Author Topic: Doc Holiday's yota buildup  (Read 27120 times)

Doc Holiday

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Doc Holiday's yota buildup
« on: Apr 20, 2006, 03:21:32 AM »
i have a 1980 toyota 4x4 shortbox, i wana get some good springs that will flex good for relly cheap, so i wana get some chevy 63 inch springs or some Ford Springs, ive read alot about using 63 inch chevys but not to much on fords, so first i have a couple of questions.

What year should i get the ford springs from, and how long are they.

Also which springs will give you more flex.

And  What springs give more lift.

What would be the best , Chevy or Ford .

Thanks for any help!!

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Hi, i have a 1980 toyota 4x4 shortbox, it looks like its lifted but it could just be because of the large custom shackle it has, i wana do a chevy 63 inch or ford leaf swap in the rear and run my old rears up from, my question is, how long are the stock rear leafs of my toyota, also if they are not stock  what year should i get the toyota leafs to run up front. Thanks!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i think the stock  rears have 4 leaves,   unless you are going to run highsteer  you can take a couple leaves from the rear pack and ad them to your front packs

or do like i did,  get some 2wd f150  springs take them apart,  ad  a couple leafs to the front and a couple to the rear

3-4 inches of lift for $30
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Springs or Chevy 63 inch Springs!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2006, 07:34:48 PM »
wow, dats cheap, $40 for 4 inches of lift

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2006, 09:11:59 PM »
:yesnod:  and that included new tiebolts
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
what gives more lift out of chevy 63 inch springs, a double shackle set up or a regular shackle. i kind of like the double shackle setup cause itès easeir. does it also give more flex. :crossed:

primodevil

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
in my experiance yes,  it is a little more complicated, and in some cases the upper shackel  will tend to either rest, or hit the frame... an easy solution  could be as easy as some urithane counter sunck and bolte to the frame... good luck

rouchx4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
I run 63" chevies on my toy longbed and I love them.  I have the stock chevy shackle resting against the frame and I made fairly long shackles that run to the spring.  I get all kinds of travel. 

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
hi, i am looking for a cheap toyota minitruck, ( 1980 toyota 4x4 pickup ) and i would like at least 5 inches of lift from it, i heard about the chevys but it seems like a alot of work to pay for, or is it.

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Rears up front, junkyard for the rear suspension, s10 ranger 63" chevies...
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
go find a F150  88-93  i think  and get some 2 1/2 inch wide multi leaf springs , then add a couple leaves to the front  and a couple to the rear

thats what i did and ive got about 4 inches,  and MUCHO flex

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
do the rears mount in stock postionion or do i have to make new hangers....ive tried researching that but i cant find anything that says so.
even in the faqs

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Is this a somewhat decent body lift, i want cheap and easy, i heard dont go any more then 3 inches. what do you guys thinks.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
sure, looks good to me.  :outtahere:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 02:58:59 PM by DirToyBoy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml read the info on here about body lifts

I don't know if there is a big price difference, but 4crawler makes a very good kit...it might be worth waiting an extra week or two to get a really good product.
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
true enough, but i do want a 3 inch kit,

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
gaining a few inches from current lift
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 04:02:19 PM »
ok i decided what i want to do, i think im gona keep my current suspension, but this is what i want to do, i wana keep my current lift but maby ad 2 inches of of extra lift, my front shackle looks stock so is there a aftermarket shackle that i can buy that will lift my front end 2 inches, and i will probably just go with 2 inch lift block for the rear, how does that sound!!!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
Re: gaining a few inches from current lift
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 04:06:27 PM »
 :thumbdown: lift blocks. you're not giving us much info here. what kind of suspension do you currently have?
RIP KYOTA

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 04:12:51 PM »
it looks to be stock with a custom 12 inch shackle, its got about 3 inches of lift, im running 33 inch tires with good room, 2 inch lift blocks in the rear was what i was thinking.....

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »
it looks to be stock with a custom 12 inch shackle,
that's some big friggin' shackles! :yikes:
RIP KYOTA

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 04:15:49 PM »
also, its not gona be a dialy driver, yes ,, they are HUGE shackles, it looks funny to, here is a picture of my truck

http://img467.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10026734jc.jpg

Look at the shackles in the rear LOL

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10026581ka.jpg

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 04:16:33 PM »
it looks to be stock with a custom 12 inch shackle, its got about 3 inches of lift
so is it stock or a 3inch lift. im cornfused ???
RIP KYOTA

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 04:19:55 PM »
dont know, pretty sure itès stock, the rear leafs have 7 leafs on them and the front have 3 leafs, look at the shackle, maby thats why its got so much lift for stock, also it is on a custom frame .

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10026581ka.jpg

zeke jr.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 154
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
the only problem from my experience is w/ the double shacle under hard brakin especially down hill the shackles might extend open. i dunno if this is common but it makes for a scary ride at times.
always remember a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

"I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
In terms of lift, the length of the shackles and geometry of the mounts will determine what suspension height you end up with, not the style of shackle.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
the double shackle will give more downtravel depending on what shock you run.  I have never had mine unload on me on the road or going down a steep hill.

tt21

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -29
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
make a shackle hanger that is dropped from the fram 2'' or so, kinda like the dropped front spring hanger, but for the shackles in the rear.  buddy of mine did the drop shackle hanger and i think 9'' shakles and got 9'' of lift out of that set up.  just an idea

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Rancho 44044 Front Lift Springs
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 02:04:59 AM »
Hello, i am doing a buildup on my 80 toyota 4x4 shortbox pickup, and i am planing on doing chevy 63s in the rear but i have not found a pair of springs for the front yet, i want something that will give me some lift and somewhat decent flex, i heard people using Rancho 44044 Front springs, i also hear they give you about 5.5 inches of lift which i like, also do these 44044 springs mount into stock posistion or do i have to make new shackle hangers.
Does anyone know  where to buy these springs.

85 4runr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 02:29:08 PM »
79COYOTE  does your rear springs flex good with a few leaves added Im in the process of trying to get 3 inches and was wondering wether to go with ford or chevys or just make a pack that will fit in my stock location