Author Topic: New Cobra  (Read 7242 times)

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
New Cobra
« on: Jun 19, 2006, 09:54:29 PM »
Went to the saw shop in town to get a new antenna and ended up walking out with a new radio, coax, ant and hardware :shake:
 Picked up a new Cobra Soundtracker 75 WX ST. The entire radio is totally self contained in the mike.

Soundtracker -cuts noise coming in, strengthens signal going out
40 channels (of course)
10 weather channels
one touch emergency ch 9
one touch info ch 19
Illuminated LCD display
squelch
key lock
channel saver
dual watch channel monitor- monitor two pre-selected channels simutaniously
full channel scan
4 memoery locations
10 flex mike cord
quick disconnect

Installed it today with a new Firestick II antenna and now I need to tune the antenna with a freinds swr meter. Its a nice compact unit.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: New Cobra
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2006, 10:16:28 PM »
those r nice. I almost bought the same one off ebay. Instead I got the cheapie Cobra. Now I wish i had got that one. It has a really small base unit that can be stashed away in a glove box or something, right? Also, if u have the doors off or something u can just unplug the handset and take it with u so your cb dont get jacked
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2006, 07:13:50 AM »
Thats the one i'm planning on getting. post a 4wheelin trip test  for  us. Have you tried the distance?
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2006, 07:35:52 AM »
Soundtracker is cool, but remember it only works when communicating to other Soundtracker-equipped Cobra units.

Nice grab :thumbs: You loose spender :yupyup:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

KYOTA [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2006, 08:01:14 AM »
Thats the one i'm planning on getting. post a 4wheelin trip test  for  us. Have you tried the distance?

dunno yet, just installed it and still need to tune the antenna. I got the 2' Firestick II, I went with the 2'er because I relocated my antenna mount to up tp of my B hoop on my flatbed. The radio guy at the shop said I would loose some distance but if properly tuned not too much. I'm not really concerned because we use our radios mostly for trail groups and dont really need to reach out max distances (except for emergencies I suppose) If the shorty doesnt cut it I will replace it with my 4' Wilson.

Soundtracker is cool, but remember it only works when communicating to other Soundtracker-equipped Cobra units.

Nice grab :thumbs: You loose spender :yupyup:

OIC, I need to read thru the manual and get familiar with all the features, but overall so far I really like its compactness.

those r nice. I almost bought the same one off ebay. Instead I got the cheapie Cobra. Now I wish i had got that one. It has a really small base unit that can be stashed away in a glove box or something, right? Also, if u have the doors off or something u can just unplug the handset and take it with u so your cb dont get jacked

Yes the junction box is roughly 1.5" x 1.5" x 3", I pulled an existing bolt holding part of the heater system on the passenger side firewall and bolted it down there, completley out of site, and the mic cord is 10' coiled so theres plenty of reach. The rest of the radio is contained in the mic/handset

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »
Kyota or Mike, what is the soundtracker function?  :qtip:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2006, 06:51:47 AM »
All-in-one mics are notorious for having wiring problems with the mic cord over time.  Don't pull/strech it too far or bend it near the mic or box end connector.  Those wires in that cord are REALLY small.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:55:54 AM »
All-in-one mics are notorious for having wiring problems with the mic cord over time.  Don't pull/strech it too far or bend it near the mic or box end connector.  Those wires in that cord are REALLY small.

it's a feature that comes with some cobra CB's! it cuts down on interferance! but i don't think it matters what the other person's using...it's all the same...i think it would work best with another like it though!
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2007, 12:04:11 PM »
the all in mike cb's are that great for long range if you looking for distance you should go with a regular cb radio
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:02:26 PM »
the all in mike cb's are that great for long range if you looking for distance you should go with a regular cb radio

this makes no sense to me.
RIP KYOTA

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 08:23:23 PM »
this makes no sense to me.

do to me.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: