Author Topic: (highschool) 86 reg cab project startin 2/10/06  (Read 3617 times)

yotamckimboy4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -177
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
(highschool) 86 reg cab project startin 2/10/06
« on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:50:49 PM »
hey guys this is goin to be my build up thread for my highschool crawler. the truck is and 86 yota reg cab.the build up begins 2/10/06
Here are the plans and soon to be specs of my truck:

4inch Trailmaster lift for the front
4inch trailmaster shocks in the rear along with 4inch blocks
36 super swampers on 15x10 black ultra 4 inch backspace rim
custom flatbed (along the way)
custom stinger
half doors- half finished so far

i will post pics as soon as the project begins.
"We ride together, We die together, YOTABOYS FOR LIFE"    85 toy pickup 5 inch springs 2inch body lift, 36" IROKS, custom front bumper
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

88-REDRYDER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 245
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Its all for the kids
    • View Profile
have fun with the tire rub in the front with thoses 36's I hope you are shavin the fenders or somethin
killem en grillem

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
absolutley trimmin my fenders!!!!
"We ride together, We die together, YOTABOYS FOR LIFE"    85 toy pickup 5 inch springs 2inch body lift, 36" IROKS, custom front bumper
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
started yesterday and got the rear done. put the blocks and shocks on and finshed puttin on the body lift. today im finsihin up the front.i will post pics tonite!!
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
Please, for your own safety, get rid of the blocks and put some lift springs in it.
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

YotaJohnBoy4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 418
  • Male Posts: 123
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
pics
"lil truck rolling on 37s"

YotaJohnBoy4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 418
  • Male Posts: 123
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
"lil truck rolling on 37s"

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
theres pics and thanks to yotajohnboy4x4 for the help and for postin pics.
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

88wildrunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
x2 on the lift blocks, they do nothing for you, you dont get any more lift out of them. if your on a budget then you sould but some 62 inch chevys in the rear.
WANTED: SR5 power window door panels. will pay cash or trade for home brew square tube doors

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
well ya i am on a budget for now and then ill buy a set of 4inch springs for the rear.i just kinda puzzled on why im gettin bashed on for havin the blocks, im on a budget and untill i get the money the blocks are gunna be there so
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
well ya i am on a budget for now and then ill buy a set of 4inch springs for the rear.i just kinda puzzled on why im gettin bashed on for havin the blocks, im on a budget and untill i get the money the blocks are gunna be there so

cuz' they are a safety issue (especially if they are aluminum)   lots of folks have cracked them or had them crumble and fall out (BAD)... Have I run them w/o a problem. yes but that's on a DD in the rear only and they were steel.  get some steel ones or have a local fab shop make some if you cannot.  the "vato zone" lift blocks are a deathwish.       Good Luck with your build.  it is cool to see a budget rig with IFS get beaten by a high schooler.  LOL

oh yeah- ditch the front bumper... your gonna hit it
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
I wasn't trying to bash you, just trying to give some safety advice, a set of F150 springs or chevies isn't all that expensive at the junk yard, and will give the same lift.
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
I wasn't trying to bash you, just trying to give some safety advice, a set of F150 springs or chevies isn't all that expensive at the junk yard, and will give the same lift.

we also have to remember that not everybody is comfy whipping up some spring hangers and shackles/mounts to mount these budget deals. 
I agree that it's better but I have very little issue with a quality set of steel blocks in moderation ( under 3" )

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
im only runnin blocks for a short while then i will have springs. its kinda hard to fab stuff when im always at school or im always workin.... i know yall r tryin to help but i figured at least one person to say "hey for a 16 year old u did a pretty good job nice rig". but from the start i got negative comments but watever its cool...
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
im only runnin blocks for a short while then i will have springs. its kinda hard to fab stuff when im always at school or im always workin.... i know yall r tryin to help but i figured at least one person to say "hey for a 16 year old u did a pretty good job nice rig". but from the start i got negative comments but watever its cool...

hey, I didn't knock ya... I think you are on the right track... nobody likes my rig either haha... not even me most of the time  :gap:
keep at it and remember, as long as you like it and it makes ya happy. keep it up  :king:

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
well its just seemed like than  specially in ur first reply on my build when u said
oh yeah- ditch the front bumper, and when u said it is cool to see a budget rig with IFS get beaten by a high schooler.  LOL, likemy build  was some kinda joke...but thats cool and ya i dont really care much wat people think as long as i like it i dont care..............
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 06:54:34 PM by yotamckimboy4x4 »
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
yeah man dont worry about what people think. have fun with it, and build your :pokinit: the way you want, as long as your build isnt putting any one in danger flopp what people have to say. it looks good, keep at it and have fun wheelin the piss out of it   :beerchug:
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hey thanks 86 4runner. i appreciate the compliments, i wheeled the snow this weekened and it actully did pretty darn good. im gunna lock the rear end and put 529's in it hopefully this weekened.
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
well its just seemed like than  specially in ur first reply on my build when u said
oh yeah- ditch the front bumper, and when u said it is cool to see a budget rig with IFS get beaten by a high schooler.  LOL, likemy build  was some kinda joke...but thats cool and ya i dont really care much wat people think as long as i like it i dont care..............

ok

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:thumbs: truck is lookin good :yupyup: 

Nothing wrong with a High schooler beatin on IFS, I'm still doing it, and I've been out for 3 years :hahaha:

Nobody is knockin on your build, they're just making some suggestions based on their experience. 

Running aluminum blocks can be dangerous, and they are hazardous to other people (I've been hit by one squirting out on the freeway!! :yikes:)  Glad to hear you're only running them for a little while, you may want to look into chevies if you're tight on a budget, :thumbs: I've got them in the 63" flavor, and they kick :moon:  they hel make up for the lack of flex on the IFS :yupyup:

Don't worry about the constructive criticism, no one is out to bash you, but if you get your panties all tied up in a bunch, more and more people will.  This is a community, and if you can't handle some funnin' and a little constructive criticism, you won't last, because we're all about joking around on here, while offering up some kick :moon: tech :yupyup:

If you've got any questions about your IFS, let me know.  I've been running it for years, and I've broken, bent, or worked on pretty much everything

Rig looks good! :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
blackdog thanks for the compliments. i am runnin steal blocks just for the record but i know there are a lot of people on here that know a bunch of stuff and have good suggestions on here. i will admit i was alittle defensive but ill get over it. i do have a few IFS questions for you. so if u get a chance lets talk alittle bit about my ifs and the wuestions i have
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
blackdog thanks for the compliments. i am runnin steal blocks just for the record but i know there are a lot of people on here that know a bunch of stuff and have good suggestions on here. i will admit i was alittle defensive but ill get over it. i do have a few IFS questions for you. so if u get a chance lets talk alittle bit about my ifs and the wuestions i have
:thumbs: anytime.  You can post up your questions here, or PM me either one :yupyup:  You can even catch me in the shoutbox from time to time :yesnod:    Im usually on in the evenings, but sometimes I'm on throughout the day :dunno:  So, fire away!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
uuumm well as u can see my tires arent straight they are bowwed, every one i have talked to says u cant fix that??? and when i am in 4 lo and im mobbin threw the snow or climbin a pole it makes this nickin noise wat i think is my cv joint goin out, not sure tho?? maybe u can help and i have plenty of questions lets just start with those
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I can't really tell from the photos, but I am assuming you are saying your tires are leaning in from the top? or are they pointing in toward each other, or out away from each other. It doesn't really matter, these are all repairable :thumbs:  Its a simple matter of your alignment :yupyup:  You can take it to a shop, or you can do it yourself.  If you do it yourself, you won't get it near as precise.  Every alignment is a little different, its based  on a lot of things.  If I were you I'd take it to a shop the first time, and see if they can let you watch.  You'll learn a lot and then you'll know first hand how to do it yourself.  I don't have that part of my FSM so I can't tell you exactly what to do, as I have only done an alignment once, and I screwed it up royally :smack:

As for the clicking, is it only when you are in 4lo?  and is it usually noticable under load?  it sounds like you've picked a winner with the cv joint. Are the CV boots all torn up?  is the mud and water and gravel and such in the boots?  you may need new CVs. 

-Ronald Reagan

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ya its on clunkn when when its under a load yeas, and the boots arent torn up soo im not sure but i belive it is a cv joint

"HOLD ON TIGHT"