Author Topic: What breed would be best?  (Read 8781 times)

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: What breed would be best?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2006, 06:30:24 AM »
Border Collie, Smartest dogs I have ever owned. Never had any real training and they will keep kids from getting in the pool unless I say it is OK. Keep the gardener from getting in the back yard until I said it was OK then never bothered him again. There is a path around our property from the 2 of them policing the property. But once we introduce someone to them as OK they want nothing but to get some attention from them. Great dogs but they shed ALOT. we had to get a hair trap for the pool filter to keep them from clogging it up. They love to swim and shed at the same time. Neither is a pure bred. Given to us from a breeder who had a couple fence jumpers.

Wayne

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:02:48 AM »
I can't believe nobody's mentioned a mut yet! Gotta love the result of the neighborhood pregnant dog!
   I mentioned mutts, Nate, just called them mixed breed instead...

Go to the pound, adopting a dog will make you feel great. A mixed breed dog tends to be healthier and live longer and are not prone to in-bred genetic disorders.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:11:25 AM »
Border Collie, Smartest dogs I have ever owned. Never had any real training and they will keep kids from getting in the pool unless I say it is OK. Keep the gardener from getting in the back yard until I said it was OK then never bothered him again. There is a path around our property from the 2 of them policing the property. But once we introduce someone to them as OK they want nothing but to get some attention from them. Great dogs but they shed ALOT. we had to get a hair trap for the pool filter to keep them from clogging it up. They love to swim and shed at the same time. Neither is a pure bred. Given to us from a breeder who had a couple fence jumpers.

Wayne
Yup a border collie is billed as the smartest of the dogs. A friend of mine has one too, says he is a handful, very active, but the best dog he has had. They are doing agility training with it.

But whatever you get, and I know I said this already, getting professional training (that you can get at any Petsmart for very little $$$) is the best thing you can do. It's as much about training the dog as it is training you on how to properly train the dog.

IE: I would neverr have known swatting a dog with the newspaper is going to do nothing but make the dog confused, and hurt, he won't know why you did that.

On the other hand, when a mother dog wants to chastise her young pups she grabs them by the scruff of the neck and gives them a firm shake and stern growl.

And so "the shake" is the proper way to chastise a dog when it is doing something it shouldn't. (like barking for no reason). Worked wonders on our dogs.

But there are lots of little tricks that make training the dog a lot easier. And having a dog that doesn't have to be on a leash and is not going to go anywhere makes going out camping, and trail riding a LOT easier then constantly having to watch the dog, and having to have a hand on a leash.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
Visit the humane society a few times and get to know a few...give a doggie a home who might otherwise not have one...They will have spent lots of time with the dogs so they can usually give you a good idea about their temperment.  Just don't get on e of those rats that MWM is holding...they aren't really dogs, just very large gerbils or something.  :dunno:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »
Visit the humane society a few times and get to know a few...give a doggie a home who might otherwise not have one...They will have spent lots of time with the dogs so they can usually give you a good idea about their temperment. Just don't get on e of those rats that MWM is holding...they aren't really dogs, just very large gerbils or something. :dunno:
:slap: that dog is more dog then any cat will ever be! :bat: You don't want to git on his fightin' side, he will put a hurtin' on yer ankle that you won't soon fergit! :yupyup:

What he lacks in brains he makes up for in his stunning good looks! HA! He's a cutey, fer shur. Of course we didn't get our dogs for protection, just for portability! They love camping with us though. Everyone that see's him does a second glance, he has heard "oh I thought it was a cat" more times then he can count. :rofl:

Small dogs aren't for everyone, nor are big dogs, I love ours to death and I could feed them for a year on what you big dog lovers do in a week, but I love all dogs of all sizes, shapes and forms. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. :thumbs:

Where is the Mammoth?

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:56:05 AM »
Uh-oh...better hide, the angry squirrel dog will have your head!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

AKDuramax

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jan '06
  • hondas R like tampons... every pu$$y has one
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »
i love my lab, loyal and great tempered and a good guard dog when the time calls for it
83' toyota sr5 long bed 31x10.5 bfg mt's -under construction-
86' suzzuki samuri 33x14.5 boggers, 1.6 tracker spap, 4.62's locked trackuri axles, 4.1 transfer, exct.
02' chevy 2500HD duramax 35x12.5 mt's fabtec 6", edge box,k&n intake, mbrp 4" duals, exct.  :)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2006, 12:31:04 PM »
I would have to agree that for the big dog breed Labs are probably the best all around. short haired labs will shed less then the furry ones, I think, but they are all great fun dogs, and respected for their temperment as opposed to rott's or pit's that are feared for the temperments (unjustifiably for the most part, but you still hear too many stories about "good" dogs that suddenly attacked the neighbors kid for no reason)

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:29:07 PM »
:crossed: I just went and adopted Emma :woohoo: , a 2 year old Rott.  I've visited her 3 times and she's a real sweetheart :love: I don't get to pick her up until tomorrow evening, so that gives me a bit of time to get ready for her.  I really like her and I figured I can give her a shot and if she doesn't work out within 30 days they'll take her back no charge.  :hammerhead:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:30:53 PM »
Oh yeah.... I don't like her name, so I gotta figure out a new one.... any ideas?? :hammerhead:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:43:19 PM »
:crossed: I just went and adopted Emma :woohoo: , a 2 year old Rott. I've visited her 3 times and she's a real sweetheart :love: I don't get to pick her up until tomorrow evening, so that gives me a bit of time to get ready for her. I really like her and I figured I can give her a shot and if she doesn't work out within 30 days they'll take her back no charge. :hammerhead:
that's pretty traumatic for the dog isn't it? Poor thing thinks she finally has herself a good home, and the next thing you know BOOM she's back in solitary.
I sure hope it works out for her.
Before you start thinking of a new name be sure you want to keep her. Then, as you have her for a little while her name will come to you.

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:50:47 PM »
that's pretty traumatic for the dog isn't it? Poor thing thinks she finally has herself a good home, and the next thing you know BOOM she's back in solitary.

I wouldn't jump to take her back first chance I get... I wouldn't wanna do that to her either :nonono:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:17:21 PM »
I had a cousin that had bought a dog from a breeder, it was a small poodle. My cousin already has a shitzu. She had the poodle puppy for like 3-4 months or more. The two dogs were just starting to get used to each other, and my cousin was having some problems with the training.
I forget if it was house breaking it or what, but the usual stuff that is not that hard to deal with, not real issues with it's temperment or behavioral problems.
But just cause she hit this rough patch with the puppy she called the woman she bought it from and asked if she would take it back!
I was glad she did that and didn't just turn it over to the humane society, but still. The poor thing had gotten used to it's surroundings, my cousins other dog was enjoying the company...
Sorry, just saying that you could reminded me of that.
Can't wait to hear how it goes and see some pics.

Where is the Mammoth?

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:43:38 PM »
Can't go wrong with a heeler!!! :thumbs:  Just my  :twocents:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:50:14 PM »
I think Labs may be the perfect dog. They love the outdoors, they're good around kids, they've got great personalities and they're territorial enough to be protective without having to worry about an unwarranted attack.
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

pyrotec220

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Nov '05
  • rock solid
    • View Profile
    • myspace-- although i use facebook
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:14:07 PM »
i  love my english springer spaniel! she is great will follow u anywher outdoors. she is possibly the  best dog i have ever owned!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:09:44 PM »
I think Labs may be the perfect dog. They love the outdoors, they're good around kids, they've got great personalities and they're territorial enough to be protective without having to worry about an unwarranted attack.
Mark
I completely agree with that statement.
And pyrotec, a springer spaniel is a beautiful and smart dog!
I guess FFC had her mind set on a Rott, sounds like she is very happy with her decision.
:popcorn:

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:13:08 PM »
I completely agree with that statement.
And pyrotec, a springer spaniel is a beautiful and smart dog!
I guess FFC had her mind set on a Rott, sounds like she is very happy with her decision.
:popcorn:

Actually, it was a last minute thing.  Over the course of the weekend this whole thing came up... I figured I'd get some insight on other breeds, even though I was looking at a specific Rott.  I really do appreciate all yer input :love: It has given me some insight for the future, and I shouldn't say it but I will, especially if Emma doesn't work out :lipsrsealed: But I wanna make her work out :gap:  :hammerhead:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:33:52 PM »

Wayne

What is this hair trap you speak of? Our dog loves swimming, and she is a shedder :down:  I'm guessing its a fine screen that goes below the filter?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:57:08 PM »
i  love my english springer spaniel! she is great will follow u anywher outdoors. she is possibly the  best dog i have ever owned!

Good dog! and I love my Britt.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:59:18 PM »
I had a cousin that had bought a dog from a breeder, it was a small poodle. My cousin already has a shitzu. She had the poodle puppy for like 3-4 months or more. The two dogs were just starting to get used to each other, and my cousin was having some problems with the training.
I forget if it was house breaking it or what, but the usual stuff that is not that hard to deal with, not real issues with it's temperment or behavioral problems.
But just cause she hit this rough patch with the puppy she called the woman she bought it from and asked if she would take it back!
I was glad she did that and didn't just turn it over to the humane society, but still. The poor thing had gotten used to it's surroundings, my cousins other dog was enjoying the company...
Sorry, just saying that you could reminded me of that.
Can't wait to hear how it goes and see some pics.
:rivers: :rivers:  oh somebody hold me :rivers that is so sad,  the poor little puppy  :rivers:  i bet Prissy fealt the same way when those bastards left her on top of a gas pump when she was only a little baby  :rivers: 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:00:16 PM »
Dave i love that avitar :rofl2:   i needed that after Diane made me cry
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:03:25 PM »
Any ideas? Breeds? Preferences?
Yup, the kind that doesn't piss or :pokinit:.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:54:33 PM »

What is this hair trap you speak of? Our dog loves swimming, and she is a shedder :down: I'm guessing its a fine screen that goes below the filter?

It is a trap that goes in the sweeper hose. It stops the hair with kind of a comb thing before it gets to the filter. easy to take apart and clean. they sell them for stopping leafs too. ask a pool place they will know.

Hope that helps

Wayne

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:20:08 PM »
Yup, the kind that doesn't piss or :pokinit:.

:rofl2: :beerchug:

trekker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Aug '05
  • crawlin with marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:14:38 AM »
i have a small dog its a welshi corgi its small but pretty dang smart dog good luck :beerchug:
I need a running 22r

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #56 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:13:38 PM »
Akita, very loyal and protective, and if handled correctly can be very friendy when not threatened or protecting you. A decent air scent tracker too. If you will be in cold conditions you will want a dog that does have a good undercoat so it won't be too cold like some of the small breeds some have displayed here. As to the little dogs some have showed you, sure they can inflict a painful bite but have nothing to back it up and could be dealt with by any attacker so you would want at least a medium size dog that not only can bite but hold off an attacker. All I have to say on the little toys is..... ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!! and it is over for them a medium and above dog can take a kick and return to defend or retreat with you still holding off the attack. A good kick to those little dogs and it is over for them and then you would have to be protecting them.

Ask BigMike about an Akita, I'm sure he may say the same about them. In Japan they are even used as babysitters, train one and the little one will be contained within the area allowed and no-one will be allowed within said area that doesn't belong.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:55:53 PM »
of the large breeds  Akitas  and Samoyeds are the best around children

just dont try and take the kid,  it sucks trying to open kethup or pop bottles with one hand :aaa:

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »
This summer I might be adopting a Siberian Husky. There is a place in Eastern Washington that recues almost all of them from the state of WA and has them there, I know a few people that have huskies from the place, they are usually in pretty sad situations before they were adopted by the place, but excellent dogs, real leaders, you teach your husky a few good habits and the other rotten eggs will follow....or they will kill the husky.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #59 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:39:02 PM »
Well guys, here she is... I got her home today, she's got so much personality! She's great! She doens't like her kennel cuz she wants to be in the house.  She thinks she's a lap dog :hahaha:

Me and Kitty :laugh: