Author Topic: bad overheating problems!  (Read 3419 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
bad overheating problems!
« on: Sep 12, 2005, 09:17:07 PM »
Ive got an 86 runner with the 22-rte(turbo) motor in it with an auto tranny, sas, 5.29s and 33s.  Going down the highway the truck is fine, but as soon as i get onto the county road and slow down to below 25 it starts to heat up and wont cool back down.  So tonight when i got home i pulled it onto the slab and shut it off and the thing was boiling over badly, not to mention the exhaust manifold was glowing... im wondering if these two things could be linked by a possible timing issue?  How can i test my radiator to see if it is working at 100%.  If the radiator is still good, what other things can i try to get the temperature down at low speeds?  I have already installed a lower temp thermostat, but that realy doesnt help at all, all that does is make it take longer to heat up in the morning.
Thanks,
Andy
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: bad overheating problems!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2005, 09:26:43 PM »
Sounds like maybe your clutch fan isn't working. At speed the air is moving through on it's own, but slower the fan isn't pulling it through.
If it's the radiator, sometimes when it's warm you can feel around on the radiator and find cool spots. It should be pretty much the same temp everywhere.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2005, 09:31:27 PM »
that sounds somewhat likely.. it doesnt explain the glowing manifold but... How would i check to see if the fan clutch is functioning properly?

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2005, 03:19:34 PM »
I've heard that having your timing too far advanced (I think) can cause your exhaust manifold to glow hot. Something about unburnt fuel making it's way into the exhaust. That would be the first place I'd look. I would also flush your radiator, and refill with about a 50/50 mix, and be sure there are no air-bubbles in the system, as that can add to heating problems. Checking the fan clutch would also be on my list of must check items.

Any noise from the engine to suggest a waterpump problem?

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2005, 06:01:34 PM »
Ya, sorry, the glow is usually a sign of timing. You may have a combination of things happining.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2005, 06:22:30 PM »
how many miles are on this engine??  it sounds like a cam timing problem,  pull the valve cover and check the timing chain, also rotate the engine till the timing mark on the crank is at zero, your cam dowel should be at 12 o clock, with the timing mark on the cam gear just slightly  to the left of 12 oclock
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Toyminator

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Anchorage, Alaska
    • View Profile
    • Alaska Wheeling Forum
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2005, 07:56:31 PM »
How would i check to see if the fan clutch is functioning properly?

The fan should spin (freewheel) easily when the engine is cold and be very hard or impossible to spin when the engine is hot.

I would also check cam and ignition timing  and check for a plugged catalytic converter.

I have no experience with the Toyota turbo's, but I did have a 87 Subaru XT turbo and the exhaust manifold on that thing would always be glowing after extended highway driving. The dealership mechanics told me that was normal on those turbos. :headscratch:

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2005, 08:41:44 PM »
I've heard that having your timing too far advanced (I think) can cause your exhaust manifold to glow hot. Something about unburnt fuel making it's way into the exhaust. That would be the first place I'd look. I would also flush your radiator, and refill with about a 50/50 mix, and be sure there are no air-bubbles in the system, as that can add to heating problems. Checking the fan clutch would also be on my list of must check items.

Any noise from the engine to suggest a waterpump problem?

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Erik :usa:

ill be checking the timing as soon as i get a chance... but i think im gonna have to wait till sunday and keep driving it as is.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2005, 08:44:58 PM »
how many miles are on this engine?? it sounds like a cam timing problem, pull the valve cover and check the timing chain, also rotate the engine till the timing mark on the crank is at zero, your cam dowel should be at 12 o clock, with the timing mark on the cam gear just slightly to the left of 12 oclock
the previous owner rebuilt the engine shortly before he sold it.. ran outta money for the project... so the engine has under 3000 miles on it... which it seems to me to be a little fishy that its having these problems... Hmm ive never pulled a valve cover before, that might get interesting.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2005, 08:47:03 PM »
The fan should spin (freewheel) easily when the engine is cold and be very hard or impossible to spin when the engine is hot.

I would also check cam and ignition timing and check for a plugged catalytic converter.

I have no experience with the Toyota turbo's, but I did have a 87 Subaru XT turbo and the exhaust manifold on that thing would always be glowing after extended highway driving. The dealership mechanics told me that was normal on those turbos. :headscratch:
the cat is brand spankin new, so its not plugged... it is possible that toyota planned for the manifold to glow but i kind of doubt it... my trucks manifold glowed when i first got it because the timing was way off.  Ill have to check the fan more closely when its hot..

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2005, 10:34:19 PM »
Is the truck detonating at all?  This may be a long shot, but if I remember right those turbos are oil cooled, and if the passage is clogged partially it may not get enough oil to sufficiently cool.  This may not be a problem at speed because of air flowing over the engine, but at lower speeds the air flowing through the hot turbo might heat up too much and pass out the other side too hot.  Just a thought.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2005, 06:37:10 PM »
ok finally got the thing to quit overheating... the radiator was shot.  New radiator and the overheating problem is gone.