Author Topic: 1994 Build  (Read 3317 times)

Project94

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 127
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Sep '05
  • I NEED duals
    • View Profile
1994 Build
« on: Sep 19, 2005, 04:36:18 PM »
I traded my 2000 Jeep cherokee to my brother at the beginning of the summer for his 1994 Toyota Truck.  Everyone thought I was crazy, and that I got the raw end of that deal.  It worked out great b/c we both got what we wanted.  He got something bigger that his new wife can get into (it had 3 1/2" and 33s), and I got a play toy.  I went wheelin with a couple of my buddies and decided the IFS had to go.  So, I sold my streetbike and have Marlin a call.  Once I got found my new axle, I rebuilt it locked it and put 5.29s front and rear, and locked the rear as well.  Then I was ready to do my swap.  But, I didn't have any time.  Story of my life.  I don't have a welder anything like that so I've had to rely on other for help through this whole process.  As luck would have it, I have some great roommates at college that have helped me out tremendously.  And one, Nathan, is an excelent welder.  He's built a custom 4-link for his Taco, that turned out sick.  He's in the process of swapping a D44 under his Taco as we type.  But being down at school, 2 hrs from home and hoping to complete the project in 1 weekend. I got a local welding shop to weld up the new front and rear hangers, and drill the holes in the frame and weld in the tubes for the shackels.  The ease of it and the time it saves I think was well worth it.

then, I got it home Thursday night, but it was late and I was tired so I didn't get much done.  Up on jack stands and the wheels off is pretty much all.
My goal for friday was to get rid of the IFS.

Mission accomplished.

Now, I left the brackets in there other than trimming one. I don't have a plasma or torch or anything and the guy that was comming over to cut it off backed out on me.  So rather than stopping there I figured I'd go ahead and bolt everthing up and ride with Nate back to school.  That'll give me a week to get back in contact with that guy, or find someone else (probably the later), then i'll grind away and smooth it out, so wel can weld the shock hoops on.

then I rolled it out of the garage with the 33s, jacked it up again and put the 35s under the front.  It wouldn't have made it out of the garage with the 35s. 

then nate came over and we started worknig on the rear.

with the 35s on the rear.

the next day in the daylight.

I got a much better approach angle now.

1994 Toyota: SAS, 5.29s, LONGS, Lockrights fr/rr, 5" of lift, 35" MTRs, 20lb CO2, Homemade Front/Rear Bumpers, Lots of dents and scrapes, but Marlin himself signed my truck.

red90runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1994 Build
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2005, 04:39:56 PM »
sweet job. It turned out really nice. What springs did you decide to use. Can ww see some better pics of it in the sun. Thanks alot
-Pat

Project94 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • I NEED duals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2005, 06:15:58 PM »
well, it's the marlin 5 inch in the front and 4 inch in the back.  They sent me the wrong ones for the rear and I realized it to late. :smack:   I'm not gonna take them off and ship them back.  I got on the phone with Dave from Marlin (great guy) and just got him to send me some of those spacers they use in the front to even out unevenly sagging springs.  I'll just weld those to the top of the spring perch and call it a day.  Pics i do have.............

1994 Toyota: SAS, 5.29s, LONGS, Lockrights fr/rr, 5" of lift, 35" MTRs, 20lb CO2, Homemade Front/Rear Bumpers, Lots of dents and scrapes, but Marlin himself signed my truck.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2005, 04:02:13 AM »
looks killer..your friends will only talk crap about the trade till you out wheel there jeeps.. :turtle:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Project94 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • I NEED duals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2005, 04:59:40 PM »
Shoot, it did that when it was still IFS :cool:

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2005, 12:32:03 AM »
mmmmmm perty!! i like alot... wuts up with those u bolts on the rear? are they not tightend down er what? there kinda crookid? :wave:  :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

Project94 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • I NEED duals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2005, 01:37:53 PM »
mmmmmm perty!! i like alot... wuts up with those u bolts on the rear? are they not tightend down er what? there kinda crookid? :wave: :beerchug:
yeah, the stock spring perches are wider than the U-bolt plate so it kinda gives one side a slant.  That will be fixed this weekend when I rotate and weld on Marlin's perches.