Author Topic: MTR's vs. Boggers  (Read 7936 times)

yotacrawler4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -167
  • Male Posts: 137
  • Member since Mar '05
  • "Just hold it to the floor"
    • View Profile
MTR's vs. Boggers
« on: Mar 11, 2006, 10:58:55 AM »
Well just like the topic ask's.
My buddies and i always get into this argument, there always praising boggers and no doubt there a badass tire, but i have had the same success with the mtr, the only thing boggers obviously are better is in just a plain mud HOLE and thats it, but other than that mtr's take this debate, so 37 mtr's or 38 boggers, remember i live in washington so there trails of all types there keep that in mind. thanks for the info.:turtle: :usa:
86' yota, extra cab, duals, HP frnt with detroit 4.88s, V6 rear with detroit 4.88s, bobby super set, driveline tech dl's, neat lil upgrades on the way can someone say 4link and dovetail front...

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: MTR's vs. Boggers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »
Get some boggers and cut them like so :yesnod: these are my 35x14.5/15 boggers, cant go wrong.  Plus they look savage  :rockingout:
PS:  I live in washighton too  :greengrin: 

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2006, 05:35:11 PM »
you cant compare the tires... they are in 2 total different catagorys...  boggers were built for mud racing and ment to be cut (thats why they SUCK till they are cut)   MT/Rs are ment to be a road tire unless you get the soft compound ones they suck on alot aswell..  so.. eh..
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:55:42 PM »
IC is right you cant compare Boggers are a good tire they do respond better in rocks when cut...as for the MTR's they suck in mud and wet dirt they dont clean worth a poop they do well in rocks but like you said you live in WA so I hear theres a good amount of mud over there....my cents go for the Boggers
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2006, 03:41:48 PM »
I am in WA as well I am on the east side I have run both the bogger and mtr as well as other tires.  I wheel now witht the SX's on my cruiser and they are like the medium between but if I had to pick one the MTR or BOGGER I would definately pick BOGGER but I would also cut them similar to whitemans. Just my 2 cents
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

crapyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -125
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.nw-wheelers.com
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2006, 06:43:37 PM »
i live in arlington,washington. and i run boggers i wheel at walker mainly then reiter and evans and i have ran with guys with mtrs(heck ive ran with guys with all types of tires) and they cant hang with me!!! these same people laughed when i said i was getting boggers now they talk about getting them for themselves. one wet muddy day at reiter we ran the trail of doom and i was the only one that didnt struggle in the mud and gnarly tree roots!!
88-4runner 35 boggers,5.29s,locked in rear. finally got a sas!!!! pics at photobucket(crapyota)
checkout www.nw-wheelers.com

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2006, 10:55:13 PM »
..........mmmm...Boggers :rockingout:

crapyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.nw-wheelers.com
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2006, 11:48:47 PM »
i like your cut job whiteman. mine our a little beyond but the next set will get the knife my buddy just did his and he likes it.
88-4runner 35 boggers,5.29s,locked in rear. finally got a sas!!!! pics at photobucket(crapyota)

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:51:27 AM »
Super Swamper still makes the best tires out there, no matter what you high dollar guys say. They offer tires for most terrains, and most work very well, except the Thornturds...
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

crapyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.nw-wheelers.com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:17:36 AM »
i will double check tomorow but i think it says super swamper on the side of my boggers. :dunno:

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:25:07 AM »
Super Swamper makes Boggers..

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:16:12 AM »
mmm, the winner is interco.

I'd only recommend mtr's if its street driven and no access to a cutting tool.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2006, 09:57:29 AM »
Super Swamper makes Boggers..

INTERCO  makes the tires..  super swamper is the tire name
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2006, 11:12:16 AM »
INTERCO  makes the tires..  super swamper is the tire name
     :yesnod:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2006, 11:16:52 AM by mudmaster »
Time to go wheelin!

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2006, 10:59:57 PM »
 :smack: My bad, I knew that...

I'm a total spaz sometimes.

yotacrawler4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2006, 08:07:41 AM »
well guys thanks for all the insight but i just bought 36x13.5x15 iroks baby hell yeah. Hey crapyota im in the navy up in whidbey , but im from battle ground and i know where arlington is. when i get off this deploymeny on the uss ronald reagan, im going to be wheelin alot in elbe hills and reiter and all that stuff we ought to get together sometime.. :turtle:
86' yota, extra cab, duals, HP frnt with detroit 4.88s, V6 rear with detroit 4.88s, bobby super set, driveline tech dl's, neat lil upgrades on the way can someone say 4link and dovetail front...

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2006, 08:11:04 AM »
My buddy wheels at Reiter on 37" MTR's and he had TSL's before, and he said he liked the MTR's a lot better. He used to wheel X-terrains before that and he said they were the worst.

I did notice as he was going down the trail, they liked to collect mud a lot. But as soon as we got into an open area they would clean pretty quickly. He also does his best to stay out of mud, so I guess they work.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2006, 08:12:50 AM »
I'm Wa and have 36" TSL's. Love em
Time to go wheelin!

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »
A LOT of tire choice is your wheeling style. MudMaster looks/sounds like he likes mud. Some people don't like mud so much because it costs a lot of money to fix all the things it breaks and the extra time it takes to clean out the mud. But others can't resist that sinking feeling.

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »
If you live in washington, and live on the west side of the mountains you cant not like mud, there is so much rain here you practically need boggers on your daily driver.

Besides, theres nothing like seeing a Yota, churning it's way up a muddy hill, bouncing off the rev limiter, throwing mud sky high, destroy the earth... Now thats sick :rockingout:
Boggers for life yo!  :cool:

crapyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.nw-wheelers.com
« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2006, 11:12:30 PM »
well guys thanks for all the insight but i just bought 36x13.5x15 iroks baby hell yeah. Hey crapyota im in the navy up in whidbey , but im from battle ground and i know where arlington is. when i get off this deploymeny on the uss ronald reagan, im going to be wheelin alot in elbe hills and reiter and all that stuff we ought to get together sometime.. :turtle:
send me a pm when yuor close to being home we can hook up and hit the trails!!!! my brother in law is stationed at whidbey. just got transferd there from oaklahoma

yotacrawler4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2006, 05:23:59 AM »
hey whats his name, if you dont want to say online just pm me i might now him? but i will pm you certainly when i get home more trucks wheeling the better it is, hell yeah

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 01, 2006, 07:17:37 AM »
am i the only one that thinks that this is a apples to oranges debate???? they dont even fall in the same "type" of tire class.....i guess it depends on wheather you drive on the road...although i had a set of cut boggers that where perty quiet..... :burnout:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 01, 2006, 09:30:29 AM »
2nd post dan :)
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2006, 09:30:59 AM »
you cant compare the tires... they are in 2 total different catagorys...  boggers were built for mud racing and ment to be cut (thats why they SUCK till they are cut)   MT/Rs are ment to be a road tire unless you get the soft compound ones they suck on alot aswell..  so.. eh..
maybe suck on rocks till they are cut, being in FL we have seen PLENTY of mud over the years, and Boggers do great in the mud as is, not that cut isn't better but they are great out of the box too.
And such a cool looking tire.
But you're right, Dan (and IC), it is an apples to oranges debate. It depends on what you are going to be doing with your truck.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2006, 09:34:10 AM »
I have both and I love em.  Just put it this way.  Boggers for mud, MTR's for rocks :thumbs: They're bot a great tire, it just depends on how hard you wanna work your rig, what you're wheelin in/on, and what look you like :yesnod:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 01, 2006, 10:10:52 AM »
maybe suck on rocks till they are cut, being in FL we have seen PLENTY of mud over the years, and Boggers do great in the mud as is, not that cut isn't better but they are great out of the box too.
And such a cool looking tire.
But you're right, Dan (and IC), it is an apples to oranges debate. It depends on what you are going to be doing with your truck.

i think it all depends on the mud really.. out here  our mud season only lasts from about october till june or so.. and its all red clay.. its the stickiest stuff ive ever come across. it does not clean out  unless you are extremely rompin on it.. pretty much short of a v tread tractor tire or a extremely hacked bogger will clean out easy.. thats just here though.

and after owning mt/rs  i'll never own another set. i didnt like them.. for me the only thing they were good at was being quiet on the highway  and were decent in the snow.. and mud.. what a joke.. lol.. heres a pic after just driving  on whats normaly hardpack after a good rain..

Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #27 on: Apr 01, 2006, 11:51:46 AM »
You gonna take that to the Dayton 500 with them racing slicks or what.

There is no perfect tire on the market, but there are many kinds that perform well in various terrains, and suit the drivers style of wheeling.  Personally I like boggers because they make a rig look mean, and they hook up and go.
Boggers work great for my driving style, if I lived in a dry desert, and did nothing but rockcrawling in 100*+ wheather i might consider another type of tire.  But here in washington, the terrain accommodates swamper's much better than a mud terrain, don't get me wrong, a person could get by with a mud terrain, but swamper's are just cool, and taking a hot knife to them makes them perform even better.

It may be a apple to oranges debate, but it will never end, and no matter how long it is forgotten, it will always return.  I personally like the bull crap some times.