Author Topic: How To Make Your Samurai Doors Removable  (Read 16790 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
How To Make Your Samurai Doors Removable
« on: Jun 21, 2006, 12:25:21 AM »
First remove the inside limit straps on door then with the door closed tap the screw bolts on with a chisel to break them loose. Do not just try to loosen them with a screw driver or power driver this will just strip the heads. Once you have them loose you can then remove them with a screw driver or screw drill and they will come right off. Door hinge is sealed to the fender so a little prying will be required to break it loose, be very careful at this point since the door will fall off once you have the hinge loosened.

Once you have the doors removed you can now cut the hinge so that it will slide off but make sure to cut only the top part of the hinge leaving the bottom portion alone. A cutting blade on a drill will work if it is all you have or even a hacksaw will get the job done. Once you have cut the top portion of the hinge it will more that likely slide off the pin that holds it all together, if it does not come off you may have to spread the cut portion a little to have it slide off. Now slide the pin out of the door hinge, if it does not want to come out use a small hammer and a punch to knock it out.

Now cut the pin to at least a 1/2 inch long, if it is any longer you will not be able to remove the door  since it will be to long on the bottom hinge. If it is a little shorter that a 1/2 inch it is no big deal but you don't want it to short. Now with a file round the top of the pin for better mounting and you can also clean up the part of the hinge you cut. If you paint the hinge make sure not to paint the pin or it will become difficult to reattach the door. In fact get some emery cloth and shine the pin up a little, it will make it easier to slide the door hinge over the pin.

Next remount the hinge without the door, leaving them snug but not loose. Slide door hinge over fender hinge and check for fit Now realign the door and tighten fender hinges. Check to see if door opens smoothly, if it hangs up loosen fender hinges and adjust them again. Repeat this until your door opens without any drag on the door closer.

The old door limiting strap can be used but if you do use it you'll have to undo it everytime you take the doors off. I have done and seen a few different ways to make quick disconnect straps. One way is to use luggage or sport bag straps with those plastic clips just cut to fit and you are done. I have used
old seat belts, old rear seats are best, just take the clasp end and cut the strap off and mount the clasp to the kick panel where the old strap was.  Then take the other end open your door to just before it hits the fender and attach it to the door at the original mount point and using the original plate fold the belt over, punch the holes in the strap and screw it on. On this one I used what was handy, there were some old bikini top straps with Velcro that came with my Sammi and were not needed for the strapless that I bought so I used those by punching a hole in the center mounted them to the doors and the through the original kick panel mounts. Don't think I'm going to leave it this way but you really want a limit strap since if you let the door go it will hit and bend the fender some.

Now the very last thing to do is if you have a door light and the door ajar signal pull that sucker out and cut it off or you'll be hearing that beep noise all day long.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006, 12:36:59 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: How To Make Your Samurai Doors Removable
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2006, 12:32:46 AM »
 :turtle:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2006, 12:35:30 AM »
 :turtle3:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2006, 12:38:44 AM »
 :driving:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2006, 10:42:09 AM »
:drool:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Slowzuk

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 169
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2006, 03:57:35 PM »
I did that but i didnt even take my hinges off. I cut all the hinges while on the zuk. 8)

Good writeup tho!  :beer:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2006, 05:42:54 PM »
I did that but i didnt even take my hinges off. I cut all the hinges while on the zuk. 8)

Good writeup tho!  :beer:

I did it so someone with limited tools could get it done, if you look closely I only did take one hinge off.