Author Topic: Looking 4 knowledge b4 starting my first project Jeep.  (Read 5587 times)

Topshelf

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looking 4 knowledge b4 starting my first project Jeep.
« on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:50:42 AM »
Hey everyone...I'm new to the site today!  Just finished building my shop and looking for a project.  I want a Jeep that will fit 3 of us as I have a wife and a 3yo boy.  Are there any Jeeps to stay away from?  CJ7's look about the right size...and I love the short wheel base Jeeps.  If the CJ7 makes an good off-road project...are there any specific years to stay away from?  Any words of advice from knowledgable Jeep owners would be AWESOME!  This is why I joined the site.  What are the most important things to look for when shopping for a Jeep?  My intentions for this Jeep is to end up with a V8...and build it for off road use...I'm looking for a several year project for me and my boy as he gets older.  Thanks in advance everyone...I look forward to hearing from you.   :help:

TEXXX

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 814
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling in Cool, CA
    • View Profile
what kind of wheeling do you wanna do? What about a 4runner?? more room than a jeep!
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2005, 11:30:24 AM by TEXXX »
RIP Gatekeeper you will be missed!

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Yea.. Have you though about a 4-runner.  If you wanting do do engine swaps and drive train upgrades toyoytas are great.

But if you are stuck on a Jeep thats your call and I will still support your decision. 

CJ7's are great, espescially if you want a third seat.  CJ7's have a descent wheel base compared to a CJ5-3-2 ..etc.  The shorter wheelbase rigs have a hard time on most absicals   You could also opt for a CJ-6 or 8.  They have longer wheel bases and would support  V8's  better as far as length with the trany and tcase and drive lines.  Things to stay away from, front dana 30 axle, it is garbage.   A dana 44 or 60 up front would be the way to go.  The rear end's were mostly 44's and AMC 20's  both are/can be good axles, the AMC 20  is a boat anker though ( its huge).         

There is definatly alot more to it than what I have stated so look around talk to people and who knows maybe you will go with a 4-runner.  Toyota's are tough sh1t.  Lets just say you will have to try and kill one.

Keep reading forums and it will become clear to you what you want.   :thumbs:

Topshelf [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks guys....that helps!

chevyguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -28
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
it really depends on what you are doing with it, I built a cj5 with a chevy v8 and I go everywhere I want to go. I dont really crawl with it, but it would be O.K. for the mods I have done, Not anywhere near a full on crawler though. i do alot of trail riding and sand dunes and it is good to go. I have just purchased a wrangler for my next project, But I have some crazy plans for it. I like the jeeps for the open air and the solid axles. just my opinion. I have a back seat and a full roll cage .I does fine for me and my  kids to go play in. Whare are you located?
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2005, 09:31:40 AM by chevyguy »

78heep

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -63
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i am in the process of building my 1978 jeep its a cj5 so the wheel base is a lil bit shorter than a cj7 but its fine for me! i am 6'1 and i can sit in the back seat with pleanty of room! but i am only 16 so its not luxary vehicle but it gets the job done it has the orgionil motor that i just rebuilt i put a new trany in it and it runs great and goes places in 2wd my buddies chevy on 38s wouldnt go and its stock on 33s! i would say get a cj7 just bes it has the extra room! for the wife and kid!
if you can read this flip me back over!!

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
it really depends on what you are doing with it, I built a cj5 with a chevy v8 and I go everywhere I want to go. I dont really crawl with it, but it would be O.K. for the mods I have done, Not anywhere near a full on crawler though. i do alot of trail riding and sand dunes and it is good to go. I have just purchased a wrangler for my next project, But I have some crazy plans for it. I like the jeeps for the open air and the solid axles. just my opinion. I have a back seat and a full roll cage .I dorks fine for me and my  kids to go play in. Whare are you located?
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

chevyguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i fixed it, i am not very good with all this computer stuff.  It makes sense now.

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Fikseman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -115
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yj's aren't a bad choice either. the option of the fuel Injected 4.0 which is a reliable power plant, and its fuel injected, and has enough power to get ya by until you get the bigger tire itch and bigger axles
you should think about replacing those axles....specially the DANA 35...in fact i would insist thats the first thing to go.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24854 has a lot of good info on the 8.8 rear swap(what i have now), reliable and cheap if you look around(most of the time)

throw a reverse pinion 44 up front, that should hold ya over till the 44inch tall tire bite gets ya, and then you can sell the axles ceap to me   ;)

the 4.0 can get more power for pretty cheap. http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/stroker40/page2.asp theres a cheap way to stroke it. might be a cheaper alternative or at least work till the engine dies.

suspension wise, thats all about how much you want to spend. you can go coils and never look back(nor at the bank), or you can go with a properly setup SOA(spring over axle) and get a healthy amount of flex, just remember that will cause axle wrap issues, and you need eliminate that. a traction bar will limit the flex somewhat, but with no more axle wrap, is worth it.

Wheelbase wise, if you go coils, stretch it to 100"+, same with SOA, to get more stability.

Steering, I have a homebuilt setup from the guy I bought it from, hasn't let me down, just research this and you can most likely find writeups on it. believe 4x4wire.com has info on a lot of this and much more.

transmission, lots of ppl go with the nv4500. believe its a dodge tranny thats pretty strong and a decent choice. Advanced Adapters has them with the necessary adapters to make it work with the 4.0 and tcase you have.

T-case, lots of options. nv321s are common. I'm leaving mine alone(nv231) until i get really seriously into crawling, then im going with a dana300. advanced adapters has their atlas 2 cases, very strong/bombproof. expensive route, the dana300 is a good route, many good writeups laying around sites to get you started in the right direction. if you want to spend big big money, wait for advanced adpaters to release the new 4 speed atlas, at about 3 grand its costly,  :drool:  . or the new stak 3 case, also pricey...but really cool

strengthen your roll cage! the stock cages.....i call them crush cages, cuz they suck. if you are going to be pushing it(running tougher trails), make a stronger one. can't do that? find someone who can/will. can't do that? call poison spyder customs, they have a pre-bent cage(pricey) but it will keep your family safe!  :thumbs:

so before i go, heres a few questions:
budget, how much are we looking at, ball park figure. otherwise we just make it run on hopes and dreams, which doesn't run very well... :laugh:
type of use? trails, mud, crawling, everything?
daily driver or trailer queen, or is it a drive to the trail and back while beating the stuffing out of it in between? i would suggest different axles for different requirements.

welcome to the board, hope i covered most of it, dunno tho, its late here and im tired, who knows, maybe im just talking gibberish

chevyguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
According to this forum motor shouldnt be an issue. Alot of people here run small 4 cylinders in toyotas and the 4.0 is twice the cubic inches as the little toyota 22r. The fuel injected 4.o is a great choice for wheelin, great torque and horsepower.Axles I agree with though. None of the factory toyota or jeep axles will hold up to severe wheeling. If your building a play rig for trails and such they will be fine, but if really hard wheelin is in your furure look for bigger axles.

chevyguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
what kind of wheeling do you wanna do? What about a 4runner?? more room than a jeep!

alot less horsepower and torque though. Need to really gear it down, or install a bigger motor. And consider the cool point of having a jeep.

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
Don't rule out the full bodied jeeps, much more comfy and still very capable.. (XJ's and ZJ's)
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
alot less horsepower and torque though. Need to really gear it down, or install a bigger motor. And consider the cool point of having a jeep.

Gearing down isn't that bad though, although since you are planning on a v-8, it seems like the engine choice is a moot point?  One thing I have noticed though, not that I've researched it, but out here in cali, toys run a lot cheaper than jeeps of the same age.  I think a lot of people like the looks of the jeeps, and its california, its all about cruisin with the top off :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent