Author Topic: WHY ARE JEEPS BETTER THAN TOYOTAS  (Read 22007 times)

toy87

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -408
  • Male Posts: 175
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: WHY ARE JEEPS BETTER THAN TOYOTAS
« Reply #60 on: Nov 12, 2005, 09:41:51 PM »
I hope I don't stir up to much :pokinit: but my buddy tried to follow my 87 4runner and my other buddies 86 pick up and... Well it ended with me towing the jeep to a tow truck to get it home. The next day, today, we discovered he exploded the spiders in the rear of the jeep. He got a good hazing and will continue to get it as long as he drives and wheels a jeep.
EVIL TURTLES LOVE ME

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
« Reply #61 on: Nov 13, 2005, 08:04:24 PM »
I hope I don't stir up to much :pokinit: but my buddy tried to follow my 87 4runner and my other buddies 86 pick up and... Well it ended with me towing the jeep to a tow truck to get it home. The next day, today, we discovered he exploded the spiders in the rear of the jeep. He got a good hazing and will continue to get it as long as he drives and wheels a jeep.
:ha_ha:  :haha:  That pretty much sums it up.
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

dj

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 519
  • Member since Apr '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:36:00 AM »
I'm not gonna lie I have had jeeps drag my toyota to the trailer on more than one occasion, but I've also had to drag several jeeps this isn't really important but I have had experience with all 4wds (even subarus) and it has made me hard core yota.
Toyota + Chevrolet = Toylet
82 toylet
400hp of birfield destructing fun

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #63 on: Nov 14, 2005, 04:11:46 PM »
Hey Whiteman I dont supose you have any idea where all those HP E-lockers came from do ya? ;) fj-80's were available with lockers front and rear in the 90's.

furrballs, the ax-15 was used starting in 89 I believe and used till about 99 when they switched over to using a NVG-3500/3550 The AW-4 was used from the begining of the yj (87) till about 99 also when they replaced it with the tf999

WHITE_TRASH  :greengrin:   I knew that. :gap:      :rofl2:

Well I really didnt but I learned somthing new.  Thanks for correcting me  :thumbs:

Mac5005

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 307
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Black Listed
    • View Profile
    • NC4x4
« Reply #64 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:56:21 PM »
white trash, the tf999 was used in the wranglers until 96 when replaced by the aw4...however, they had been using the aw4's in cherokees since at least around 91... and the tf999 in the wrangler is a 3 spd coulumn shift, while the aw4 is a 3spd w/ overdrive, however the tf999 is an updated version of the tf727, in which many parts are interchangeable such as the clutches, and gear sets, and valvebody... all the tf 999 is a tf727 with different gear ratios, and updated asbestos free clutch materials
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2005, 10:11:30 PM by FordFreakChik »
YJ - 4.7L-Ax15-D300(4:1)-D60/14B, lockright/spool 5.38's, 108" WB, 42" SX-2's

Mac5005

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Black Listed
    • View Profile
    • NC4x4
« Reply #65 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:58:59 PM »
And by the way.....just for shits and giggles, my yj was assembled in detroit, and shipped to NC for dealer request, and has remained titled in NC since.....

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Nov 14, 2005, 10:37:07 PM »
yj, xj whatever.  one has a frame the other doesnt.  :gap: 

Thanks for the correction Mac, but I thought the 999 was an updater 904? 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Nov 15, 2005, 04:08:23 AM »
white trash, the tf999 was used in the wranglers until 96 when replaced by the aw4...however, they had been using the aw4's in cherokees since at least around 91... and the tf999 in the wrangler is a 3 spd coulumn shift, while the aw4 is a 3spd w/ overdrive, however the tf999 is an updated version of the tf727, in which many parts are interchangeable such as the clutches, and gear sets, and valvebody... all the tf 999 is a tf727 with different gear ratios, and updated asbestos free clutch materials

This is what these threads are for!   TECH!  What are the hard numbers behind these machines not your "personal feelings"  Yes we can all creep up the same trail in perfect harmony together in different wheels, but lets get back on subject. Yes a Jeep can Tow a Yota, and vise versa,  but what is the nickel content of the engine block? Open vs Boxed frame???
Galvanized steel? Engineering cues that are specifically Jeep/Toyota. Full floating axles??  Whats strength rating of the u-joints? Stock frame heights? Axle shaft diameters?
Quality of welds, parts interchangeability, simplicity of design etc etc......

Lets refrian from "Chickening out" when there are things to discuss for fear of offending what someone drives. Thats what these boards were created for, discussion! 
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Nov 15, 2005, 07:00:35 AM »
:rofl2: Is that all you have? You forgot about junk axles, wheel base to short and no inside room. I think the only good thing about jeep is the Dana 300 t case.
  Now now yoda, lets not forget there are great advantages to that short wheelbase.. They are easy to drop into holes so other REAL trucks drive over them.  :yesnod:

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Nov 15, 2005, 07:47:53 AM »
well since we are going to stick with the tech side of this thread, wat do you guys think in better a boxed frame or open or a uni body
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:00:02 AM »
Jeeps Toyotas! Toyota Jeeps! No matter what your opinion I think we can all agree on this...

True true, never though about the "hydraulics" question. :headscratch:  :rofl2:

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:04:58 AM »

:rivers: It's not my fault they put that under my Heep. I mean Jeep                                                                                               amen MrsW   :rofl2: lowriders=fatchicks but they don't have the suspension to handle them

looking at that from the other side, with the winchs, long travel suspension, and heavy coils, 4X4's are made to carry Phat chicks.. :crazy:

Mac5005

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Black Listed
    • View Profile
    • NC4x4
« Reply #72 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:20:10 AM »
boxed frame.....either way...definitely not unibody

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:26:30 AM »
boxed frame.....either way...definitely not unibody

definitaly agree with you on that one i would just like to see everyone elses view points
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:30:06 AM »
wat about engines mac i think that a inline six stroker is the way to go in my book if only they could put them into a toyota :thumbs:

Mac5005

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Black Listed
    • View Profile
    • NC4x4
« Reply #75 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:33:18 AM »
well i need to check into what whitetrash said that the ax15 is the same as the r150f, and if that is the case, you may be able to take your 5 spd tot tranny, use a jeep 4.0 bellhousing, and swap in the 4.0.....just need to do some research...b/c if that was the case, it would definitely be an awesome swap, while keeping the toy tranny, tcase, and axles

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:16:58 PM »
 :help: does anyone have and info on putting a 4.0 or a 4.7 strocker in a toyota :dunno:  if you do please fill me in :_order:

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:35:01 PM »
well since we are going to stick with the tech side of this thread, wat do you guys think in better a boxed frame or open or a uni body

I would say boxed, but it all depends how hard she hits..

dj

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 519
  • Member since Apr '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Nov 16, 2005, 10:46:08 AM »
well i need to check into what whitetrash said that the ax15 is the same as the r150f, and if that is the case, you may be able to take your 5 spd tot tranny, use a jeep 4.0 bellhousing, and swap in the 4.0.....just need to do some research...b/c if that was the case, it would definitely be an awesome swap, while keeping the toy tranny, tcase, and axles

the spline count is different on the input shaft, you might just be able to use the yota clutch disc with the jeep pressure plate if you wanted to swap a jeep engine. IMO I would rather run the yota 5vz-fe (3.4) it has more power and can easily be superccharged.
Toyota + Chevrolet = Toylet
82 toylet
400hp of birfield destructing fun

Mac5005

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Black Listed
    • View Profile
    • NC4x4
« Reply #79 on: Nov 16, 2005, 11:41:33 AM »
the 3.4 does not have more power......they are harder to find in good running condition....are more expensive to buy and work on....the only major performance upgrade is to drop 3 grand on the supercharger.......however the 4.0 has same hp, but more torque.....easier to find....cheaper to buy in working order, and cheaper to upgrade and work on.....easily stroked to 4.7L,  there are tons of more performance parts....and then after that there still is the option of supercharging........but anyways......i think hes gonna run the stock 4.0 for a whille with the jeep clutch bellhousing and tranny, use the r150f tailhousing, and toy tcase, solid axle the front and throw some 5" springs out back......then later on stroke it, gear drive tcase with 4.7 low range........and after all hell have enough power for anything, and if he needs more its easily obtained.....enough gear for crawling, and enough dependability to blast through any mud, up any hillclimbs, jump the dunes, and still drive home w/o having to worry about a friggin head gasket like with the 3.0......either way theres a lot of  :flamer:  :_order:  and  :beerchug:  to come so itll be awesome

chevyguy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -28
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Nov 16, 2005, 03:42:07 PM »
Oh really?! So I guess the toyota tag between my bed and cab on my 81 saying it was made in a plant in california is a lie? Boy does my truck feel stupid now, you've obviously proven your point, jack! If you don't like how people are posting in the jeep section report it to the moderators, don't start petty childish threads like this, but if you can't conduct yourself in a mature fashion then you should hit the bricks, THIS IS NOT PIRATE!!! If you act like a respectful adult people will treat you as such, if you come across as a pompous jack ass then don't pregnant dog when you're ridden hard and put away wet...........CHUMP.

Oh yea, does your jeep have 506,000 miles on most of the stock drivetrain, and 350,000 miles on an engine that has rusted solid twice, and doesn't yet smoke? Hm, too bad, my toyota does...........

Assembled in cali, yes. And yes you should feel stupid .Dude get over yourself.Your ramblings dont make alot of sense. As for the chump, Why do you have to act 5 and start name callin. Says something about you. i understand,Always gotts be those people. dude just go whine  to your your momma , your little stuff dont matter to me.  I know what I am talking about. Sounds like MOST of the people are just into wheelin, I dig that, Just stop bashin JEEP and I will stop bashing yotas.And we can get back to talking about wheeling
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2005, 03:46:47 PM by chevyguy »

Mac5005

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Black Listed
    • View Profile
    • NC4x4
« Reply #81 on: Nov 16, 2005, 08:49:21 PM »
its just my  :twocents:  but i think if u dont like jeeps, then dont even bring it up, if you dont like toyotas, dont bring it up....its jsut the fact, dont throw stones if u live in a glass house, just keep your mouth shut.....and lets keep the tech articles up and running...b/c that is what makes these internet sites awesome.....the ability to post a question or an idea, and get responses from tons of people....that is the true value of this forum....

To DJ - - >
           The 3.4 is also a very viable swap, i didnt mean to sound like i thought you were wrong, or that i was thrashing you in anyway...i was jsut posting my two cents again....but def keep the ideas coming, and correct me if i am wrong, but i thought that a 3.4 motor would not bolt up to the 3.0 tranny, even though thew are both r150f's?.....

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Nov 16, 2005, 09:23:16 PM »
To DJ - - >
           The 3.4 is also a very viable swap, i didnt mean to sound like i thought you were wrong, or that i was thrashing you in anyway...i was jsut posting my two cents again....but def keep the ideas coming, and correct me if i am wrong, but i thought that a 3.4 motor would not bolt up to the 3.0 tranny, even though thew are both r150f's?.....

there is an article on this very 3VZ-E engine swap options, in the months addtion of 4WD Toyota owers mag..  Why not go for the full effect. Drop in a 1UZ-FE. It's the small V-8 and can be found in many( many means lots more then I can count with all my fingers and toes  :hammer: )Lexus LS400 sitting around the juck yards.  There is also the 7M-GE( 200HP) or the 7M-GTE( 230HP W/ turbo), another is the 2JZ-GE or 2JZ-GTE (220HP) and (320HP w/ turbo) . The two turbocharged supra engine( 7M-GTE/2JZ-GTE) can turn out 600+HP and 1000+HP. That will not only get ya through the mud, but it'll make a few of the tuner crowd sweat when treated to an unwelcome suprise at the light.. :burnout:    :o .  A four wheel smoke show and a good 1/4 mile time, sounds worth at least a nod from the street crowd.. :clap2:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Nov 16, 2005, 09:56:10 PM »
Hit up reklund5, I think he has a pretty pumped supra. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Nov 17, 2005, 02:06:58 AM »
I wonder what the 1UZ-FE is able to bolt up to. Most of us would rather keep a manual trans, but sounds like an interesting idea, I know over in England they like to turbocharge those things, and man do they scoot!
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:32:12 PM »
I wonder what the 1UZ-FE is able to bolt up to. Most of us would rather keep a manual trans, but sounds like an interesting idea, I know over in England they like to turbocharge those things, and man do they scoot!

They come with an auto, so you have to get a custom bell housing and a stand alone ECU. If you use an auto behind it you and to use some parts from the lexus transmission, and the auto that bolts to the 5VZ-FE. Plus ya have to make up a wiring harness.  Hope that helps.

Hey how about a diesel.. anyone for a 1KZ-TE.. Real torquey  and only $4995 from jarco( yep she's and import only for you U.S.A. types.) but if you have a second gen 4Runner, it'll drop stright in and bolt to the tranny as it's an option for all 4Runner world wide. Just not the us. I think I should check to see it's available in canada..Sure would be nice in a tundra. :thumbs:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Nov 18, 2005, 08:06:26 PM »
Oh yea, I've checked those toyota diesels out, and jarco.  If you go with an automatic you can get a half cut for about $3600 or so, 5 speed is about $5000.  I'd gladly do it if I had the green, but when I gets it I spends it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

speedemon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Nov '05
  • When's winter?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Dec 04, 2005, 05:13:14 PM »
I really don't care but my dad has been a mechanic for many years and 90% of the time when he came home pissed off he was ranting about heeps and mitsubitchis.  I really don't care cause i'll wheel with anyone, but i personally would get disowned if i ever showed up in a jeep.  like many people have said a well built rig is a well built rig.  period.
i will drive a yota till they go out of business.
2002 Tacoma sold
'84 pickup SOLD!!
'83 pickup will rise again
'86 sas runner DD
'89 runner project (for sale)
F-Toy build in progress

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Dec 04, 2005, 05:35:13 PM »
I have owned both.....I inherited a 93 XJ with 40,000 mi that I pushed more than I drove.  When it did run tho, it was fast as crap (4.0 Litre).  It is true, most toys are underpowered, including mine. But that's what low range and gears are for. Now I have a 93 toy, with 280,000 mi that runs like a champ.  I did like the solid axle on the XJ.  But the trade off for reliability is not worth it.  I just do not trust American made trucks.  Call me a Jap-lovin traitor or what you will.  The number of miles toyotas consistently rack up speaks volumes.  As said before a few times in this thread....it seems like the people breaking down are the ones not doing preventative maintenance, or they're just idiots...does'nt seem to matter what they're driving.  As far as capability, they both are very capable in their own rights. my  :twocents:    time to move on
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco