Author Topic: 2002 3RZ dist.less ignition tach install question  (Read 23369 times)

MudSlinginYota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Oct '05
  • riggen
    • View Profile
2002 3RZ dist.less ignition tach install question
« on: Apr 20, 2006, 10:39:57 PM »
can someone inform me of how im supposed to wire a tach an a dist.less motor????
1986 toyota 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61257.0
1997 dodge ram 4x4 (for sale)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
there should be a plug for the tach, 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
From the Igniter. On older Toyota wiring systems, there is a Black wire that runs from the Igniter, into a junction, and then to the tachometer. On the newer Toyota wiring systems, such as yours, they changed the wire color to a Green-Black wire (Green wire with a Black line).

Usually the junction splits the TAC signal between the Tachometer, the ECU, the Data connector (OBD-II), and the Igniter.

You can pick the signal from any part of the junction/branch.

Also, you might need to use a tach signal converter now that it will not have the same pulse as a single coil system. See this page: Dakota Digital Universal Tachometer Signal Interface

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
I'm also having a problem with the tach on my 2000 twin coil 3rz swap....Its NOT working.... My toyota wiring manual says the tach wire is solid black and comes out of the ECU on pin 15 of the E8 connector and then through the harness and goes to pin 7 on the 1K2 connector (which is one of the main plugs you wire everything to). Well I tried connecting that black wire to the "p" (pulse?) terminal on the back of the '85 SR5 cluster and nothing happens.....

I have one buddy that did a 3rz swap and he just used the black wire to run his Autometer Tach.

I have another buddy that did a 2rz swap and his tach wire was black/yellow which he also ran to a Autometer Tach.

I don't see any green/black wires???

Any ideas.... PLEASE .....
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2006, 05:46:35 PM by 4RnrRick »

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Anybody try the 10 ohm mod people use on a 3vzfe (3.0 V6) to 5vzfe (3.4 V6) swap as shown in this post to get the factory tack to work .....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320925

I think I'm going to try it - couldn't hurt.....

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Well I guess I'm on my own on this one! But I did get it figured out!!!!

So from the above link:

"...Soldering a 10k ohm 1/4 watt resistor..."
Here is a 1st gen 4runner tach:
{see picture below}

I was going to try that on mine to see what happens.....

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
I wanted to mention that the 22RTE cluster I'm dealing with its quite a bit different than 22RE or V6 clusters I've seen. there are several locations where the wires are going into different pin locations and the trace wires on the circuit board are quite a bit different. This basically just means that these two clusters are not interchangable without repinning the wiring harness connectors for the cluster. so I was hoping that wasn't going to be another problem here with the guts of the tach....

Well, what I found was not that surprising. The construction of the tachs are TOTALLY different.

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
So since I already tried the V6 tach in stock form and I got nothing (needle didn't move at all), I figured I would follow the directions on how to modify that tach and see what happens. Btw the V6 tach is just what I'm calling it since thats what it came out of oringally (I don't know the year) - this construction could be used on late model 4cyl's also - I don't know. this 22RTE 2wd tach is from the 85 model year - so maybe all 85's and possibly up to 88 (first year for the V6) might be design like this one - again I don't know.

So thats what I did and then I hard wired the tach and tested it out of the instrument cluster! And to my surprise it worked!!!!

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
So then I carefully looked the tach over to figure out what was going on. I'm NO electrical engineer - but I know enough to get myself into trouble..... anyways it looks like that by soldering that 10K Ohm resistor in parallel with an existing resistor (on the other side of the circuit board which you can't see in the picture above) you are effectively lowering (I think thats right  ) the value of resistance, therefor letting more current flow though the tach. so using that same idea I came up with this plan to solder the same 10K ohm resistor across these two terminals on the 22RTE tach.

So thats what I did and then I tried it!

Again to my surprise it worked!!!!!!! How cool is that!

Anyways it looks like the tach tech from the 3.4L 5vz-fe swap guys also works on the 2.7L 3rz-fe swaps when trying to reuse the factory tach.

Then I hooked up my OBDII interface and the laptop to check to see how accurate the tach was since this software can show me a digital readout of the RPMS the ECU is sensing. and sure enough it looked to be dead nuts on! So thank you guys for helping me figure that one out - I was really pretty stressed over not getting the tach to work!

And here is yet another quick video showing the tach on the laptop matching the tach in the vehicle! I do have to admit that this OBDII interface its pretty sweet!

2.1 MB, 0:34 seconds Download here:
http://www.rcpics.net/img/77083

MudSlinginYota [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '05
  • riggen
    • View Profile
3RZ man 2.7l 4cyl

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
all I have to say is that 4rnrRick is a pimp.
That's how I roll

MudSlinginYota [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '05
  • riggen
    • View Profile
is all the wiring you just poseted the same as mine?2002 taco 2.7? i need to get myself a dang haynes manuel :hammerhead:

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
I don't know, mine is a 2000 twin coil Taco 3rz. so once you find the tack wire (mine was black), and mod your tack like its shown above with a 10Kohm resistor, then it should work.

And what you need is a Facory electrical wiring schematic book for your specific motor - they ROCK!

MudSlinginYota [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '05
  • riggen
    • View Profile
alright well then im gonna go pickup a tach and try this out

tfrere

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Anyone have to do this modification for the 22RTE Digital tach?

Mike: would there be any different wireing issues for the digital cluster in a 85 SR5 4runner when doing a 2000 Tacoma 3RZ swap? I have the whole 2wd doner truck.

4CRSHNU

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Hey all,

Thanks 4RnrRick, I just did this mod on my tach after a 3RZ conversion and it worked perfectly. Mine was the same type as the 22RTE tach.

Cheers

Matt.
85 4Runner with 3RZ Inside

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Matt,

What year is your 3RZ?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey all,

Thanks 4RnrRick, I just did this mod on my tach after a 3RZ conversion and it worked perfectly. Mine was the same type as the 22RTE tach.

Cheers

Matt.

I did this on my '85 that had a 22RE in it and it works perfectly too.  The back side of the tach looks a little bit different than the 22RTE tach that 4RunnerRick posted though.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

4CRSHNU

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Matt,

What year is your 3RZ?

Mine was taken out of a 05 Hilux with 2 coil packs, ours in Australia might be a little different to yours as we didn't get OBDII till 2006 when the new 2.7 came out. Mine was also a little bit different to the 22RTE tach, mine is missing the top PCB.

Matt.
85 4Runner with 3RZ Inside

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Ok, thanks. I am looking for someone with a quad coil 3RZ that has done the resistor mod...

PismoJoe

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Ok, thanks. I am looking for someone with a quad coil 3RZ that has done the resistor mod...

Hey Mike, I recently did this 10K ohm mod described by 4runrick to my quad coil (direct coil ignition) 2000 2.4L 2RZ-FE and it worked. The vehicle it went into was a 1986 4Runner 22RE Cluster, looks the same as the 22R-TE cluster minus the turbo light. Hope this helps but that post was 2 years ago so hope you tried it by now!

RyanV

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I wanted to reply to this thread because it's one of the only threads we could find on this topic.

The 10k ohm resistor mod didn't work with my 2004 quad smart coil engine going into the 1993 'later style' tach truck. We are still looking for a solution. Bypassing the resistor did make the tach work, but it only went up to 3k rpms. We're thinking we fudged the tach at some point so it looks like I'm gonna be hitting the salvage yard to pull another tach.

dunejunkie

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Hi Mike,

Do you know where the igniter signal is coming from off the Engine? According to my manual, should be IK2 pin 11.LG-B. For some unkown reason my IK2 plug does not have this wire. It came off a 2004 automatic 3rz, but i swapped the ECU for a manual ecu.

"Usually the junction splits the TAC signal between the Tachometer, the ECU, the Data connector (OBD-II), and the Igniter."

From the Igniter. On older Toyota wiring systems, there is a Black wire that runs from the Igniter, into a junction, and then to the tachometer. On the newer Toyota wiring systems, such as yours, they changed the wire color to a Green-Black wire (Green wire with a Black line).

Usually the junction splits the TAC signal between the Tachometer, the ECU, the Data connector (OBD-II), and the Igniter.

You can pick the signal from any part of the junction/branch.

Also, you might need to use a tach signal converter now that it will not have the same pulse as a single coil system. See this page: Dakota Digital Universal Tachometer Signal Interface

BigMike