Author Topic: chromoly or birfield eliminator kit  (Read 1450 times)

dieselsmoke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
chromoly or birfield eliminator kit
« on: Jan 22, 2006, 05:05:13 AM »
ok so I'm looking at the chromoly axle & birfield setup that would run like 650 for everything plus shipping then I noticed the birfield eliminator kits that cost slightly less, first let me say cost verses quality.... it cost more to do it over than it does to do it right. I my mind quality wins over cost every time

Don't get me wrong I don't have money falling out my hind parts, thats why I would rather do it right the first time

I do have the long gusset front axle and plan to get the top gusset as well

after everything is installed is installed in my truck I'm going to take it all back apart to sandblast and paint that is when I plan on rebuilding both axles, e-lockers front high pinion and standard e-locker in the rear with 4.88 gears

keep in mind these axles will have to live behind an 800 hp v8 ( future modification )

so what are your thoughts on the different axles,

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: chromoly or birfield eliminator kit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:12:44 AM »
If you are really going to run 800hp, start looking for a different axle.  Hubs and differentials are going to be a serious weak link with that power.   For Toy stuff though, I'd recommend chromo birfs.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »
This topic has been coverd many times so do a search. 
My  :twocents: , if you are running 800hp.....yea you are wasting your time with a yota alxle, you may want too look into dana 60's and currie 9s.  If you are running more than a 40" tire, then you had better build up them 60's too.  The toyota axles are stout, but 800hp is enough to granade a Dana 60.

What is the purpose of this rig, why so much HP?  Not saying its bad just curious.

dieselsmoke [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2006, 10:27:25 PM »
well it started out to be a mud truck, then I thought I can still make it a crawler I would just have a real low ratio, so I figured what the hell, I have the 22re in it now that is getting replaced with a 5.0 ford engine that I have. then I thought if I can fit a 5.0 that means that a 5.8 will fit, so I'm going to build a 351 stroker motor and put a NV1500 and a NP205 behind it I guess I will have to add the Dana 60S to the list

as for now I will go with the chromoly axles and birfields, I have a 91 that will get the 5.0 drivetrain when the stroker motor is ready, so that saved me some money, cause now I don't have to find axles for the 91, wait a minute Dana 60's are pricey oh well so it will be a 50 or 60k 4x4

I will put it to you like this.... I'm building a 4x4 that is going to be the :pokinit:, I will not compromise quality for cost and if or should I say when it breaks I will build it stronger

I just wasn't sure if the chromoly birfields were stronger than the birfield eliminators but I guess when you think about it it's just a universal joint verses a CV joint, and the CV joint would have more contact surface than a universal joint

by the way if you haven't seen my truck the thread is in the tech 79-95 section titled and the build begins