Author Topic: Engine temp prob on freeway??  (Read 2711 times)

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Engine temp prob on freeway??
« on: Nov 14, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »
damn its been ages since i have posted but here it goes.... i replaced my radiater, thermistat..''fancy 25 dollar one from yota'' and all was good... i am not loosing any coolant. no sweet smell from the exhaust, 185 compression.... but when im cruising on the freeway the needle gets about 3/4 of the way up and then it will drop down really slow.... when going at slower speeds 35/45 mph the needle is about 1/4 of the way up.... i used some cheap coolant.. cheapest stuff i could buy, i drive on average 200 miles a day  and 95% freeway driving so let me know whats up!!?? thanx  :wave:  :beerchug: by the way before my last radiater went bad it always ran at about 1/4 of the way... street driving and freeway driving!!
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: Engine temp prob on freeway??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2005, 03:30:53 PM »
Did you buy a 2 core rad 3 core rad? Do you have a rad shroud in place? Clutch fan have any clutch Left? Water pump working ?
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2005, 03:38:28 PM »
Not that this is any advise but, when I swaped motors in my 86 runner I put in a 92 22re useing the 86 radiator.   With the engine cold after I would start it;  it did the same thing all the time,  the needle would rise all the way to the bottom of the red in about 5-min and then slowly droped down to normal around 1/4. 

I never trouble shooted it just drove the piss out of it with no problems.  Hopfully you have more patience than me. :thumbs:   Good luck.

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2005, 03:40:10 PM »
Did you buy a 2 core rad 3 core rad? Do you have a rad shroud in place? Clutch fan have any clutch Left? Water pump working ?

Ditto, and also could be overcooling - ie the thermostat isn't a high enough temp one.  If the coolant is flowing too fast it doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to be adequately cooled.  This would most often happen at higher rpms.

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2005, 03:47:39 PM »
I'd check the common problems first man. Did you run the motor with the radiator cap off for a bit to clear any air bubbles? What temp thermostat did you install? ...190...210 ? Even though you got the thermostat from toyota, it still could be one of the many that are sticky. Good luck

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »
you said you are using the cheapest coolant possible?  Maybe the coolant properties are not up to par.  Is it mixed properly? did you check it with a coolant tester? I know its expensive but I only use the red Toyota fluid.....my  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2005, 05:36:36 PM »
hmmm... the only shroud/cover type thing is on the bottom.. it is a 2wd!! the kinda v shaped thing.. ya know?? dont know how many core radiater it is... got it from a guy with a company named yodaman and hes kinda like marlin but doesnt make products so i figured it would be the right one. he is also the one who i got the thermostat from.. i dont know what temp one it is.... just assuming its the right one because of who i bought it from... no i did not run it with the radiater cap off for a bit but will try it in a few mins... well ill check all that stuff and report back.. thanx guys!! :wave:  :beerchug:

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:07:54 AM »
hmmm... the only shroud/cover type thing is on the bottom.. it is a 2wd!! the kinda v shaped thing.. ya know?? dont know how many core radiater it is... got it from a guy with a company named yodaman and hes kinda like marlin but doesnt make products so i figured it would be the right one. he is also the one who i got the thermostat from.. i dont know what temp one it is.... just assuming its the right one because of who i bought it from... no i did not run it with the radiater cap off for a bit but will try it in a few mins... well ill check all that stuff and report back.. thanx guys!! :wave:  :beerchug:

Ok, I'm almost positive that you probably have air in the system.  Run it with the cap off until you can see that the coolant is flowing really good and you can feel hot air coming off the fan.  If it is full then, then it is full.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2005, 10:20:52 AM »
hmmm... the only shroud/cover type thing is on the bottom.. it is a 2wd!! the kinda v shaped thing.. ya know?? dont know how many core radiater it is... got it from a guy with a company named yodaman and hes kinda like marlin but doesnt make products so i figured it would be the right one. he is also the one who i got the thermostat from.. i dont know what temp one it is.... just assuming its the right one because of who i bought it from... no i did not run it with the radiater cap off for a bit but will try it in a few mins... well ill check all that stuff and report back.. thanx guys!! :wave: :beerchug:
get a full shroud installed,  pull the thermostat, put it in a pan of water on the kitchen stove and use a cooking thermometer to see when  and IF  it actually opens

then run it without the thermostat  to see if you have all the air out of the pump

also do you have a quality hose on the bottom, a cheap hose can actually collapse due to the sucking of the water pump at high rpms
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2005, 06:45:16 PM »
i dont know what hoses i have.. i think there original?? dunno... put about 200 and somthin miles on today and took a diffrent rout home 50 mph the way home and it was at 1/4 the way up then... and when goin to my job sites i was cruisin at 70-80 and it went up 3/4 of the way up... but ill run it tonite without the cap and see what happens.... was curious why would it go up to 3/4 of the way up going 20 mph more?? the more rpms ect... but.... thanx guys :wave:  :beerchug: