Author Topic: Power Steering Questions  (Read 3050 times)

KyYota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Power Steering Questions
« on: Jun 26, 2006, 06:40:38 AM »
Wanting to upgrade my power steering a little after driving a friends Yota around this past weekend.  I'm running a 2wd steering box and pump (my truck started life as a 2wd so it's what I had available and didn't find any differences durin gmy research except the sector shaft being a little smaller).  I'm on 36's open front (locker ordered today), and hy-steer.  The steering is horrible.  I've got some serious bump steer and you basically can't trun the wheels when sitting still.  My buddies (first one I've been in for comparision) is locked on 35's and I could turn it sitting still with 2 fingers.  He's running the IFS box and pump and same hy-steer.  No other mod's to his.  The only thing I can see different is his' pitman arm is longer by about 2"'s and he is running the stock steering wheel (mine is smaller than stock, again, what I had).  Both of those will give a little more leverage but I wouldn't think that much difference.

So, I'm wondering if the pumps are the same for 2wd and 4wd? 

Also, has anyone modded the pump (drilled out the orifice) and ran a stock box?  To much flow?  Will it just destroy the seals in the steering box or not make any change to the feel of the steering?

Any help is appreciated. 

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Power Steering Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2006, 06:58:27 AM »
are you talking about a power steering pump or a regular box? my truck is 2wd, and i have manual steering.....

yes the 4x4 and 4x2 are different, i dont know by how much, but i do nkow the 2wd mounts to the frame with 2 bolts and the 4x4 mounds with 3 bolts....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KyYota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2006, 07:15:16 AM »
The '85 2wd truck I started with had power steering.

My question was related to the power steering pump.  Is there a difference between 2wd and 4wd on the pump>  Higher pressures, higher GPM.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2006, 07:49:34 AM »
i dont have a 2wd pump to look at but i would definitely get a ifs truck steering box  and a 4wd pump,  and if you have one of those piss ant steeringwheels junk it and get a steering wheel as close to stock diameter as possible

dont try and drill out the 2wd pump  :headshake:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KyYota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2006, 08:12:54 AM »
So are you saying you think the 2wd and 4wd pumps are different or that I shouldn't mod the pump for more flow?

I have a 4wd pump and IFS box, but don't have the time or resources (right now anyway) to re-do the mounts for the box and cut out the rad core support to get it moved far enough forward (I'm right up against it now).  I had planned on swapping over come winter, but right now, to many trails that need to be riden.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2006, 07:12:13 PM »
At least in the aftermarket, there is not a difference in 2wd/4wd as far as pumps go.  I can't see that(or why) there would be.  From what I have here at home, 81-87 carbed trucks use one pump, and 85-87 injected and turbo'd trucks use another.  I'll see if I can dig up anything else.

Bones1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 53
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2006, 03:30:28 PM »
Just a little info, I use a box and pump out of an 87 4x4 wirh a straight pitman arm from sky and a grant steering wheel and I have no bump steer and can turn with 1 finger. I would recomend getting a newer pump due to the fact  of from what I herd is volume with in the pump its self.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2006, 03:42:50 PM »
At least in the aftermarket, there is not a difference in 2wd/4wd as far as pumps go.  I can't see that(or why) there would be.  From what I have here at home, 81-87 carbed trucks use one pump, and 85-87 injected and turbo'd trucks use another.  I'll see if I can dig up anything else.

are you sure on this duffil? not sure on the pump capacity or specs, but the 4x2 pump (at least the manual steering) mounts with only 2 bolts, not 3 liek the 4x4..... ill get pictures to back this up if needed
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2006, 09:32:39 PM »
are you sure on this duffil? not sure on the pump capacity or specs, but the 4x2 pump (at least the manual steering) mounts with only 2 bolts, not 3 liek the 4x4..... ill get pictures to back this up if needed

you are thinking box, not pump, as per your previous post:
are you talking about a power steering pump or a regular box? my truck is 2wd, and i have manual steering.....

yes the 4x4 and 4x2 are different, i dont know by how much, but i do nkow the 2wd mounts to the frame with 2 bolts and the 4x4 mounds with 3 bolts....
  And yea, I am sure, I have catalogs here at home.

79toy20r

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2006, 12:26:58 AM »
So if you are running a stock 2wd box....would the gearing in the box be different?

KyYota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2006, 11:35:42 AM »
I'll check the lock to lock turns on the box (2wd and IFS) tonight, but I thought I did that before (like December last year) and they were the same.   :think:

KyYota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2006, 12:01:54 PM »
Finally checked the steering ratio/lock to lock turns on the 2wd and 4wd steering boxes.  They are the same.

I went ahead and changed out to a stock steering wheel and that seems to have helped by giving me more leverage.  Actaully, it is a sizable increase I think.  Still not as smooth/easy as other Yota's I've driven.

So, now I'm thinking that my PS pump is wore out.  I'll be swapping that out to my spare soon.