Author Topic: bench seats to buckets...  (Read 2218 times)

alyssa2004

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
bench seats to buckets...
« on: Aug 30, 2005, 09:14:34 PM »
So, I've torn the bench seat out of the Toy, and I'm definitely wanting to get buckets for this thing. My step dad says it's gonna be tough installing them, since we're gonna need to build a frame or something. Now...he's a smart guy and all that...but I wanted to get the info from people who have done it before.

So. Is he right about the seat frames? Or can I just bolt them to the existing metal? Any info would help. We're going to pick and pull sometime this week to find a new bench, but we'll be looking for some "decent" buckets while we're there.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: bench seats to buckets...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2005, 09:19:42 PM »
It depends on the seats you get.  I got Sunfire seats in my f-250 and I got Honda seats for my Amigo and neither ones bolted right up.  I'll recommend the Honda seats as they're more comfy and even sporty, but as far as gettin em to bolt in, from what I've experienced with several different types of vehicles, it shouldn't be that hard :headscratch:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2005, 09:20:33 PM »
If you get Toyota buckets from a similar generation truck, they'll mostly bolt right in.   What year is your truck??  On my '84, I installed some buckets from an 87 and the outer 2 bolt holes lined up on each side, and I just drilled the inner 2 bolt holes on each seat.  The front bolts sit up on a rail that is factory installed and the holes are easily drilled.  The hard part is getting a nut on the backside while the seats are in there, but with a little flexibility, you can stick your hand in there and hold the nut with an open end wrench.  The back hole goes straight thru the floorboard and is easily installed as long as you've got someone to lay under the truck and hold the nut on the bottom.  You'll also have to install the seatbelt buckles onto some new bolts on the floor, as you'll lose their install point when using the buckets.  Be sure to install some LARGE washers (3" or so, go to a race shop to get 'em if you have to) on the backside of the seat and seatbelt bolts to keep them from pulling thru the thin sheetmetal floor in the event of an accident.

HTH,

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

alyssa2004

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2005, 09:22:44 PM »
it's an 82...what would I get the buckets out of from that gen?

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2005, 09:25:38 PM »
You'll be hard-pressed to find factory 1982 buckets at a junkyard that aren't trashed.  Try for 84-88 pickup/4Runner seats as the footprint on them is almost identical.  However, as FordFreakChick mentioned, any import vehicle seat will bolt in with similar ease, since you'll have to drill some holes no matter what.  I worked on a 88 Mazda 626 Turbo today that had AWESOME factory seats that were completely manual- no fancy electrical junk.  Whatever seats you get, be sure to get manual seats without electrical adjustment so you can move 'em front and back and recline 'em to your liking.

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2005, 10:04:25 PM »
If you find a bench out of an 84-88 it should bolt right up, but if you find buckets out of a mid 80s nissan 300zx they fit with minor mods and are very comfy.  In my 80 I put 86 300zx seats in, and if I remember right the two inside holes lined up, back outside hole lines up but you have to fab a spacer so they're level and outside front I made a small bracket to go from stock hold to seat.  If you choose the right seats you don't hafta make a frame.  You can measure your stock holes or make a template, but when I went looking I eye balled mine and got close.  Another option is to find a similar toy in the yard and test mount any seats you like. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2005, 06:42:52 AM »
Pull the seats out of damned near any japanese import and srop them in.  You'll most likely have to drill new holes in the floor but thats the extent of it.  Not a big deal. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??