Author Topic: Strength of a Toy 8" rear  (Read 3280 times)

S-10 Stewy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 127
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Strength of a Toy 8" rear
« on: Jan 15, 2006, 10:19:50 PM »
OK guys, I don't see many posts about this and it has been on my mind lately.  I know most of us would call our rear Toy axles "stellar" or "frickin tuff" :_order:  but I want to get some feed back from those who have one.  I am  guessing that because very few are ever broke, we just don't talk much about em but here is what I am wanting to hear about:

If you have broken a rear, what failed?  Anybody ever twisted a rear shaft?  Anybody ever broke a rear 4340 axle shaft?  :bowdown:  and lastly, has anybody ever broke a rear driveline from just plain old torque / excessive power / abuse?  :wag:

I welcome your comments.  :-)
It's built Chevy tough with Toyota stuff!

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
Re: Strength of a Toy 8" rear
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »
went through about 4 4.10 rearends( 3 welded 1 open) and 2 4.37 rearends (both welded)   peeled a rear housing.. twisted splines on  2 shafts.. LOTTSS of broken ujoints  and  2 yokes.  never sheered any driveline bolts though..  the  housings leave alot to be desired (  they like to peel at the perch which  then peels the rest of the housing.. gets ugly)  pretty much the only thing that  they have going for them is the axle shafts are a hair stouter than a FF dana60 30spline shaft and good ground clearence..
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Carter62

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2006, 10:50:05 PM »
I've been driving mine for seven years with detroit as a dd and the only failure I had was a pinion bearing on the frwy :driving:  :shudder:  makes some bad noise. Other than that I'm suprised I haven't when that thing pops and BANGS on the road engaging :shocking:, gotta have the air pressure equal. Overall, I'm greatly satisfied but I just run 33s and dual stock cases.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2006, 10:56:58 PM »
so far I've only put a huge dent in the back of the pumpkin. :shudder:  guess i'm not wheelin hard enough. :_order:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2006, 11:09:13 PM »
my one buddy has a 99 4runner he went threw 2 ring gears. ive destroyed a ifs front center section cracked every tooth on the ring gear and sheared off about 10 of them,thats why i am SAS my truck with a v6 third member. but all in all i think that the 8" rears are pretty strong, alot of it has to do with the way you put it together if you have takin it apart. you will destoy any rearend if its not together right. :hammerhead:
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

S-10 Stewy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:11:17 AM »
Dang Ironclad ......I am guessing a very heavy right foot at just the right time is leading to some heavy destruction.  You did not say what the time frame was that you had all those part fail .... 1yr, 2yr ....????

Also, what size tires, gears, engine and are you doubled up on the cases?

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:54:48 AM »
through  about 2 and a half years.. stock case   mostly modified motors (LC engineering efi performer 4cyl)  lots of heavy foot assaults   with tires ranging from 31 to 37.  my first time through the rubicon i was on 4.10 gears and 37" tires  welded in the back and made it through with only tearing a shock off.  Im not to big on yota stuff as my halfton chevy crap that i got for 50 bucks ( 10bolt front 12bolt rear) has served me alot better than the yota stuff has.

i know how to drive but my drive style is alot more throttle related.. its that go fast in me ( im the retard you see up in the hills blasting by you at 50mph in the snow )
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:54:53 AM »
im guessing since Marlin runs like  a 3.93tranny+4.7+4.7+4.7+5.29  and 35-37"tires  that should explain alot
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:57:06 AM »
only gone through one driveline and i use ALOT of throttle, to make up for lack of skill of course.  :gap:
You win some, you lose some.

S-10 Stewy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:01:02 PM »
Good feed back!  I want more .... c'mon everybody, I want to hear (and so does everybody else) the low down on broken rear axles.  I know there are more stories out their.

Nice picture there seanc.  Beautiful I must say!

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:03:53 PM »
heres the only pic i have of my broken housing

Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:40:02 PM »
Jeez dude, how'd you do that?? :headscratch:

Nothing bad about mine, I did blow a ring gear with a detroit, but those gears had been in there for about 3 years, and when I looked at them after they were pulled, I noticed they had worn kinda funny.  I don't think they were set up right.  Also, I've sheared off 2 driveline bolts, at different times, but I really don't consider that a problem.  I'd rather have those go than say, a ring gear, or a locker :yupyup: 

Other than that, I've never had any troubles.  I've seen my axle tube dropped from about a foot up onto a rock, hitting it almost dead center between the diff and the pass. wheel.  Put a small dent in the housing and scratched the paint.  Also let me know never to let my dad drive my rig on the 'con :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:41:38 PM »
wheelin is how i did it  :gap:
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:51:05 PM »
wheelin is how i did it  :gap:

Really!!!  WOW!!!  I figured it was from doign a little mall crawlin'  :smack:  :rofl:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:00:03 PM »
Hey now, I have done some serious mall crawlin' I am quite an authority on the matter.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:03:42 PM »
Hey now, I have done some serious mall crawlin' I am quite an authority on the matter.

I see, so how many axle tubes have you broken :hahaha:

-Ronald Reagan

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:05:47 PM »
Well, I try. Sometimes, the terrain gets a little gnarly, but time will tell.
mrkupfer@gmail.com

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:31:15 AM »
heres the only pic i have of my broken housing

we need more info on this one, what year is the housing, is this the factory spring perch or did you weld them on.
I don't remember who told that the newer style housing (95+ I think, the longer ones) is weaker then the older ones.

from y experience, the rear axle has no strength issue, I once pulled a friend out of a real heavy mud hole about 4' deep,
I was bouncing all around, it took me about 8 time before I got him out with the pedal to the floor, that was on my
88 pickup v6, that rear axle is now on my runner and is in good shape.

v6 third member have more ribs on their side which resolve the issue of the third flexing and allowing some binding and
this is how most breakage happen.
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:42:50 AM »
was an 85 housing which is the stronger style. factory spring perch the only thing that was not stock in/on that axle was the shock mounts and the dodge leaf springs. 

the rear axle does have alot of strength issues.. mostly with the housing. they LOVVEEEE to peel and squish and bend.. ive seen it all and ive seen it alot.  ive had less problems with my half ton chevy junk than i did with toyota  axles..

and gearsets dont fail because of housing flex.  they  fail because the ring gear deflects  ( has nothing to do with extra ribs on the housing)  and they murder themselves.   trucks with v6 thirds eat themselves just as often as 4cyl housings.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:00:18 AM »
and gearsets dont fail because of housing flex.  they  fail because the ring gear deflects  ( has nothing to do with extra ribs on the housing)  and they murder themselves.   trucks with v6 thirds eat themselves just as often as 4cyl housings.

uh! and the ring gear deflect because of what  ???
It has been proven that the extra ribs on the side of the third member is a major improvment strength wise. the ring gear deflect
 because of the third member deflecting. I didn't say the housing was flexing.
beleive me or not I've never seen a rear axle tube nrak like yours, and if you ask me, I think it's due to other thing then strength issue.
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:07:48 AM »
i ment the third houseing.. should have been easy to pick up since i mentioned the ribs.. but anyway. the ring gear deflects because the pinion is trying to walk on it  and pushes the ring gear away which =  boom

on the housing.. go look at one and just look at the weld that holds the 2 halfs together . thats where they start to peel and crack and then it travels up around the spring perch weld.. its not a good design.. and on the later model housings they smash around the perches.  this is extremely normal.. if you go look in lilbuddy's thread you will notice his  axle housing did the same thing  and i know he isnt as hard on his rig as i am on mine.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

S-10 Stewy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2006, 02:34:21 PM »
Wow guys ... awesome sparing going on here!  :hammerhead:  I love the feed back.. I have my own views on this issue ... but I want to hear some more from others. ;)

S-10 Stewy

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:43:36 PM »
I've been through 2 sets of 4.37s and am currently close to changing out my 4.30s, all on 31s peg-leggin it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:44:44 PM »
The Toyota 8" is a tough little monster, I have seen them hold up to some harsh abuse.  Although if you are running a V8 and large tire or vise versa, you could break them if you really wanted to.  Buddy of mine has a locker and the all pro axle shaft, with 37" Toyo's, and a built 3.0L and does dry pavment donuts all the time.  He did however break a 5.29 ring though  :gap: .

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:04:52 PM »
I have done some dry pavement burnouts when I was first goofing off in my truck after we built it.  Third was set-up very well and everything else seemed to hold up. Of course, the 22R doesn't have that much power either, but a 40 inch tire is a 40 inch tire. No obliterated axle housings though.
mrkupfer@gmail.com