Author Topic: Frame bracing  (Read 2729 times)

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
Frame bracing
« on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:52:09 PM »
I want to put in a storage box under my bed in the location of the spare tire carrier, cept there is a pretty beefy crossmember there which is also the last one towards the rear of the frame. I'd like to be able to access this box through the bed and would require cutting this x-member out. What could I do to the frame to make this work? I was thinking boxing the frame and also put in new smaller x-members around the box. What do you all think?
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

trevinotrek

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 236
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Frame bracing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2005, 09:55:32 PM »
This will work have seen a couple they were able to hold like 4-5 small ammo cans. They can also be set up for deul batteries. They were a simple drop in box using the piece of floor for the cover with a piano hinge. brace oth sides (ffront and rear).
aint skeerd " watch this" ok so maby it was a littlte to bigto get over .Stop laughing and turn me over

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2005, 01:01:13 AM »
just cut that x-member out and run a 2x4 piece of rectangle tube between the framerails at the very back.  that'll be like replacing that xmember just further back.  then that should give you enough room, and thats a pretty sweet idea.  when u do it, post pics
in the projects nooga, anything goes

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:09:36 PM »
Sounds like a plan. I will eventually build a beefy ass rear bumper so that should support the rear and then I'll just brace around the stoarge box. Should be good.

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:12:44 PM »
Ive cut out all the crossmember exept for the very front one on my current truck.  Not a big deal, just put the new one inplace before you cut out the old to be sure that the frame is stiff.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:23:52 PM »
just cut that x-member out and run a 2x4 piece of rectangle tube between the framerails at the very back.  that'll be like replacing that xmember just further back.  then that should give you enough room, and thats a pretty sweet idea.  when u do it, post pics

thats what I was gonna say. And then you've got a good point to attach some D shackles for pullin' out them jeeps as well.   I've been wanting to do that as well, jsut havent yet :down:  post up pics when you do :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:32:30 PM »
A 2x3 piece of metal will fit snuggly inside the frame rails.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:35:02 PM »
another pic of it finished

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:17:27 AM »
And by chance I have some 2x3 left over from my sliders :down: I doubt enough to fit in between the frame rails though. I'll have to measure and find out. Thanks Hyena

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:48:31 AM »
Yep, that's the way i'd do it..... :thumbs:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2005, 02:00:11 PM »
I want to put in a storage box under my bed in the location of the spare tire carrier, cept there is a pretty beefy crossmember there which is also the last one towards the rear of the frame. I'd like to be able to access this box through the bed and would require cutting this x-member out. What could I do to the frame to make this work? I was thinking boxing the frame and also put in new smaller x-members around the box. What do you all think?

One thing I have thought of, it would be a PITA to have the lid of the box in the bed, especially when you're wheeling and have a lot of stuff in the bed.  You'd have to take all your crap out to get to the box.  Of course, if you have the box less stuff in the bed :dunno: 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2005, 02:58:56 PM »
I had the same delema. I only put parts and supplies that I usually don't have to get to very often.
I keep spare parts, gear oil, antifreeze, drop light, carb cleaner, etc. Mostly things I don't usually have to use, but if I need them, i'm probably going to be there awhile anyway.
I even thought about building a swing down hinge system so I didn't have to access it form inside, but decided that there are way too many times that you do break, in some odd ball spot where it wouldn't have enough room to swing down.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:56:15 PM »
I was tryin to think of something, some kind of drawer that could slide out, but that wouldnt work either.  I've pretty much decided the same thing fireball, put the stuff in that you dont need often. 

-Ronald Reagan

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2005, 11:04:53 PM »
Im definatly going to do something like this. Fireball did you make your box or did you buy it? I wouldnt have a problem building it but it would sure be a lot less hassle to just buy one. I'm thinking about taking another welding class at the local Community college just so I can work on some projects for my truck :yupyup: Hey no one else has oxy, arc, mig, tig, plasma, and torches all at an arms reach. I need to wait to do this project though because I am going to bob my bed a few inches. Just a tad too long right now and its a pain to have to worry about dropping my ass on a ledge and tearing stuff up. The project list is growing!

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2005, 10:03:15 AM »
A buddy of mine is a commercial welder for a plumbing company, he had a guy in the fab shop bend it up for me.
I wish I had the equipment to bend this kind of stuff up.
You might be able to find some kind of box at a surplus store and get it to work with a few mods.

over_rev

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 370
  • Member since Feb '03
  • No Assistance Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2005, 04:29:47 PM »
Since I cant afford a break,I went to Bell Products,Here in Napa.I had them bend up 18 Guage and I welded it. cost 140.00,Ive also seen a few people run boxes modified to fit.

Pak It In Pack It Out!!

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:07:57 PM »
:thumbs: If I get the steel and mark it where it needs to be cut/bent I can give it to my ol man and he will take it to work where they have a break. Hey Tony do you have any decent pictures of your rear bumper? I want to start drawing up some plan for a rear and I want to work off of yours. With the long WB I need something to take a bashing and you sure beat that thing at the roundup. That was fun.