Author Topic: Will factory manual locking hubs from an 88 P/U work on a 94 4Runner with autos  (Read 4431 times)

hacksaw

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Oct '04
  • BOOMER SOONER!
    • View Profile
Just wondering which hub will work on a 94 Runner?  I would like to convert it to manual hubs.  I have a set for an 88.  Will these work?  What do I need to do?  Thanks

Shawn
Bone stock 94 Runner.  3VZE, 4x4, 5 speed.  204K miles and counting------96 Runner Limited 4x4, 3.4L Automatic, 144K miles and going strong!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
just guessing but you might have to change the entire hub assembly
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
I was able to do this on my 90 when it still had IFS. I don't know if your 94 is different. The auto hub is basically a flange that drives the axle all the time. I removed that & replaced it with the locking hub. It is a worthwile upgrade to find a non ADD passenger side axle tube & stub axle + 1 new axle seal to get rid of the rest of that ADD crap while you are at it. You can also knock the studs out of the stub axle flanges & replace them with bolts, lock washer & nuts to make it easier to change out a CV axle if one ever fails.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Matt_BC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have a 94 and put manual hubs in ... I dont know what year truck they came out though ... I thought all Aisin hubs for Toys are the same ...  I think they should bolt right in.  The ADD hubs have a plate that connects the drive shaft to the hub, that comes out and in goes the hub.  At the same time you can disable your ADD. I dont trust the vacuum system... To do that go in 4 WD and then disconnect and plug the vacuum line that disengages the ADD.

Matt

hacksaw [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Oct '04
  • BOOMER SOONER!
    • View Profile
I don't know much about the auto locking hubs or how any of that works.  I asumed that the axles are locked all the time right?  But, what locks the front diff in?  Is this the ADD?  What is it and what does it stand for???  Thanks  for the info.

More info is helpful on this. 

Did you see any improved fuel milage by installing manual hubs?

Shawn
Bone stock 94 Runner.  3VZE, 4x4, 5 speed.  204K miles and counting------96 Runner Limited 4x4, 3.4L Automatic, 144K miles and going strong!

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
I don't know much about the auto locking hubs or how any of that works.  I asumed that the axles are locked all the time right?  But, what locks the front diff in?  Is this the ADD?  What is it and what does it stand for???  Thanks  for the info.

More info is helpful on this. 

Did you see any improved fuel milage by installing manual hubs?

Shawn
ADD, Automatic Disconnecting Differential.
Here is a picture of the ADD setup. The actuator moves the collar in or out to disengage or engage the drive axle. With ADD you are always turning the front diff as you drive (the drivers side front drive axle is always engaged and the actuator engages the other axle in 4wd).
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2005, 01:50:01 AM by Prismo »
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
Non ADD, both front drive axles are disconnected from the diff by the locking hubs.

JackKnife

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 94
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I don't know much about the auto locking hubs or how any of that works. 

Keep in mind that you do NOT have auto locking hubs.  Auto locking hubs were used on the 2nd generation trucks. :thumbs:

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
As said above, you DO NOT have auto locking hubs, you have ADD flanges.  Yes, any IFS manual hub from 86-95 will fit your vehicle. 

What do you mean by "locking" the differential?  ADD has nothing to do with a differential locker in the common sense of the word.  There are several good write ups on yotatech that give a step by step procedure on how to swap hubs.  off-road.com has a good explanation of ADD.
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted