Author Topic: carpet removal  (Read 2222 times)

4Runninfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
carpet removal
« on: May 26, 2006, 03:04:26 PM »
does anyone know what base the glue is (petrolium or whatnot), that holds down the carpet on the 1st gen 4runners? further anyone have any good suggestions on what will take that stuff out?
1985 Toyota 4runner, 22-RE bored .050 over, Street RV head, 268 torkr cam, 2" Sus. lift, 2" body lift, 255x85 Trxus MT's, pair of 170 Lightforce, Full-length Yakima Basket. Custom Interior.

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: carpet removal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 05:02:06 PM »
Chisel or big flat-head and hammer...get to chipping.  I don't know of any solution that will dissolve it, but if anyone does, I am gonna do my runner soon so speak up!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:07:36 PM »
just peel, chisel and wire wheel.  Oh, and try to have a couple free days...

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:30:41 PM »
is this the tar like substance he's talking about?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 07:32:07 PM »
i don't think so, the tar is easy.  I guess he means the stuff that glues the carpet pad to the floorpan.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 07:44:37 PM »
soak it in the industrial floor adhesive remover for linoleum, be careful though, that crap will eat skin ;)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

4Runninfun [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 08:17:23 PM »
well so far a putty knife and a mallet have been the tools of choice as well as some good ol' wire wheel. although i did have limited sucess with a heat gun to loosen it up a bit. still have a little bit left but it's mostly done. this is one project to file under PITA!
1985 Toyota 4runner, 22-RE bored .050 over, Street RV head, 268 torkr cam, 2" Sus. lift, 2" body lift, 255x85 Trxus MT's, pair of 170 Lightforce, Full-length Yakima Basket. Custom Interior.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 08:40:02 PM »
i don't think so, the tar is easy.  I guess he means the stuff that glues the carpet pad to the floorpan.

Alright! Clue me in on the tar stuff. One guy I spoke with, on another board said he did his during winter...well that won't work in Tucson, so he said try CO2.  Maybe I don't have the patience, but I tried (for a little bit) chipping at it and a wire wheel. What is an easy way?

BTW...maybe it's the heat down here, but my carpet came up with no residue!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 09:22:21 PM »
i'm in the process of doing this now for durabak prep. i've been using a shark? chisel/prybar tool thing and a hammer. most of it came up w/o too much problem. then go back with a wire wheel like someone else stated. werks good. there is no easy way to get this stuff off.    :twocents:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco