Author Topic: How long has BFG had the rim protector on their tires?  (Read 2260 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
How long has BFG had the rim protector on their tires?
« on: Dec 10, 2005, 11:14:45 AM »
I ask cause I just picked up the tires and wheels I bought off ebay and they have the rim protector, but there's very slight cracking between the lugs.  They don't feel super hard or anything, but I'm curious how old they might be.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
Started with the AllTerrain K/O's about 6 years ago, now on most of their light truck tires.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

InstaGator

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -99
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Marlin-less Nissan :(
    • View Profile
The rim protector does nothing for the sidewall. Ask me how I know.
Lator....
Nissan's need Marlin too. Won't you help?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
yea really,  i like my bridgestones,  they ride good,  nice and quiet,   but run over a piece of steel one time and goodbye sidewall   they have the rim protector thingy also :dunno:  sidewall was like a 1 ply  cord :yikes:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
That's all fine and dandy, but I just really wanna know how old my tires are.  I think I figured out the code on the sidewalls though, just hafta wait till monday and ask a friend at les schwabb.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Check out the DOT numbers on the tires.  Every tire has one...anyway the last 4 numbers of the code are what you're interested in.  Those numbers represent the week and the year that the tire was made. 

For example: 3504 means the tire was made in the 35th week of 2004

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Thanks Ryan, that's what I needed to ask my friend.  Sounds like I actually had figured it out myself then.  Guess the tires are 3 years old then, seems kinda recent to already be cracking up between the lugs. 
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
if the tires sat a long time then they are most likely jsut cosmetic cracks and nothing to worry about, its the properties of rubber drying out and not getting used..... they will be fine.....

pretty much as afar as cracks on tires go, if you cant see the core or threads of the inside of the tire, they are jsut cosmetic and will be fine
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Yea, I'm not so worried about em as I am dissapointed because they were described to be in better shape than they are.  Knowing me I'll sell the wheels and tires before I end up using them anyway.  Anything to make a buck I guess.
RIP KYOTA

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
3 years isn't normally to bad, if you take pictures of the tires and cracks I could tell you how bad they really are.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.