Author Topic: Marfields and Axles or a Birfield Eliminator Kit.  (Read 3665 times)

dj94546

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Marfields and Axles or a Birfield Eliminator Kit.
« on: Jun 07, 2006, 01:37:07 PM »
After ripping into the front axle I've found my spindles, and axles are shot, as well as the the birfields being borderline ok. If I go with marfields and shafts from Marlin and new spindles from Toyota I'm looking at about $810.

If I go with a birfiled eliminator kit it will only cost $639 and I get the spindles included. I'm only running 31" tires and just looking for a little better than a stock replacement. Longfields will have to wait.

Is the birfield eliminator worth the saved money? Does anyone think it'll me more of a headache than just keeping the birfields and staying stock. Thanks for you responses.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
form what i have heard the birf elimintaor kit does eliminate the birfs, but just gives you a youe to snap the ears off of..... with birfs, you know someone on a trail run with you has a spare.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
In my opinion and from experience, the Birfeld Eliminator Kit is weaker than factory Toyota Birfelds. D44 axles, although originally sold on a vehicle with the same tire size as the Hilux truck, is weaker than a Birfeld. Not only do I think they are weaker, but they are not a constant velocity joint (non-linear torque transfer depending on angel of rotation) and cause an increase in axle vibration which shortens seal life.

You would be much much much better picking up a set of used spindles for $20 instead of trying to buy new ones from the dealer. The Bronze bushings can be replaced, but even high mileage units are ok since 4WD is so seldomly used above 30 MPH anyways.

Out of curiosity, how much are those new spindles from the dealer?
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
break a birf elim and  see how much it rocks.. gotta change out the spindle just to stick a birf back in..
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
I guess I would rather worry about how hard it will be to replace the birfield instead of actually replacing D44s all day long :rofl:

No not really, Im sure that 9 out of 10 times both setups would break doing the same thing
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

dj94546 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply guys! Sounds like it comes down to which is easier to service when it breaks and personal preference. Birfield are a PITA to replace as evidenced on my bench. The dealer wants $200 each for the spindles. I'll see if I can get one used.

Does anyone have any experience on breaking the u-joints. Did it do much damage to the axle housing? I got one side chewed up from a broken birfield and it's not pretty. Curious to know how bad a grenaded u-joint would tear things up in there.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
it can chew it up just as bad.. with how the ujoint and axles break you would have larger parts floating around if you broke a birf and the bell stayed intact. 

with the eleminator kit you arent gonna be able to keep inner seals in that sucker.. granted its hard to do with birfs but its much harder with the 44 shafts  with how during a turn  the axles actually move up/down and side to side.   just stick to birfs its  a much better idea. and birfs are NOT hard to replace.  it can be done on the trail in 20 mins.

Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
given my limited knowledge with birfs, they arent hard to replace at all...... i helped a friend install his

im saying stay birf.... the ujoint wont be the issue im making breaking ujoints are easy to replace, its when you snap an ear off of the axle, holding hte u joint, the problem is, they sell those in kits, and they arent a standrd item, so locating an extra 1 side you need will be almost near impossible
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

dj94546 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Thanks all for your input. I'm gonna go with the marfields and stay stock birf'd then. One question though. How do you take the birfields apart. We've removed the otter clip and have been beating on it with a brass punch like it the FSM manual to no avail. If I could get them apart I'd like them alot more. :slap:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply guys! Sounds like it comes down to which is easier to service when it breaks and personal preference. Birfield are a PITA to replace as evidenced on my bench. The dealer wants $200 each for the spindles. I'll see if I can get one used.

Does anyone have any experience on breaking the u-joints. Did it do much damage to the axle housing? I got one side chewed up from a broken birfield and it's not pretty. Curious to know how bad a grenaded u-joint would tear things up in there.

Here Brian has used spindles http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=66&osCsid=40680f0219421ff4890a1cd715ccb9e6

One thing about the Birf eliminator that is kit is definitely going to be a problem is when (not if) you break them on a trail 100 miles from nowhere is...where are you going to get a spare? I would think long and hard about NOT getting the eliminator kit.
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

dj94546 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Whats the trick on separting the brifield from the inner shaft? My friend Johnny is gonna need another six pack to keep beating on this thing :tantrum:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Whats the trick on separting the brifield from the inner shaft? My friend Johnny is gonna need another six pack to keep beating on this thing :tantrum:

Try this
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/birfield_separator_tool/
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
hold the shaft and smack the bell with a hammer.. what ive always done..  or  open yer vise up a bit so the axle will go through and you arent hitting the cage and just slam the birf down by holding the axle shaft.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

dj94546 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Thanks for the birfield tool link and the vise trick. :bowdown: We will try the vise trick now. I'll go to the hardware store and buy some pipe and parts as soon as I can if we are still frustrated. :tantrum:

Also thanks to all for the replies and talking me out of the birfield eliminator kit.  I just bought 2 marfields and 2 spindles from Marlin and inner shafts from Alllpro (Marlin was backordered for 2 weeks  :rivers:). So I'm all set on parts to go :driving: it again. Thanks again.

dj94546 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Just got back from the hardware store. The tool rocks! Two wacks and were done. :beer: