Author Topic: Sas problems  (Read 2246 times)

ohioyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
Sas problems
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:15:18 PM »
I am in the middle of doing a straight axle swap on my 86 toyota truck and i am running into some problems and am starting to get frustrated. First off when trying to remove my hubs to replace them, and put landcruiser rotors on i can not get the damn cone washers out for the world! i have used a tapered punch i have Pb blasted the :pokinit: out of them and they still will not come out and its driving me insane!!! Second off i went to put my cross over steering on and and have broke two knuckle studs allready and by the time im done will prolly have broken the rest of them. Any suggestions tips,hints would greatly be appreciated.. thanks

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Sas problems
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 07:22:56 PM »
I use a rubber mallat on the cone washers, tap, tap, tap and keep rotating.... or should I say whack, whack, whack. They will slowly work their way out as you hammer in an outward action.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 07:42:10 PM »
when i install my cones i put the split to the outside so the next time its easier to get them out,  hit the hub next to the cone washer and they will pop out,  usually  when the go  the really fly so be careful

i have never had a problem with the knuckle studs :dunno:

btw  :welcome:  to Marlin
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 07:46:33 PM »
Just get a good hammer (preferably brass, but knowing not everyone has those) and hit the stud. Make sure you do it dead on so you don't bend 'em. They'll pop out and you can grab em with your fingers or use pliers if they don't come out all the way. One good whack usually works.
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 07:49:14 PM »
:slap:   dont abuse the studs :shake:  hit the hub just to the outside of the cone it will pop that sucker right out
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 04:10:02 PM »
Get some cheap brass drifts at Sears.  I never thought mine would pop out either, but they do.  Keep at it and don't resort to screw drivers and chisels.   :greengrin:

Here's a good reference:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AxleRebuild.shtml
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 07:49:16 PM by Saber »
***  SAS'ed '94 ext. cab - V6 auto - 4.88's - TrueTrac front & rear  ***

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 09:42:07 PM »
another night and got no where . i broke the rest of the studs on the nuckle so if any one has one or sale or knows where to get one id appreciate it. and i tried your suggestion rocksurfer but the cone washers still wont budge.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 09:53:43 PM »
How are you braking the nuckle studs?  Taking the arms off or putting them on?  I don't see how that is possible.

Othr_Brother

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • 4x4 Him
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 10:12:51 PM »
I know they say not to use screwdrivers and chisels but when I did my SAS I ground down a flat screwdriver so it would fit into the slit on the cone washer...I then tapped it into the slit until the cone washer (forcing the cone washer to open up) until it let loose.

good luck
'87 4Runner SAS, 5.29s, welded, 35" MT/Rs, Chevy rears, rears up front
www.4x4Him.org

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 09:41:47 PM »
i finaly got the hub off tonight it came down to me having to weld nuts on the studs and remove them and the cone washers as a whole. as for the knuckle studs i am going to try the same thing tommorow on them. Thanks for all your tips and suggestions i really appreciate it.

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 09:43:55 PM »
i broke the knuckle studs taking the factory arms off to put the new crossover arms on.

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 01:37:30 AM »
i broke the knuckle studs taking the factory arms off to put the new crossover arms on.
Like when you were cracking the old ones loose they snapped?  :headscratch:
'82 on 35's, not much else.

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 08:36:16 AM »
yeah pretty much

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 08:52:07 AM »
you were turning them to the left  to take them off right ??  i have taken numerous axles apart and never broke a stud  :screwy:

tt21

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -29
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 08:01:41 PM »
For the cone washers i used a small punch and hammered it in the slit of the cone washer and then wiggled it back and forth till it broke loose.  I did break the tips of two punchs off but i got all my cone washers out that way.

As for the knuckle studs, take them all out and replace them with the studs from marlin.  Marlins studs have a Unique head that you need to buy the socket for also. 

And then anti sieze every thing when you reassemble makes the next time a whole lot easier

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 08:07:27 PM »

And then anti sieze every thing when you reassemble makes the next time a whole lot easier

x2 on the anti-seize. slather 'em up good and you won't have any probs next time
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 01:33:24 AM »
X3 on anti-sieze on the outside of the conical nuts.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 04:08:46 PM »
if you need to get the hubs off again, use a soft hammer and pound on the hub body alternateing side to side and top to bottom to get the cone washers out... works for me every time.
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »
well i did the other side last night and managed to get two of the cone washers out by tapping on the studs. but the rest i had to once again weld on nuts and remove the whole stud. the good news is that i managed to get the knucke nuts loose with out breaking any of the studs on this side, and yes i was turning them to the left... i have already ordered new studs for both sides from marlin.