Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 911282 times)

GRW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 425-903-6392
    • View Profile
The only line I worry about is my fuel line.  It runs up the passanger side and its too close to the header for comfort.  Still trying to decide if I wanna move the hard line or make a shield.  What did  you all do?

I used the fuel lines from the Tacoma that along with a brake line bending tool.
The Taco lines were long enough (once reshaped) to run from the stock fuel tank location to the drivers side of the engine bay.
I have seen other people do it the same way.
84 XTRA CAB 3RZ
01 Tundra for sale
11 TDI Sportwagon
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=274806

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
The only line I worry about is my fuel line.  It runs up the passanger side and its too close to the header for comfort.  Still trying to decide if I wanna move the hard line or make a shield.  What did  you all do?

I used some fabric heat shield material from Jegs or Summit on that portion of the fuel line.  I think it's still on my truck.  I can mail it to you if you want it...

PM me an address if you want it and I'll send it in an envelope or flat rate.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Downpipe fabrication.
I used a manifold from Treadstone performance.   It's a cast manifold, but it's thick, the metal is somewhat soft, but I don't trust the "tube" manifolds that I see being built.
As far as I'm concerned the best manifold in the business is made by Steed Speed, but it's not inexpensive at $750.  Treadstone is around $350.
It's setup for an external wastegate, which I had from my 22RTE.. However, plumbing it into the exhaust isn't trivial...

My turbo has a V-band exit, it allows the exhaust to rotate, which is helpful for prototyping.

Here's the mockup:

The LC engineering manifold is beast!
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

GRW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 425-903-6392
    • View Profile
do you have a picture of that valve clearance? which 22re heater valve did you use, the metal one or the plastic?

The 22RE's was the metal one.
The Taco valve (plastic) was 90 deg off of the 22RE's and the cable just would not work.
I can take some pictures of the valve when I get home, it is a snug fit (had to tweek a couple brackets so it would not rub).
84 XTRA CAB 3RZ
01 Tundra for sale
11 TDI Sportwagon

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I just deleted mine. 
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

GRW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 425-903-6392
    • View Profile
My 84 had an 86 EFI in it before I started the 3RZ swap.
My 86 had a metal valve on it.
I have it installed but its a snug fit, once I start it I will know if it's going to be an issue or not.
It does have some clearance (after being tweeted a little).
You can also trim some of the excess material to give it more clearance ( I will try that before going out to find another).

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1043276/fullsize/photo-3.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1043278/fullsize/photo-5.jpg

84 XTRA CAB 3RZ
01 Tundra for sale
11 TDI Sportwagon

GRW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 425-903-6392
    • View Profile
I hope to find out soon......
I will be installing flooring up stairs this weekend so I will most likely not find out for another week..... or two  :-\
It depends on how everything goes, still have a few things on my list.
Do you have (or can you take) a picture of the newer plastic valve?
Do you have a picture of it installed?
Or better yet does anyone have a picture of both side by side?
How about a part number??? I can get my parts guy to order me one up.
I know it's "REAL close" and if it clears during motor twist it will be tight.  :eek:
I also do not have stock t-case mounts so I will not have as much movement as a stock mounted set up will.
But if I can get the small plastic valve before I crank it over for the first time (in this truck) I would feel better about it.  :eyebrow:

Thanks  :D
84 XTRA CAB 3RZ
01 Tundra for sale
11 TDI Sportwagon

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
I had the metal valve I think.  No problems here yet after about 800 miles. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
1" body lift haha

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Hey fellas my 3RZ is running too hot with my stock radiator. I'm torn between dropping in a 3 row CSF or going the aluminum route. Anyone care to chime in on what is working well to keep your swap cool?

GRW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 425-903-6392
    • View Profile
Hey fellas my 3RZ is running too hot with my stock radiator. I'm torn between dropping in a 3 row CSF or going the aluminum route. Anyone care to chime in on what is working well to keep your swap cool?

Is it an old radiator or new?
How close is the fan?
Did you have the shroud on it?
Have you thought about an electric fan?

84 XTRA CAB 3RZ
01 Tundra for sale
11 TDI Sportwagon

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile

I have a 3 row CSF in mine and it works great.
http://www.amazon.com/CSF-89-95-Toyota-4Runner-Radiator/dp/B000CFTI1U/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1417963677&sr=1-13&keywords=toyota+3+row
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Is it an old radiator or new?
How close is the fan?
Did you have the shroud on it?
Have you thought about an electric fan?

It appears to be newer. It was on the truck when I bought it. The fan is 2 1/4" away from the radiator as it sits now. The shroud is installed yes. I thought about an electric fan however would prefer to not have to go that route. Below you will find some pictures of my current radiator. It is quite a small unit measuring only 20" tall and has brackets that push it closer to the fan. I believe the 3 row CSF model# 2314 found here may be the best route for me seeing as it should drop right in and is over twice as big of a radiator as I'm currently running.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
I have a 3 row CSF in mine and it works great.
http://www.amazon.com/CSF-89-95-Toyota-4Runner-Radiator/dp/B000CFTI1U/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1417963677&sr=1-13&keywords=toyota+3+row

Yeah that is the route I am teetering towards myself. The one you linked is a different model I'm guessing because you have a 1st gen truck.

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
I had my stock one in for a couple weeks but I just ordered the one on amazon for 85 runners.  I'll update when it gets here.  Using a semi cheap electric fan with thermostat.  It doesn't get hot where I live.  The rubithon is the hottest it will see. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

androxy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -32
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hello everyone.

Long time lurker first time poster.

I have read most of this thread I think and it has served me well through my swap however i have a few questions that i haven't been able to sort out and they are really starting to bug me.

3rz is into a 89 Model Hilux Surf which had a 22R in it from factory. Motor is wired to run with the basics only. For the life of me i cannot get the charging system working, the old 22r had an external regulator which i have deleted and by following the limited wiring diagrams i have been able to find i still cannot get the 3rz alt which is internally regulated to produce power. I am only using the motor harness from the 3rz everything else is either fresh wiring or existing 22R that i am trying to get working. I currently have it wired as below.

3RZ Alternator wire colour                            Standard Body Loom wire colour
White / Red                                           To Batt+ via 100amp breaker
     Yellow Black                                                 Yellow Blue To  Ign Switch via Charge Fuse Charge Lamp and Ign fuse
     Red Blue                                                     White To Ign Switch via gauge fuse
    White                                                            Red Blue To Ign Switch Via Engine Fuse

Can anybody help me out with this?

Also I've got my wiring drawn up for the Water Temp and Oil Press gauges in the factory 22R Dash, are the senders the same on the 3rz will these gauges read correctly?

Tacho is all sorted I'm really annoyed as the alt should have been the easiest part. Many thanks to anyone who can help me out  :thumbs:

Cheers

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
According to this post, you're missing a ground wire, but I don't see that wire in tacoma diagrams.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54868.0

Here's a tacoma diagram:
http://www.2rzturbo.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1998_tacoma_Charging.pdf - which doesn't indicate a ground.
and another giving the same thing:
http://www.2rzturbo.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2rz_alterator_wiring_diagram.jpg

On the 22R application, I found this, see the section on an wiring an internally regulated alternator.
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/tech-info/22r-fuel-injection-conversion-harness-85-88-donor/

Original IC Regulator Connector To Newer Alternator Wiring
-Smaller white wire To Smaller white wire
-Red wire To Red wire
-Yellow wire To Yellow wire
-Large white cable To Large white cable

There are indications on pirate of a franken-alternator using the 22R regulator and 3rz alternator...

Non-alternator questions:
As well as I can remember, the 22R has an oil light switch, not an oil pressure gauge, can you clarify?  On the 22RE, the 3rz oil pressure gauge sender and the 3rz gauge sender were not the same, but both were BSP thread, so I just swapped them.

Can you indicate what you did for the tach?  I know about the pull-up mod, but I'm curious as how you dealt with it.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2014, 12:45:19 PM by dcg9381 »

androxy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Hi dcg9381,

Thanks for the response, i will have a read through those threads and see if i can't get something sorted. None of my wiring diagrams show an earth wire and i definitely have not hooked one up.

My22r dash has an oil pressure gauge, however i am fairly certain that all the hilux utes that came out with 3z's over here only had a light so I'm doubtful that I'm going to be able to get the gauge working. Might just have to put an led in the dash and use it as a warning light. I will run aftermarket oil temp gauges etc. anyway for peace of mind.

As far as the tach wiring goes i followed threads on here http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23540.0 see this link, pretty sure this is one of the ones i followed.

Once again thanks for the help and i shall post up what happens. The biggest issue seems to be the difference between the USA motors and what we got down under. Our 2000 models do not have any 02 Sensors or OBD2. Our emissions laws were very relaxed when it came to commercial vehicles until 2006.

EDIT: And with regards to the wiring that you quoted, that was what i tried initially in the hope it would work, the way i have it wired in my original post is what i came up with after a few hours pondering various wiring diagrams.

Cheers
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2014, 05:17:29 AM by androxy »

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My 22RE dash has the "SR-5" cluster in it, which has the oil pressure gauge.  I measured the sender output to be different than the output of the 2RZ.  So I swapped the senders.
The water temperature gauge sender measured the same (cold water, warm water, hot water) as the 2RZ sender, so I kept that one.

Let us know what you find on the alternator...   Worst case, there are indications of converting to GM alternators...

What did you do for the tach?

androxy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well i don't even know if I should post this but the alternator problem is solved. After more hours of reading wiring diagrams and playing with the multimeter i thought it was time to get back to basics. So i started by removing the harness plug from the rear of the alternator. It came out a little too easy, turns out whilst i had the motor on the stand and was fitting the engine harness i didn't plug the connector in correctly. All fixed now and charge light is working  :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

For the tach i hooked the tach wire from the ecu up to the standard gauge and used the resistor to bring it back to correct reading, as per the thread i linked to on the previous page.

Cheers

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Its always the little things that will get you... glad you figured it out. 
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
i just got a new header for my 3rz and it came with an O2 sensor port on the tube down.  My last header didn't have one, and the 02 sensor is farther downstream.  Anyone have a link or measurements to where both 02 sensors are sposed to go?
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
i just got a new header for my 3rz and it came with an O2 sensor port on the tube down.  My last header didn't have one, and the 02 sensor is farther downstream.  Anyone have a link or measurements to where both 02 sensors are sposed to go?

Both the O2 sensors on the doner vehicle were right before and after the cat.  I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if the upstream one was further upstream though as long as it's after the collector...

What header did you get?

I haven't forgotten that heat shield stuff for the fuel line, I just haven't been home in the daylight to take it off.  I'll send it to you next week.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

androxy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I don't have any O2 Sensors  :thumbs:

But also no OBD2  :thumbdown:

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
I ended up with a trail gear rock ripper.  I hate trail gear like everyone else.  I just couldn't beat the price and I plan on going turbo before too long anyways, so Its not long term.  Sure enough though trail gear let me down... the EGR connector is about 3/4 of an inch too close to the engine, so it absolutely will not meet up with the tube.  They included a block off plate so I will use that for now. 
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
While the 22RE is out.. What did you guys do to re-route the clutch lines? 

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I ended up with a trail gear rock ripper.  I hate trail gear like everyone else.  I just couldn't beat the price and I plan on going turbo before too long anyways, so Its not long term.  Sure enough though trail gear let me down... the EGR connector is about 3/4 of an inch too close to the engine, so it absolutely will not meet up with the tube.  They included a block off plate so I will use that for now. 

I had the 10K ohm resistor trick in the egr plug and it worked to fool the ECU. If you search it's in here somewhere...
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
While the 22RE is out.. What did you guys do to re-route the clutch lines? 

I used the doner clutch line.
– Steve McQueen

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Anyone else do something different or happen to know the thread types on the OEM clutch line so I can bend-up my own?

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I coiled my clutch line and just used the stocker on my 84 4runner.