Author Topic: transfer boxes........  (Read 8853 times)

Mudmax

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
transfer boxes........
« on: Dec 25, 2003, 12:53:01 AM »
I have started my new project truck  :flamer:, a 1990 4 runner. It has a R150F box and the transfer box seems to be crook, it makes a clicky noise when i spin the output shaft for the rear diff and the front output shaft jumps a bit?? It has vacumme actuators on it, could it be not quite in gear propperly or does something sound smashed?? :smack:

I have a 84 box with a pto transfer box, can i bolt that  transfer box on to it and get away from the vacuum activated box??? :_order:

Is the R150F setup better or should i scrap the 150 and bolt in my 84 4 speed box complete??? :help:

The engine going in is a supra 5M-GE 2.8 twin cam 6 :shocking:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re:transfer boxes........
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2003, 01:01:52 PM »
I have a 84 box with a pto transfer box

WHAT?  :yipes: WHERE DO YOU LIVE? What do you want for that PTO box?????  :disturbed:

can i bolt that  transfer box on to it and get away from the vacuum activated box??? :_order:

No, you've gotta convert from a Chain t/case to a Gear t/case first. You'll need our adapter P/N#: 30-4GT since you've got a 3.0L 3VZ-F engine. This adapter retails for $349 but I bet Marlin will trade it straight for your PTO t/case. Can you find another one to use for your setup if you trade the PTO for the adapter??  :disturbed:

Is the R150F setup better or should i scrap the 150 and bolt in my 84 4 speed box complete??? :help: ..........................The engine going in is a supra 5M-GE 2.8 twin cam 6 :shocking:

If you swap out the R and put in your G52/4, then with that I6 engine I would give the G trans maybe 10,000 miles tops. 5th and 3rd will be the two gears to go out first. The 'G' series transmission is the weakest aluminum 5-Speed 4WD transmissions that Toyota has ever made.....While the 'R' series is the strongest 5-Speed 4WD transmission Toyota has ever made. In fact, the 'R' trans is still being used today in a 2003 5VZ-FE V6 Taco with a TuRD Super Charger package option. So it will handle your 5M like a baby. 'R' transmissions have bearings supporting 5th gear on both sides so its stronger, runs cooler, lasts longer, end of discussion hand down the R is much better than the G.

Now your PTO transfercase will not work behind a 'R' series transmission because the R-trans has a 23-spline output while your 84 t/case only has a 21-spline input. So you will need to either swap in a 2.4L 22R-TE Turbo (1986-1987) RF1A Gear Drive 23-Spline Input gear into your t/case -- direct bolt in -- or sale your 84 case and find a 23-Spline case from an 86-87 Turbo pickup.

Let me know what your thinking...

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Mudmax [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2003, 09:52:42 PM »
Well the suck thing is i live in New Zealand...... So its going to cost a fortune to get the tx box to you.... But yeah the non pto boxes are everywhere, so if that was the option it wouldnt be a problem... these pto ones are 1 in 100000000....

The next suck thing is i have removed the engine and bellhousing from my 84 truck and removed the bellhousing from the G box and found IT WONT BOLT UP TO THE R BOX!!!!! :reg:

SO the other options i have is swap the R box for a W56 box which might last a little longer than the G box this way the bellhousing will go on and i can convert the rest of the truck to be non electric 4x4 switching..........
Or slap the G box in which has had the 5M pumping into it for a little while now and run it untill it Explodes :down: and then go find a W56 box and put that in.......

Unless i go and split down both the 5m bellhousing and the F box bellhousing and weld them together.......

Now for the strange thing, This truck ran a 2L-T diesel but has the V6 running gear........ so there is a bellhousing to fit the 2L and 3L engines to the R150F box....

:smack:

Any ideas............ :slap:

Mudmax [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2003, 11:54:47 PM »
Might just do the bellhousing cut and weld. then i get the Rbox.... Is the input shaft length the same for the G,W and R boxes? or do i have to muck round with the bellhousing heaps top get the right length??

Most of all what would you do???

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2003, 10:50:07 AM »
Hey Mudmaxx,,

I started thinking "84 4 speed box" -- that can't be USA or maybe its a 2WD? and so this is a bit out of my league.

I will have Marlin check this out and see if I can get his knowledge posted here later today.

So you want to use the 'R' bellhousing right? Then why not just keep the 'R' trans and use it? Did you know that a R151F (US-spec 22R-TE 2.4l Turbo Petrol Hilux 1986-1987) 5-speed transmission has a rear tailhousing that bolts right up to the older gear drive style transfercases like the ones you've got?

Going to get Marlin here later,
Mike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Mudmax [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2003, 12:59:39 PM »
OK, i want to keep the R150F box but the bellhousing wont fit the 5M-GE engine, and the bellhousing i have that fits the 5M-GE wont fit the R150F.....

Mudmax [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2003, 01:01:17 PM »
Oh we never got the turbo petrol hilux's in New Zealand so cant find one of those tail housings..........

Mudmax [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2003, 03:24:43 PM »
Will have to cut and weld belhousings i guess..

Still leaves a pto transfer box sitting on the shed floor.......

Anyone got info on these computer controlled 4x4????

Oh big question, How strong is the chain transfer box?? you guys swap en out but you rock crawl, we dont rock crawl here, no rocks just mud and soft pummice, oh and plenty of slippery clay!!!

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2003, 09:44:21 PM »
Mudmax...where do I start;
In North America the last year for a 4 speed gear box was in 1982 and was called a L45. G52/54 gearboxes are always 5 speeds and are found only behind a carborated 22R gasoline engine from 84' to 88'. The G trans does not have a good service record and would be a poor choice behind a 2.8 5M-GE. I have only heard of two PTO gear driven t-cases and I own them both! The R150F trans is only found behind a 3.0 EFI V6 engine and always has a first generation RHD chain driven t-case. This t-case bolts to the R150F trans using nine 10x1.25 mm bolts with 14mm socket heads and has a 5 bolt rear cover. These t-cases do not have a good service record due to the heavy, wide chain, which after many miles will stretch and begin to jump teeth on the sprokets. Beging in 1996 Toyota released the 2nd generation chain driven t-case which has a lighter chain and has done very good. These t-cases are LHD and have eight 8x125 mm bolts with a 5 bolt rear cover.
Toyota makes two 9 bolt transmission to bellhousing bolt patterns. Small pattern; G52/54 (84-88 22R Carb), G58 (89-95 22R EFI), W56 (85-95 22R EFI), and big pattern; (86-87 22R EFI Turbo), (88-95 3.0 EFI V6). To bolt the R150F trans to your 5M-GE motor, you need a 86-87 R151F bellhousing. This has a 22R (same has the 5M-GE block), and the larger R bolt pattern. I sell a used bellhousing for $150.00. Both transmissions use the same input shaft length, pilot, and release bearing and will bolt right up. You can bolt the stronger gear driven t-case behind the R trans but you will need my V6 adapter plate (349.00), and a 23 spline turbo input gear (165.00)
Hope this helped  :biggthumpup:  Marlin

1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Mudmax [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2003, 10:09:14 PM »
 :bowdown:

Thankyou for your information! This 4 speed gearbag i have must then be a L45, I thought the Lseries gearbox bellhousing was integral? this one bolts off, I could be wrong. ???... It was behind a 4Y 2000cc petrol in a double cab hilux. It deffinatly has a PTO transfer box...
This R150F trans was deffinatly factory fitted behind a 2.4 diesel turbo. In this 1990 LN130 surf/4runner... Or so the chassis tag says?? Might be an oddball. :screwy:..

This trans has a electric opperated chain drive transfer box but as it only has 50k on it i hope to get a little life before i stretch it!!

Right so i need the 22R to R151F bellhousing, I have never ever seen a factory turbo toyota hilux or 4 runner ever down this end of the world, but i will start looking for sure! :down:

Other thing would be freight this pto transfer box to you in exchange for a bellhousing

:slap: One thing after another....

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2003, 11:55:39 PM »
All L seriers 4x4 trans are 21" long, made of cast iron, and has a intergal bellhousing. All G and W's are 25.5" long. I think an R is 25.25" long. G boxes have a unboltable bellhousing and use 8 bolts in the center. W56 use 9 bolts, and R's use 10 bolts. I think you must have a 4 speed G54. It will have the trans handle and t-case handle on the rear housing of the gear box. Have you seen any other gear driven pto t-cases?
Our R150f t-cases have a casting for the electric shift solonid, but we never got them in the USA.
Does your electric t-case have a handle with a push button for the electric low range or is it on the dash?
I would gladly trade for your pto box but the shipping would really hurt :hammer:
When I go to the shop in the morning, I will post the turbo bellhousing number. This bellhousing is only found on the 85-87 R151 2WD 22RTurbo, and the 86-87 4WD R151F 22RTurbo trucks. Maybe you could special order thur Toyota. :greengrin: The turbo 22R was only sold in North America and no were else. I also have a few R to the 2L diesel bellhousing in stock. I got them from a engine importer.
 :wave: Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Mudmax [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2003, 12:18:47 AM »
Just ran outside to check the bolting of the bellhousing on my 4 speed, it has 9 bolts and its shorter than the R150F box by a good few inches, its dark and bit hard to crawl under to get an exact measurement... So this might be some oddball :screwy: gearbox,
I have only heard of a few of these pto transfer boxes, this is the first one i have ever seen,  :eyebrow:

My 4wd low 4 high 2 lever has a switch to get high 4wd built into the knob, its a pretty cool looking knob. With power off i can select low 2 and high 2 with the lever, The transfer box is switched to 4wd electricly only, so will be fitting a switch to deactivate the 4x4 controller 2wd low is another option for if i go twin lockers

I wonder what freight would cost?? What would the pto transfer be worth??

If you could post that number i will call toyota and get  the availability and price for the bellhousing, you never know....

Thanks for your expert knowledge and information

:bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2003, 12:38:25 PM »
The turbo bellhousing (part #31111-36190) weighs 9.1 lbs. and has a list price of $527.51.  :smack: The front housing of your PTO transfer case weighs 5.3 lbs. I would consider trading you for just the front housing with the PTO block off plate. I sell the used bellhousing for $150.00.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2003, 07:36:41 PM by Marlin »

supratruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2003, 04:33:39 PM »
I think something got missed. Mudmax are you still going to put a 5M-GE motor in your runner. If so your only bolt on options for trannies are the G or W series. The 5M bellhousing you have will bolt on directly. To use an R series tranny, you can get a 7M-GTE Supra Turbo  R154 bellhousing. Which will bolt to your tranny and to a 5M motor but the input shaft is too short and you must use the Supra Turbo clutch assembly. The  R151F bellhousing wil not bolt to an 5M or 7M block . The starter is on the opposite side. Here are a couple of threads I started before.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=1062

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=768
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2003, 04:51:32 PM by supratruck »

Mudmax [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2003, 06:11:25 PM »
Ok :dunno: I might have read it all wrong, but thought the 22RTE bellhousing will bolt to the 5M-GE and if the truck is a turbo one and has the R151F trans then the same bellhousing will also bolt to the R150F gearbox?? Have i read it all wrong???

:slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

:driving: I gota get this truck going one day!!

Oh 5M-GE is in and bolted to mounts, just have to get trans and bellhousing sorted out. :beer:

supratruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2003, 06:43:42 PM »
I have a turbocharged 5M-GE in my '85 Xtra-Cab and went though this.  If your keeping the 5M n/a, the W series tranny is plenty strong and is already a gear drive transfer-case therefore easier to put a crawler on (one less adapter plate). The only modification I made was to put 1 inch spacers under the tranny mount, raising the back of the tranny. I did this to level the engine since it sits higher than the 22R-E I pulled out.

Heres a link to a 7M 4Runner. He did a custom bell housing to run a R151F.

http://www.yotapower.com/4runner/7mswap.htm
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2003, 06:55:04 PM by supratruck »

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2003, 07:13:27 PM »
Supratruck;   thanks for watching by backside. You are completly correct :bowdown: :bowdown: I forgot about the starter and having to use the orginal bellhousing that has the smaller 9 bolt transmission pattern. The turbo bellhousing will not work usless it is cut and welded togeather. :hammer: Thanks again-Marlin

supratruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2003, 07:21:51 PM »
Hey Marlin, while your on. Have you ever tried to put a R154 input shaft into any of the truck R-Series trannies. i.e. R151f, early R150 vs late R150.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2003, 08:52:31 PM »
Hey Marlin, while your on. Have you ever tried to put a R154 input shaft into any of the truck R-Series trannies. i.e. R151f, early R150 vs late R150.

I have found that in 96 Aisin-Seiki (the manufacture) changed the helix angle on the input constant run and the mating countershaft gear of 4x4 trucks. Therefore the later, longer input gear will not mesh with the shorter pre 96 input gears. The input and release bearing were also lengthen 3/4" to give added room for increased air cooling and new vents that were added on the bellhousing. The longer input was first used in the high performance Supra to help cool the clutch, and the trucks got it when the 3.4 V6 was released in 96'. What I am trying to say is that the early R154 gear set would fit in the early 4x4 trans housing, but the complete gear set would have to be changed. This would defeat the reason to change the gears. What are you going to do with a 3.25:1 first gear? The input gear constant run teeth have a larger o.d. Supra (3.25 first gear) than the smaller o.d.4x4 (3.83 or 4.31 first gear). I just thought about this; :headscratch: How about bolting the Supra R154 bellhousing to a 96'and newer 3.4 V6 tacoma trans (3.83 first) with the extended input and use my 34-4GT adapter back to the 4 cly, gear driven case. (http://www.marlincrawler.com/specialadapters.html)

Mudmax [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2003, 09:02:38 PM »
 :bowdown:

Right so its never as easy as one thinks.....

If the W56 will stay together for a while than i might as well just get one of them.... I can use my push buttton on the gearshifter to lock and unlock front diff.

And i thought it would be easy to make it bullet proof :flamer:

So who wants a R150F and a pto transfer box with an oddball :screwy: 4speed that was only ever released into New Zealalnd ????

hahahahaha

Now where do i get one of those awesome twin reduction crawler adaptors this side of the world????

Thanks again..... :beer:

:driving: sooner than i thought.....