Author Topic: Low power,bad mileage?  (Read 3075 times)

Jimbob

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Let the rough end drag!
    • View Profile
Low power,bad mileage?
« on: Sep 17, 2005, 10:33:11 PM »
84 Yotie 22r 5spd,stock with 31s. Top speed is 70mph on the mat and no more. It got only 15mpg on a trip down the interstate,so probably gets a little worse around town. When you really get on it,it don't seem to have tons of power but don't surge or anything like that. Drove a truck very similar to it,little lift with 33s,everything else stock and it would bark the tires when speed shifting it and felt like it actually had some balls. So a truck with a lift and 2" taller,and 3" wider tires would smoke the other one :slap:  What could be causing this? Also what kind of fuel mileage would you be looking at getting in a stock Xtra cab '84 Yotie with 31s? Thanks for any help! :therethere:

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Low power,bad mileage?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2005, 11:41:51 PM »
That sounds like my problem, no power and crappy mileage. How many miles are on it? Mine has like 260,000, and it burns a lot of oil so I think my problem is it's just worn out and old. I'm runnin' 36's with 5.29's and I'm lucky to hit 60 on a flat road and forget about inclines!!!   My freind is runnin' 39.5's and 5.29's and he can smoke me, he has a rebuilt 22re with a cam and header. So if it doesn't have alot of miles I'd say check your timing and plugs and such. I've messed with mine alot and nothing seems to help. Thankfully the only time I really drive it is when we are going wheelling.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2005, 09:15:24 AM »
jimbob,  if it has 200,000+ miles you need a rebuild, have it bored oversized and run a performance cam,  dont waste your money on a "rv cam"  some new rod and main bearings have the valves reseated,  and your carb checked,  or rebuilt  and you'll be running down the interstate passing everybody

look at my specs in my signature,  i've broken my speedo cable twice because it only goes to 80mph in my 79,  but i am running a 20/22R hybrid with full race cam and weber carb
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Jimbob [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Let the rough end drag!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2005, 01:34:02 PM »
From what I understand the truck has 179k(somewhere close to that) but the motor has either been rebuilt or had a lot of work done to it. It looks clean as a dang pin under the hood,the front of the motor has definately had some work because you can see some RTV seal that squeezed out a few places. Might just need a real good tune-up and timing checked. Haven't looked at the carb though. I'm looking at this truck,my buddy owns it and about got him talked into selling it to me :clap2:  :clap2:  It runs like a champ out on the road but 70 is all she'll push,cept downhill with a tail wind :ha_ha:

What kind of mileage should the truck be pushing saying with somewhat newer motor work and just been basicly took care of and pretty much stock. Looking into starting to college and would love to have this truck to drive back and forth and me and another buddy split the gas bill. Maybe a little suspension work and some 33s would come around after I got any bugs worked out :shhh:

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2005, 10:29:47 PM »
hey i think as coyotefrg said rebuilding your carb would help a good amount with power also heres a link to other peoples gas mileage so you can compare yours to theirs. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2682.0

fellowsped

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Jun '05
  • sh*t or get off the pot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2005, 08:13:03 AM »
basically if you think the motor has had a rebuild start checking things like plug, plugwires, coil, airfilture, and things like that. also check your carb it just might need to be rebuilt. try running a little carb cleaner through it or something if you can' afford to rebuild it right now.
remember no matter how bad life gets there's always beer.

money is for rich people

85 toyota p/u, lincoln locker rear, debating on lincoln locker front, 22r desmoged, 31 bfg a/t (worn out but came with truck), the plan; 35 super swamper boggers, duel t-cases, buggy leafs, crossover steering, internal roolcage, rocker bars, a winch, and a few other little things.

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2005, 08:09:03 PM »
ive got a similar problem but :pokinit: ive got 380k on mine. i put some new plugs/wires and it made a little difference in 2nd gear. im gonna swap engines soon and roast the hell out of the tires!
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)