Author Topic: What breed would be best?  (Read 8758 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: What breed would be best?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:28:24 PM »
Aww, she's so cute.

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »
yeah BIG lap dog!
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:38:40 PM »
yeah BIG lap dog!

:yesnod: She's learnin where her spot is on the passenger's seat, but she still likes to have her front half on my lap :ack: she'll get the hang of it after a few more brake slamming incidents :lipsrsealed: :hammerhead:     FFC>> :slap: <<ME

:gap:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:43:48 PM »
yep mine knows his place............on my lap anywhere else and he goes nutts and drives me nutts too. but he is 15 pounds
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:21:21 PM »
Mine know not to get on my lap when I'm driving main roads, if I'm just on the back roads I'll let Tiny sit on my lap. Ginger doesn't care to.
But Tiny knows when I say 'OK go on' he has to get off my lap.
She's a beautiful dog FFC, not very big for 2 years old. Did you really name her Kitty? Kitt for short? That would be hysterical!!
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:37:25 PM »
Mine know not to get on my lap when I'm driving main roads, if I'm just on the back roads I'll let Tiny sit on my lap. Ginger doesn't care to.
But Tiny knows when I say 'OK go on' he has to get off my lap.
She's a beautiful dog FFC, not very big for 2 years old. Did you really name her Kitty? Kitt for short? That would be hysterical!!

MrsW, yes I named her Kitty, and I call her Kitty :gap: It's the fun in the name, I can't shorten it :greengrin: She's great, but she's SOOOO STRONG!!!!! OMG she bout knocked me on my :moon: today just tryin to get to the goats! She's bout 90 lbs.. I dunno I gotta get her weighed, but she's gonna get bigger :eyebrow: I think... she's got some workin out to do :wink2:  This, AFTER she learns to heel :yesnod:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
Definitly make sure she is well trained, you don't want a big dog like that out of control. Sounds like she is all muscle. Maybe it's just the picture that makes her look smallish.
Must be cause you're so big. :haha:
JK girl.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #67 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:44:09 PM »
Definitly make sure she is well trained, you don't want a big dog like that out of control. Sounds like she is all muscle. Maybe it's just the picture that makes her look smallish.
Must be cause you're so big. :haha:
JK girl.

:eek: :slap:

:gap: yeah... she's not huge, but she's bigger than our other dogs, and fits right in with our billy goat :rofl:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:52:32 PM »
I love our little portable dogs, but I like a big dog too. Hell I love every dog in every shape and size. I LOVE dogs. They love you unconditionally.
I can't believe people can do the things I read here.
Glen, I didn't know you found prissy on top of a gas pump! She is the best.
And I know there is much worse that goes on. I can't watch those animal planet shows, it's too heart breaking.

Where is the Mammoth?

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Feb 10, 2006, 12:41:37 AM »
funny thing it seems the older I get the smaller the dogs I own or am around. When I was a kid we had ...... well a lot of dogs . just do the math 9 boys so over the years there has been alot of animals around but the monster was kubala khan (i think I spelled that right) but he was a Saint Bernard and was A MONSTER OK he seemed like one. and I have been thru just about every size since . now don't get me wrong I love Harley and Tiny and would not trade them for anything . BUT  ....... I miss my brothers Chocolate Lab "Sinbad" the most and second would be the guard dog we had at the shop for the longest time her name was "Cash" and she was a Rottie and was the without a doubt the most protective dog I ever saw.  I was taking her to the vets once and had to stop for gas on the way as I got out of my truck she went nuts as I turned around all I saw was her face to face with some guy who was walking up behind me. Don't know what he wanted . never got a chance to ask but as he ran away he was shoving something back in his pocket.
 So if you train her right I think you made a very good choice because ever though she was a guard dog Cash was a sweetheart any other time and unstoppable when she was on duty .
 even to the point of chasing one or more people across the top of cars on our lot even after they cracked her skull open (no joke).

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:38:10 AM »
So if you train her right I think you made a very good choice because ever though she was a guard dog Cash was a sweetheart any other time and unstoppable when she was on duty .
 even to the point of chasing one or more people across the top of cars on our lot even after they cracked her skull open (no joke).
no one ever accused them of being SMART dogs :rofl:
:psss: actually, I don't know much about rott's other then if you don't train them and keep them tied up in the back yard without much atttention they get very scarey to your neighbors as they lunge at the fence barking and baring their teeth with slobber flying from their jowls when you walk by.
(and of course I know that from experience, that dog is no longer around)

Where is the Mammoth?

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Feb 10, 2006, 12:08:44 PM »
I'm sure this has already been posted, but Rotts and Pits can be excellent dogs if they are trained and raised properly, but there is always the risk of them hurting people/kids simply because they are big and strong.  If the little yapper dogs were big enough to hurt people, they would be on death row.  It is true that insurance companies have some dogs on the list and it is probably not wise to leave the large dogs alone with small children, the risk simply isn't worth it.

Anybody mention a Newfoundland?  I think they are the world's largest "lap" dogs.  :yesnod:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Feb 10, 2006, 12:14:01 PM »
Seems I'm a bit behind on this thread, I read several posts, but not the last few.

Rotts are cool dogs.  They are protective, friendly and sometimes dumb as rocks.  Just don't keep one that has a poor attitude.

Look for the TV show about the Dog Wisperer, the guy seems to know his stuff.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Feb 10, 2006, 12:17:11 PM »
Anybody mention a Newfoundland? I think they are the world's largest "lap" dogs. :yesnod:
when I was a kid my cousin's neighbor had a couple newfoundlands, nicest dogs but BIG!! They could easily jump a standard chain link fence, and would.

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #74 on: Feb 10, 2006, 01:15:08 PM »
I love our little portable dogs, but I like a big dog too. Hell I love every dog in every shape and size. I LOVE dogs. They love you unconditionally.
I can't believe people can do the things I read here.
Glen, I didn't know you found prissy on top of a gas pump! She is the best.
And I know there is much worse that goes on. I can't watch those animal planet shows, it's too heart breaking.
yea she was on top of a gasoline pump,  she couldnt be any bigger than a coffee mug

i found amy in the woods,  she was running with wolves  and was covered with ticks the size of pinto beans,   but she cam right up to me,  i called mom to come get her and shes
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »
we had a friend who had a St. Bernard when they had real young kids.  Their son used to curl up against the St. Bernard, and cuddle underneath his paw and/or tail.  The dog would just lay there and let the kid sleep.  And if you wentto wake up the kid :yikes:  that dog was real protective :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

4THEWKN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 226
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Mickey Bomb's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:47:08 PM »
Big dogs are nice but a pain to wheel with most of the time. I personally have a  Aussie Red Healer. Truly one  of the best family breeds there is. This dog from a puppy  never ever once pissed or craped in the house.  Never ever chewed up anything. Is 100% protective of it's pack. (your family).  The dog I have is a house dog and there is no worry of home invasion!! Extremely smart so watch your food on counters!!!
Rock Rash: It's all mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter!!

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:04:16 PM »
Nitro  is a American Eskimo  and can you say S M A R T   he lived in the house till mom figured out who was eating the lunch meat
  at the time we had a small store just a 1/2 mile from the house  that had a little deli, they just wrapped the meat in that white paper  and gave it to ya,  we kept it just kinda loose in the bottom drawer and he loved ham :love:
we had figured my brother was getting it in the middle of the night, so mom borrowed a cam corder from a friend,  she worked till midnight so when she came in everyone was either in bed or watching TV,  so she sat the camera on the counter in the dining room and went to bed hoping the 4 hour tape would be enough,      little did we know my furry little buddy was coming down the stairs  , grabbing the hand towel on the frig door  and opening it,  then grabbed the meat drawer and pulled it open  sat there and ate what he wanted then pushed the drawer back shut and shut the door.     needless to say he soon found himself living in the back yard :down:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:05:38 PM »
 :haha:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:12:22 PM »
needless to say he soon found himself living in the back yard :down:
:down: that's sad for nitro!

Big dogs are nice but a pain to wheel with most of the time.

I would have to say probably the best size dog to have as an all around protective but great to wheel with dog is one of those midsize breeds (or better yet, mutts). They are big enough to be threatening but yet basically portable at 20-40 lbs or so. If you are going to have a large dog it has to be trained to a tee, not just sort of trained.

Not that it isn't great if they are all trained to a tee but it's a lot harder to deal with a not so well trained big dog.

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:16:50 PM »
Nitro is about 45 pounds of pure muscle 

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #81 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:58:32 PM »
Funny... Nitro was in the small list of names I had picked out for Kitty... then I couldn't resist Kitty :gap: