Author Topic: auto to standard tranny swap?  (Read 4946 times)

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
auto to standard tranny swap?
« on: Aug 27, 2005, 04:07:22 PM »
Anybody ever done one?  Here's my problem.  I've got an 84 4Runner with a bad 22R (see thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=14334.0)  Anyways, I found an 85 22RE good shape, but one thing, it's an auto  :smack:   How tough would it be to swap the stuff from the 84 to the 85 like tranny, t-case, hydro lines for clutch, pedal assembly.  What else am I missing? 

Here's the other problem.  Could I take the automatic stuff and swap it to the 84?  Are the wiring harnesses the same?  I'm a big newb when it comes to swaping auto to 5 speed and all that stuff.

Any help would be great as this 4Runner is at a great price and I don't want to miss it
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: auto to standard tranny swap?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2005, 06:43:44 PM »
the engine is the same, except for the EFI.  Why would you want to replace a stick with an auto?  Or did I misunderstand the question?

gturismo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 327
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2005, 08:18:02 PM »
I'm working on the auto to manual swap right now.  Since you have the 84 with all the manual parts, it will be a piece of cake. 

I don't know about putting the auto in the 84.  I think the harness would be different :dunno:
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2005, 08:24:28 PM by gturismo »
85 Runner

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2005, 06:57:09 AM »
I have done the auto to manual swap on a 90 4Runner. There was a little more to it than I first thought, but if you have a vehicle with the 5 speed you will have everything you need.

You will need to use a hole saw on the fire wall where the clutch master cylinder will mount and drill a couple of mounting holes as well. I used the complete pedal and bracket assembly rather than just trying to install the clutch pedal. I had the dash out when I did it and that made it easier. The cut out in the floor for the shifters was different as well so you need to plan on doing some modifying. As far as mounting the slave cylinder, everything just bolts up. I don't know for sure about the 85, but some years have a different instrument cluster as well. It is really not that big of a deal. Just take it one thing at a time.

As far as putting the auto in the 84. If you use the 84 as the donor for the 5 speed swap into the 85, I wouldn't mess with trying to put an auto back in it. It could be done, but I think it would be more trouble than installing the 5 speed was in the 85. Also, if the 84 has a bad engine, I think you would be better off selling it as a no engine or transmission hulk or parting it out. Parting it out probably would not pay off as well as selling it whole. The big ticket items are the engine and tranny and you won't have either. You will have a lot of time stripping parts out and shipping them and then have a hulk you need to get rid of. Just sell the 84 as a project to somebody and be done with it.
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

Volcom [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2005, 06:35:39 PM »
Thanks for replies.  My only concern would be being able to part the 84 4Runner donor rig.  I'll have a front axle, rear axle, the auto tranny and t-case from the 85, interior, some dash pieces, hard top, body panels, and a frame.  How tough would you think it would be to part that out in Colorado?

I just need somebody to say "Hell Yea, buy the 85 and the EFI and get rid of that 84  :greengrin:
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2005, 07:14:51 PM »
HELL YEAH! buy that 85 and the efi and be done with that 84 :bayer:
Im an OG

gturismo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
I agree, definitely get the 85!  :thumbs:
85 Runner

Volcom [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2005, 11:55:02 AM »
OK guys, I'm still here and full of questions.  Do you think the swap is worth it if the 85 auto has 250K on it??  I just found out the mileage.  He says it runs good but underpowered (I don't see how a 22RE can be underpowered  :greengrin: ).  How much would an auto tranny and t-case be worth after I took it out and tried to sell it?  Decisions, decisions.  I really really want to convert it over to propane but I'm thinking for me driving it to the trails here in CO, running the trails and then driving home might be kinda tough with propane.  If the 4Runner was a trail only rig, I'd be all over the propane. 

Anybody have a detailed thread already started on the auto to 5 speed swap here on marlin or somewhere else?  I've searched here and Pirate but came up with little.

I'm kinda running out of time since this 4Runner will probably sell soon.  I'm going to go look at it tonight so I need some suggestions ASAP  :biggthumpup:
Thanks again.
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road

gturismo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2005, 07:54:39 PM »
OK guys, I'm still here and full of questions.  Do you think the swap is worth it if the 85 auto has 250K on it??

1.  It all depends on the condition and the price.  I wouldn't be afraid of the mileage if it had taken care of.

2.  I don't think there is much demand for those auto trannys.  This is just a guess, but maybe about $150

3.  I have not seen a detailed thread on the conversion.  I'm just winging it and asking questions as I go.
85 Runner

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2005, 08:05:07 PM »
i might take that auto tranny  :wave:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2005, 08:05:49 AM »
The used auto tranny will not be worth much. Not very many people want them. I still have the auto from the swap I did and have been trying to sell it since last fall. Yours will be worth a little more as it fits a 22R, (mine came off a 3.0) but I have gone as low as $50 and also offered to just trade it for other parts and I still have it.

About your other question on parting out the 84 after you use it as a donor. If it is a pretty solid vehicle body and interior wise, I would try to sell it whole. Lets say you start parting it out and sell a door, the seats, one diff and part of the dash or something. Then you have got very little money out of it and don't have a complete truck anymore. Sell it whole for $1000 and skip all the work. If it is a rust bucket of a P.O.S., then parting it out may get you more money. I have parted out a couple of vehicles. It is quite a bit of work and it takes time and room.

I think it is best to base your decision on what you want for your rig when you are done. If you can sell left over stuff and come out, great. Don't base the decision on how you will come out better. Decide on what will make you the happiest when you are done.
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

Volcom [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2005, 07:06:29 AM »
UPDATE:
I went and looked at the 4Runner last night.  It's about an hour away from me.  Decent shape for being 20 years old.  Interior is better than my 84, body for the most part is better as well.  The typical 4Runner rust on the rear fender lips.  Nothing a bit of trimming couldn't take care of!  Anyways, the guy started it up and it idled for serveral mintues.  It's got 253K on the clock.  He let me take it for a spin down the street.  His driveway is at a 2-3 degree grade uphill.  That damn 4Runner wouldn't get above 10 mph  :smack:   I had it floored  :greengrin:   It rode nice down the road but damn, completely guttless. 

I'm thinking that the auto tranny is stuck in 2nd gear and only shifting up to 3rd and 4th.  I bought it back and told him and my dad that it felt like it won't go into 1st.  He didn't seem to worried about it.  We let it sit there a little bit longer and the motor started making some lifter or valve noise, typical noises that a 250K 22RE makes.  My dad said something to me about it and the guy jumped in it and pulled it back where he had it and shut it off.   :dunno:

So, for 1K, is it worth it?  I don't think I could resell that auto tranny in that kind of condition.  I bought my 84 for $500 with a toasted motor.  I would need to get at least that in parting it out or selling it after I take all the 5 speed swap stuff off of it.  I'm thinking between the front axle, rear axle, hardtop, body pieces, interior, roll bar, the G52 tranny (I've got an extra W56 in my garage that I wanted to use) I could make back my $500 a little at a time., Interior wise, I could live with my 84 (missing some pieces, dash is kinda beatup) but this 85 is nicer.

Decisions, Decisions
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2005, 05:56:27 PM »
 a grand aint too bad if the body and interior are in good shape but i would try and knock him down to $750,

go with the w56 and a good 22 or find a 5MGE
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2005, 06:00:28 PM »
You're asking about swapping out the automatic to a manual transmission right? Mudaddict has an automatic in his 4runner and he says he likes having the automatic off-road. Might want to talk to him about how crucial this swap really is.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

gturismo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2005, 06:12:21 PM »
My 22RE is noisier when its cold, and then quiets down some as it warm up.  Seems odd that it makes more noise when hot than cold.  But hey, I'm no authority on engines. 

I would offer him 700 maybe 800 for it as is.  If the guy wasn't worried about it barely getting up the driveway, that makes me wonder what else he might not be worried about.
85 Runner

Volcom [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2005, 09:39:23 PM »
a grand aint too bad if the body and interior are in good shape but i would try and knock him down to $750,

go with the w56 and a good 22 or find a 5MGE

How tough of a swap would the 5MGE be? What kind of cars had that engine?  Would the wiring be a pain the ass? 

I'm thinking of offering him $750-$800 if he doesn't sell it soon.  With 250K on that 22RE, it would need a rebuilt anyways (just like my 22R in the 84).  So really, out of this whole deal, I am getting an EFI system, a little nicer body, and better interior. 

Here's the list of stuf that I could part out of my 84 and some of the 85. 
2 rear pre 85 axles
1 front axle
one auto tranny that doesn't really work quite right
1 G52 tranny
driveshafts
some interior pieces
seats
roll bar
body panels
2 sets of stock chrome wheels and tires
1 set of mag wheels and 32 inch tires
frame
body
hardtop
bad 22R
headlights
taillights
From that list, how much do you think I could get back?  Anybody have an experience parting a 1st Gen 4Runner out?

Am I  :screwy:  for even thinking about it.
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road