 Toyota 4Runner-SAS-22re-Comp Cam-Downey Headers-Bored .40 over-Flowmaster-Full Rebuild-6" Lift-35x14.5 Boggers-Lockright f/r-Geared-Hysteer-Being full rebuilt!
-Rolled and sold-
1989 V6 Ext. Cab SR5  1.5" BJ spacer lift, 2" custom shackles, 33x10.5 swamper tsl radials, cragar steelies, marlin ceramic clutch.

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2006, 03:02:38 PM »
It's a standard fiber disc, it would probably be like a sponge.  Thanks for the advice.

Alpine4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Im special
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2006, 04:26:49 PM »
Ya id get it out asap or prepare to buy a new clutch.
-Rolled and sold-

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2006, 04:55:19 PM »
I bet it is ok. The problem with oil on a clutch (aside from the more obvious problems) is that it will loosen the clutch fibers.

As long as you haven't driven it for hundreds of miles like that, you really should have nothing to worry about. Even if it is saturated with oil, once you fix the leak, the oil will slowly burn out of the clutch when you use it.

Granted you burn the oil out before it loosens up the clutch fibers.

Was the flywheel resurfaced during the install?
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »
Are you sure it is the rear engine seal and not the front trans seal? If it is the engine seal it should not get on the clutch so much because it is behind the flywheel and will fling off the back away from the clutch. On the other hand the front trans seal will leak rite into the clutch, I had this happen. The seal got rock hard an leaked like crazy. Easy fix, but you have to remove the trans to do it just like the other.

Alpine4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Im special
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2006, 05:57:48 PM »
By rear seal we mean rear main seal on the trans.  If the leak isnt fixed bad mojo.  I wouldnt think that burning the oil off the clutch would be to ogood..im sure it owuld still be used but it might be weakened?
-Rolled and sold-

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2006, 06:02:05 PM »
Oil on the clutch would make for some hard spots on the flywheel from getting hot. Best thing is to fix it ASAP, if it in fact is oil soaked.

You may be able to see it through the fork boot hole without taking it all apart.

Alpine4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Im special
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2006, 06:47:20 PM »
Ya i know my flywheel needed 5lbs shaved off.  it was scorched form the oil burning on it.  My mechanic kinda looked at me funny when iw ent and picked it up.
-Rolled and sold-

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2006, 08:29:11 AM »
I put in a new flywheel with the new clutch.  The oil leaking out looks more like engine oil than heavy wieght tranny lube.  It's pretty thin (SAE 30 is what I run) and golden colored.  I'd liove to take it for a drive to see what the clutch does, but I'm afraid of burning up my clutch and having to buy a new one.
Are you sure it is the rear engine seal and not the front trans seal? If it is the engine seal it should not get on the clutch so much because it is behind the flywheel and will fling off the back away from the clutch.

I thought about this too, but maybe the oil pressure would cause it to spray all over the bellhousing?

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2006, 11:58:02 AM »
I put in a new flywheel with the new clutch.  The oil leaking out looks more like engine oil than heavy wieght tranny lube.  It's pretty thin (SAE 30 is what I run) and golden colored.  I'd liove to take it for a drive to see what the clutch does, but I'm afraid of burning up my clutch and having to buy a new one.
I thought about this too, but maybe the oil pressure would cause it to spray all over the bellhousing?

centrifugal force would prevent it from getting on the clutch from behind the flywheel. I would have to be leaking from the center of the crankshaft or fill up the bellhousing.

Why do you think the clutch is wet? Drive it and see if it slips or chatters, If it is wet it may chatter. I doubt you have a problem other than an oil leak eather the crank seal or front input seal of the tranny.

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2006, 03:48:24 PM »
I thought the clutch was slipping when I tried to tighten up the crank pulley bolt and I spun the motor with the tranny in gear.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2006, 06:57:01 PM »
If it slipped that easy you would not be able to drive it cause it would slip too bad. If it don't slip when driving forget about having a problem with the clutch and concentrate on fixing the oil leak.

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »
Well, I went for a ride and didn't notice any slippage.  I made it to 5th gear, no trouble.  I also found some steep hills and came to a dead stop on 'em.  I restarted on the hills in 1st with no problem.  The clutch seems to be OK.  I'll keep an eye on the leak and my oil level for a few more days before I rip the tranny out.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2006, 02:56:37 PM »
:thumbs:

Stinky

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 636
  • Member since Aug '05
  • my wifes vagine, it hangs like a sleeve of wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 09, 2006, 06:59:33 AM »
ya...ure gonna go through about 4-5 cans of brake clean maybe more....mine was saturated, i used 7 cans n there was still ooil comin out of it....dont kno how long it was drivin with the leak...but when i swapped in the tranny i just bought a new clutch, since it is cake to change a clutch....and when theres oil in the clutch it creates hot spots on the flywheel n warps the hell out of it...so gettin it machined before u re-install :biggthumpup: ....just my :twocents:
87 p/u SAS, 22RE, built, then cut up and scrapped

94 ex cab P/U, SR5, fully loaded, 3.4 swap, r150f, a/c, bumpers, 33s, glass fenders...sold

00 Stoopid Duty 250, ex cab, lariat, v-10,000

94 reg cab, 22re, duals, 38.5 boggers, sas, 4 link, tube bed, build underway... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967836

88 Samurai, soa, buick 3.8, th350, zuki case, 1/4 done... anyone wanna buy it??