Author Topic: clutch problems!  (Read 5926 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
clutch problems!
« on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:27:42 AM »
so yesterday, im driving around, everything is fine.... well the next minute i cant shift my truck into gear, any of them.... tried double clutching, everything.....

if i force it really hard, i can get it to go into gear... here is the the kicker, i can force it into gear, come to a stop light be stopped, foot on the clutch and its fine, take my foot off stopped and it will die...

ugh!
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

colsoncj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Need more money for more mods
    • View Profile
Re: clutch problems!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:35:14 AM »
thats an odd one, have to think about that
87 4Runner, ProComp IFS lift, Chevy Rears, 4.88 w/ lockers Fr & Rr, plenty of goodies and creature comforts!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:43:45 AM »
so yesterday, im driving around, everything is fine.... well the next minute i cant shift my truck into gear, any of them.... tried double clutching, everything.....

if i force it really hard, i can get it to go into gear... here is the the kicker, i can force it into gear, come to a stop light be stopped, foot on the clutch and its fine, take my foot off stopped and it will die...

ugh!
go see if your slave cylinder is leaking or broke
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:29:38 PM »

Hey Jimbo,

I just went through that exact same problem (except for the dying part) a couple of months ago. Everything is shifting and working fine one minute and then the next minute BLAMMO no Shift.  Like Glen said check for a leaky slave.  I would also check the clutch master for fluid, the system for air, and lastly lay under neath and have a friend push on the clutch and see if the slave is completely engaging the shift fork.  Obvious i know but just checking.   I did all of this and still no Shifting.  :wall:

[li]Has your tranny been making noise? (Mine had been making a faint grinding/gurgling in 2nd for a couple of months), could tell something was wrong but couldn't figure out what[/li]

[li]Can you cycle through the gears with the truck off? (Mine would not) This is when i suspected the Tranny [/li]

On top of that I could occasionally force it into gear, but not enough to try driving any where :tantrum:

Long story short I blew the main (or is it carrier) bearings hence the noise, and had to replace the tranny.

hope it helps :thumbs:
    Thaddeous
    I like to Drive!

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:25:22 PM »
    i jsut replaced the tranny, and i can drive it jsut fine, no slipping no problems it still likes all gears, its still driveable.... it jsut feels liek they arent happy to go into gear... the problem feels almost clutch related, but not at the same time.....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
    • Male Posts: 9,757
    • Member since Oct '04
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:57:56 PM »
    That's exactly what mine did when the springs on the clutch disc came apart.  Hope that's not the case with yours.
    RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:06:07 PM »
    i doubt it... i certaintly hope not, its a new marlin 1600 clutch...... honestly, everything drives liek its fine....

i wonder if it has anything to do withte weather change? its been raining, and htis problem didnt start until yeserday morning.... the first of the rain?

my truck also idles way hi, so i wonder if that is the issue? im going to try and adjsut it later on and see if that helps....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:18:50 PM »
    Mine would be fine, then pieces would get stuck between the disc and flywheel and it would act up, then they'd fall out and it'd be fine again.  I really don't see weather being a factor either.
    RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:34:02 PM »
    alright heres a bit more info.... for around the past year, i have seen an oily substance that i cant figure out what it is dripping down the inside of the cab near the cowl and going to the floor right about where the footrest dead pedal is left of the clutch.... hmmmm i think thats my clutch master leaking... is there a way to test that before i spend $ on it? its level is ok, but a tad low.... later tonight, early tomorrow morning i will pull it into the garage and start playing with stuff....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:40:43 PM »
    Take a flashlight and look under the dash where the pedal hooks up to it.  If the fluid is coming out there then it's done.  I know you've already spent a fair amount of green on this thing, but a clutch master is pretty cheap. 
    RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
    • Turtle Points: 730
    • Male Posts: 13,860
    • Member since Jul '04
    • Lego Enforcement
      • View Profile
      • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
    « Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2005, 12:16:46 AM »
    You did just replace the clutch, pressure plate and  all related parts so if your master cyl. was already leaking you put a heavy load on it with all those new parts especially that pressure plate. That old seal probably couldn't handle it.
    « Last Edit: Dec 22, 2005, 03:37:22 AM by Rocksurfer »
    The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2005, 01:13:03 AM »
    the slave isnt that old... i will look @ it tomorrow... the pedal feels a little wierd, and i think the mc is leaking, the level goes down every so often and there is some oily line around my dead pedal area..... if i double clutch the truck like 5-10 times it goes in... and its clutch engagement too, not jsut rpms matching the tranny

im actually more thinking its the mc and not the slave causing the problems..... also how do i adjsut for proper clutch play? basically, the clutch right now isnt doing anything well feel wise until i get 3/4 swing to the floor, then it feels not spongy, jsut not hard.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
    • Member since Jul '04
    • Lego Enforcement
      • View Profile
      • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
    « Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2005, 03:36:26 AM »
    :doh: I said slave!!!? I meant Master :doh:

........I go fix now.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
    • Member since May '05
    • Ouch My Eye!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2005, 08:23:25 AM »
    ... i have seen an oily substance that i cant figure out what it is dripping down the inside of the cab near the cowl and going to the floor right about where the footrest dead pedal is left of the clutch.... hmmmm i think thats my clutch master leaking... is there a way to test that before i spend $ on it? its level is ok, but a tad low.... later tonight, early tomorrow morning i will pull it into the garage and start playing with stuff....

See if it smells like hydraulic fluid.  If so replace the Clutch master.  Don't do what I did and forget to bench bleed it  :smack:   It would be a good idea anyway since all the other parts are new.

Glad it's not your Tranny!
    :thumbs:
    I like to Drive!

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2005, 08:39:30 AM »
    its oily and thin, and really doenst hae a smell, i think ti dripping down the cowl to my floor diluted its smell... smells oily but its clear and not a distinct smell like brake fluid

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:28:52 AM »
    pulled into the garage had my dad press on the clutch...well, he said there wsa relatively no pedal feel first off

i looked under it, and hte slave appeared to drive the fork all the way back, however either the slave was slow on returning to its released position, or the master was slow at letting the slave release? is that possible? i think there is an issue with misadjustment of somehting or a blowm mc or slave

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
    • Member since Jul '04
    • Lego Enforcement
      • View Profile
      • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
    « Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:32:34 AM »
     :blah:  :blah:  :blah: If it is running down the drivers side firewall, inside or out it can be only 1 of 2 things (well it could be both) but since the brake master is not actually bolted to the firewall it is more than likely the clutch master. If it were the brake master  you'd see it on the booster before it got inside. If you are constantly filling 1, the other, or both then that would be the one leaking. Of course if you ar putting a drop or 2 everytime you service your truck then that's just the brakes/clutch adjusting as the wear. For the most part you shoul almost never have to add to the clutch master or it has a leak.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:35:31 AM »
    the clutch master is never empty, but i do top it off regularly..... ita about 1/4" low right now, and according to the side of the reservoir ahs about 2" of safe zone

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
    • Member since Jul '04
    • Lego Enforcement
      • View Profile
      • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
    « Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:43:32 AM »
    the clutch master is never empty, but i do top it off regularly..... ita about 1/4" low right now, and according to the side of the reservoir ahs about 2" of safe zone

.....and how often do you top it off?

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:45:23 AM »
    once a month, and its never been more than 1/8" low, today, its jsut about 1/4" low from the max fill line

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
    • Member since Jul '04
    • Lego Enforcement
      • View Profile
      • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
    « Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:02:26 AM »
    If you're fillin it, it's leaking. I never ever, ever have to top mine off. Now the brakes as they wear will  need a little here and there but even it will need very little over the life of a set of brakes. The question at that point is where is the leak, but you say you have some running down the firewall so it would be the clutch master.

seaflea

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
    • Turtle Points: -153
    • Male Posts: 35
    • Member since Feb '05
    • Crawling with Marlin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:06:04 AM »
    Jim,
    I have had master cylinders and Slaves go out and not leak anything. On the same note I have had them leak when they went too!
    From what I have seen, if the master is leaking, it is either going bad or bad. there is nothing in the MC that would leak into the cab unless
    the piston is letting fluid by.

Will

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
    • Member since May '05
    • Ouch My Eye!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:12:19 AM »
    :blah: :blah: :blah: If it is running down the drivers side firewall, inside or out it can be only 1 of 2 things (well it could be both) but since the brake master is not actually bolted to the firewall it is more than likely the clutch master. If it were the brake master you'd see it on the booster before it got inside. If you are constantly filling 1, the other, or both then that would be the one leaking. Of course if you ar putting a drop or 2 everytime you service your truck then that's just the brakes/clutch adjusting as the wear. For the most part you shoul almost never have to add to the clutch master or it has a leak.
    Good responce Rocksurfer.  :clap2:  I was stumped.

I did have fluid dripping down my clutch pedal leaving a dark spot of hydro fluid on my carpet (replaced it)
    I like to Drive!

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2005, 11:26:14 AM »
    so about the fork not returning to the depressed position, is that normal? or is the hydraulic system messed up?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
    • Member since Jul '04
    • Lego Enforcement
      • View Profile
      • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
    « Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2005, 11:32:20 AM »
    I've never had that problem, the spring should return it to the released position quickly and so should the pressure plate.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2005, 12:13:40 PM »
    spring? what spring?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2005, 01:30:13 PM »
    also, is there a way to adjsut it to work better until i can replace it? or should i jsut drive carefully?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
    • Member since May '05
    • Ouch My Eye!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2005, 01:50:21 PM »
    so about the fork not returning to the depressed position, is that normal? or is the hydraulic system messed up?
    havn't run into that yet! :dunno:   I am curious to if you get it figured out.
    I like to Drive!

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2005, 03:15:10 PM »
    ok think i know its the mc now, the mc for the clutch is leaking definately, the hole where the rod goes through to the pedal is a rubber boot, well the actual hole is hard and elongated, and there is a droplet acumulating on it... i never saw it actually drip but there is a line of fluid right below it

i adjsuted the rod into the mc a bit more and it feels like i gained back some pressure... im about to go out, and see if that helped or not.... :crossed:

~ John F. Kennedy ~

seaflea

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
    • Turtle Points: -153
    • Male Posts: 35
    • Member since Feb '05
    • Crawling with Marlin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2005, 03:25:54 PM »
    It may help you out for a little while, but it will go out. Start saving the cash now for a new one.