Author Topic: hope you all got to experience gatekeeper  (Read 7239 times)

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: hope you all got to experience gatekeeper
« Reply #30 on: Nov 25, 2005, 05:48:44 PM »
they would get really mad and blow them up again. 

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 27, 2005, 04:44:47 PM »
i havent read most this thread because im late for work but would it work if people imported rocks? perhaps making it harder :dunno: maybe a lame idea to move huge boulders but its just a thought....

makes for a good way to get the entire trail shut down.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 27, 2005, 11:22:33 PM »
This is the sight where Gate Keeper once stood  keeping the unworthy off the trail. Let this plaque stand in its place to warn you what lies ahead"

:rofl2:   what lies ahead?!  A paved highway?  ...

:D  :stopit:
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 27, 2005, 11:33:17 PM »
makes for a good way to get the entire trail shut down.

i guess your right, i suppose we all just have to deal with what happened so more stuff doesnt get blown up.

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2005, 12:17:26 AM »
Wow I was saving gas money to tow my rig to the con next summer or the spring afterwards but now, I'm not sure. Stupid hippies. Now a bunch of newbs are going to make it into spider lake and flopp it up so much. This is just going to make the littering worse because the good wheelers litter less than noobs.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #35 on: Nov 28, 2005, 06:57:38 AM »
Wow I was saving gas money to tow my rig to the con next summer or the spring afterwards but now, I'm not sure. Stupid hippies. Now a bunch of newbs are going to make it into spider lake and flopp it up so much. This is just going to make the littering worse because the good wheelers litter less than noobs.

I've seen it happen, there used to be a gatekeeper of sorts at Dishpan/Deep Creek in SBNF. It was the creek, kept people with POS vehicles at bay, you had to navigate the creek which is somewhat deep for a stocker and then once you got wet the other side was a rock garden so you had to climb over them with wet tires. Now with all the whining by tree huggers there is a bridge across and no rock garden. The whole area is closed right now for fire recovery but the last  time I was there you could drive your 2wd Toyota Tercel across. They did this to stop siltation downstream, now it's a swimming hole for granny and the kids. They were splashing around having a great time, creating 10 times the siltation we had driving across. Plus they have 100 times the vehicles on the other side eroding the trail and going further up the trail and getting stuck. This would be the Rubicon's future I would imagine I'm thinking we will see lots of numnutz on the slabs now off the trail going everywhere, gobs of rollovers and trash all over the place.

:shake:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #36 on: Nov 28, 2005, 09:28:42 AM »
Cruzila, do you have a link where this is discussed on FOTR?

:eye: Y :eye: my sig LOL
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 28, 2005, 11:30:20 AM »
 :smack: I have my sigs and avatars turned off because of using this profile at work. I can't take a chance of what some people might decide to put either place.

I don't turn them back on at home, not only is it a PITA to keep switching back and forth, but it is particularly embarrasing when I forget to switch them back off and log on at work to show someone our thread and there's some huge bouncing boob avatar.

I'll check it out later :eye:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 28, 2005, 04:27:31 PM »
This would be the Rubicon's future I would imagine I'm thinking we will see lots of numnutz on the slabs now off the trail going everywhere, gobs of rollovers and trash all over the place.

:shake:

im thinking that is the fate of the con now that i think about it, sadly all the cool guys that know what they're doing wont be there anymore because of all the idiots that will go out just to get drunk. It will drive all the people that really care about the place away. Its sad they have to learn this way but when next summer rolls around and the place is packed with dumbarses partying and turning it into a dump hopefully who ever blew gate keeper up will learn why what they did is so bad. I dont know about all you guys and gals but fordyce is looking more appealing to me now....

derek [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:07:52 AM »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #40 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:18:39 AM »
Looks like they made a highway out of it. :(

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

TEXXX

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 814
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling in Cool, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:55:51 AM »
i understand this is a soil erosion issue but with that said isnt this gonna attract alot of first time wheelers to the trail now that dont understand the rules of the trail thus trashing the trail even more. i have some great memories of gatekeeper and will miss it alot!

RIP Gatekeeper
RIP Gatekeeper you will be missed!

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:05:28 AM »
This really bites my butt, I haven't been able to go up this year and know this. RIP GateKeeper
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 30, 2005, 04:23:27 PM »
never been to the con.  want to make it out one day. :headshake:
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:22:40 PM »
I found this info on Cal4wheels bbs:

Quote from: Simple Man @ Cal4wheel bbs
For those of you who have not followed all of the different threads on other Bulletin Boards:

The Gatekeeper project was done to keep the trail open. I know that sounds strange but if it was left in the deteriorating condition the Forest Service or Fish and Game would have sued the County to close the trail. For the record, it is a county road.

There were several reasons why the Gatekeeper was blasted.

Traffic - The wait was becoming frustrating for everyone. Traffic was backing up on a regular basis. The delays from the slow going at Gatekeeper were causing road rage.

People were creating bypasses and driving through private property. By eliminating a few rocks, traffic should flow more freely. This is not something that will be applied to the entire trail. Gatekeeper is at the beginning of the trail and sees unusually long delays on the weekends. Farther in along the trail, traffic naturally spreads out and the delays are less frequent.

The Gatekeeper had also become a spectator spot. Guys were trying to show off for the crowd. The bushes were getting trashed and the litter was increasing. The trail grew wider and wider in the area.

Erosion - There is a natural spring at Gatekeeper. We can't direct the water away. The large rocks were an obstacle that promoted the spinning of tires in the wet or loose dirt. This erosion was unacceptable. Concrete was applied (twice) but unsuccessful.

The NEW line - The new line at Gatekeeper became wide right. This was because it was becoming harder and harder to take the obstacle straight on. By driving father right then turning hard left, you got a straighter shot over/between the two big boulders. The problem was the erosion of the hillside. You could measure this erosion in feet not inches.

Something needed to be done. The county did not want a temporary fix. There was some lively discussion on the topic at the November ROC meeting. Ultimately, it was the county's decision. I'm not saying other things could have or should have been tried, but this will solve the above mentioned problems.

The gatekeeper (small "g") aspect will still apply. Drivers will see the obstacles still there. The Alligator Pit will deter those not up to the challenges of the trail.

There is an ongoing discussion as what level the trail should be maintained. Should it be maintained for a 100" vehicle running 31" tires or a 110" vehicle running 39" tires? Once determined, the goal would be to maintain erosion to the point where that rig could get through with a competent driver. A less equipped rig would have a harder time. A better equipped rig would have less of a problem. No specific type of rig would be excluded.

Little Sluice will be dealt with. The illegal pushing of rocks in to the box will be corrected. Either we decide how small they get blasted down to or the county will decide for us.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:26:26 PM »
Another comment:

Quote from: Simple Man @ Cal4wheel bbs

This post was copied from another board. I feel that it is an extremely good summary of what is going on with the Rubicon Trail.

Information I believe to be true
The following is a list of bullets that I believe are true. I'm am not endorsing anything here. This is just some conclusions I have come to with my involvement at FOTR, in meetings, and so on. I was a "Ranter" as recently as 18 months ago. I began attending meetings and so on. I have a perspective today that is much different than 18 months ago. Do I know everything...no. Am I still learning...yes. Is everything below fact...probably not, but it is what I believe at this time. I decided to do this because I think people need a reality check.

*FOTR has much less power than most people believe.

*Many posting in this forum don't have all the information they need to speak intelligently.

*Understanding all the powers that be is extremely difficult without attending meetings for about a year...even more. I'm still learning new things

*The Forest Service cannot do anything to the trail without the County's okay.

*FOTR cannot do anything to the trail without the County's okay.

*The County listens to recommendation from the ROC which includes many groups...not just FOTR and off-roaders.

*The trail will be 'managed' until the Rubicon Trail Master Plan is in place. Managed meaning if there is a serious issue that must be addressed for whatever reason, it will be address. Yep...sluice is considered a serious issue.

*The explosives will likely be used again...why...they are cheap and fast.

*Sluice will be blown next spring...Attend the ROC meetings for a date. You may actually be able to influence how they are used and what goal the explosives would have.

*Most everyone agrees that Sluice should remain the toughest section on the trail. If has been historically and that likely will continue

*The ROC is the best place for information about what will happen on the trail relative to management or anything else

*Competition style rock crawling will not be in the future of the trail

*Fees and permits/user agreements likely will be in the future

*I don't believe there will be a licensed only vehicle rule

*I don't believe there will be a tire height restriction

*The FS will likely enforce the rule of not leaving the trail with your vehicle. You'll have to park along the trail and haul your gear in.

*The FS will expect you to know where you are on the map.

*The trail is 50 feet wide...some may have seen the reflectors near gatekeeper. These likely will be added throughout the trail.
(The easement is 50' wide the trail itself is only 8-10' wide. Doug)

*The official trail easment is in Grey on the FS Restriction map. Get the map by calling the forest service. They'll send it for free...or pick one up at a station.

*The Forest Service cannot close the Rubicon trail, but they can close everything surrounding to off road vehicles that is ENF. They have virtually done this already.

*Only the County can close the trail.

*No new trails will be added anywhere in the ENF until at least 2007 due to the current route designation process underway...it specifically excludes new routes pending completion of this process...sorry Bear.

*Much of the land along the Rubicon trail is private and out of the FS jurisdiction. See the checkered colored boxes on the restriction map...white is private land.

*John Berry, the Forest Supervisor, will likely close about 700 miles of non-system roads within the forest permanently.

*The only non-system roads that look to be allowed in the future are ones the public has complained about...yes the squeeky wheel....

*There are about 6-8 people that regularly carry the weight of FOTR and yes many meetings are a waste of thier time. It is amazing anyone continues to do this for free.

*Slamming each other on this forum is definitely hurting our cause and frankly makes people look silly.

*People should vent and discuss these "Slamming" issue within the FOTR email list...figure out how to get on it. It is not hard. Yes, there were some issues with the server and spamming, but there is no conspiracy to keep anyone off it.

*Don't be afraid to respond to the FOTR email list. Speak up!!

*Snow wheeling on FS routes is in jeopardy.

*Private land owners do have a say and should.

*There is no conspiracy by land owners like Mark Smith to control the trail. But they do have input and it is listened to. Yes, Mark would like to take his people through the Sluice. No, this desire will not cause the sluice to be blown up. It will be multiple factors.

*The long term surviveability of the trail will determine most future actions.

*If a section is an environmental issue or another issue, it likely will be altered, moved, managed and address...but not until there is an RTMP. Until then, bandaids will be used to get to the RTMP

*When an RTMP is done, way more management of the trail will begin... probably making the actions at gatekeeper look tiny.

*Post RTMP...will the trail still be a rock crawling trail? Yes, but it will be much different than today.

*Could there be new areas for "extreme" rock crawling...yes, it is possible, but it won't be in an environmentally sensitive area and likely on private land near the trail.

*Will the trail change in the next 5-10 years...yes. There will be a steady return to what the trail has been historically.

*Will owners of rigs with 42 inch tires be challenged on the future Rubicon...doubt it.

*Would I be building a buggie/trailered only rig for the purpose of going to the Rubicon trail exclusively...not right now.

*Could extreme rigs be accomodated on the Rubicon, yes. You'll have to speak up loudly after the RTMP is in place and push for an area or a piece of private land to allow it.

Again...I don't endorse everything here. This is just what I see coming based on my involvement over the past 18 months. In short...the actions at Gatekeeper are relatively insignificant to what I see coming in 5-10 years. If you are pissed about GK, you need to get involved. If you want to be heard, you need to stand side by side with the 6-8 people and speak up. If you don't do this, I must say...you have nothing to pregnant dog about.

Marlon

I'd like to thank Marlon for taking the time to list the current issues facing the Rubicon Trail.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:41:33 PM »
They still have given a reason for blowing up pinch rock, that was a cool spot too.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #48 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:49:27 PM »
Well according to what this says they will be doing Little Sluice in spring, so break out the Lincoln were going to Rubicon Springs for a Sunday drive.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 07, 2005, 11:59:07 PM »
Then there goes all the fun.  All the ricers will want to take there lowriders on the trail.