Author Topic: Ok, so I borrowed mom's car, and it got hit...  (Read 4218 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Ok, so I borrowed mom's car, and it got hit...
« on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:32:00 AM »
The guy that hit it couldn't just hit the taillight, or the fender, or the bumper, NO he had to go and get the entire corner of the car...well, ya'll can see.  $2200 to fix here in Livermore....the guy has insurance though so that's a good thing.... but they don't want to pay it all to fix it all the way :tantrum:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, so I borrowed mom's car, and it got hit...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:36:43 AM »
 :headshake: damn california drivers.... wait you where in oregon :laugh:  wait, damn oregon drivers :down:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:38:01 AM »
:headshake: damn california drivers.... wait you where in oregon :laugh:  wait, damn oregon drivers :down:

lucky me I wasn't in the car...I was gettin my hair cut at the time  :qtip:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:39:29 AM »
lucky me I wasn't in the car...I was gettin my hair cut at the time :qtip:
you woulda beat em with a shoe huh?

RK

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 757
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Me, crazy?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:39:50 AM »
That really sucks. Sorry to hear that.I borrowed my moms car once, and i rear ended someone. It was a dark stormy night deal. How can they not payfor all of it? I hate insurance companies..they are such a pain sometimes..
Max
Black Hole Racing - 84 Jackalope/79 Devil Bunny/87 Golf - Service rig: 2012 Ram 3500

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:44:35 AM »
:hahaha: no Dan, beating someone with a shoe is not always the resolution to a problem :rofl:

racinkid...that sucks.  I was lucky that he hit the car...and even more lucky that he reported it to security! He coulda just drove off and I'da been screwed.  He has Allstate and they're PITA's....they said they'd cut us a check for 1400.....wtf....then they'll pay for whatever that doesn't cover once it's in the shop.  They don't want us gettin the cash and runnin i guess.... :screwy:

RK

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 757
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Me, crazy?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:48:41 AM »
I see...that just slows things down. Complicates and aggrivates. Man...yeah, like you said, at least he reported it. But beatin with a shoe will make ya feel better....sometimes..
Max
Black Hole Racing - 84 Jackalope/79 Devil Bunny/87 Golf - Service rig: 2012 Ram 3500

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:54:54 AM »
But beatin with a shoe will make ya feel better....sometimes..
ya it will, always! theres always someone that needs a shoe beatin

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:58:57 AM »
I can't hardly bother with my flip flop.... but I'll have to take ya'll up on that one someday, specially if ya'll say it feels so good :hahaha:

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2005, 11:53:21 AM »
well it seems like it's just deformed, could be real easy to repair, I mean there's no wrinkle(?), could mostly fix it a hammer and a slide hammer.
It does not seem like there's $2200 of damage.
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
well it seems like it's just deformed, could be real easy to repair, I mean there's no wrinkle(?), could mostly fix it a hammer and a slide hammer.
It does not seem like there's $2200 of damage.

there's a kink under the trunk on the top of the fender...

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Also, labor cost a lot.

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Beamer parts arn't cheap. I bet the tail light cost about $200.00.

Don't let them use aftermarket parts. Tell them you will only except new or used OEM parts. There is a differance, that's why they are so much cheaper.

How is the bumper? That would cost big bucks if it had damage.

Still coulda been much worse. This is only light and should be easy to fix.

Sorry it happened, good luck
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Yeah you're right...Bumper is just scratched, so I ain't trippin too much on that, but I saw on the invoice that the taillight is like $180  :ack: and labor is $72/hr  :disturbed:

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
noooooooooooooooooooooo :maddest:   that basstard
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
SEVENTY TWO DOLLARS AN HOUR!!! Holy CARP!! Is that what insurance pays or is that what the place that you got the estimate is charging? There is a set $ per hour that insurance sets. It's been a while since we have been out of the autobody biz, and we were never in it in CA, but that is about triple what it was when we were in it about 8 years ago in FL.
And hey, you could have at least slapped 'em silly with a flip flop! LOL!
I don't know where you brought it but getting a second estimate couldn't hurt. But like MrDubya said, don't let them talk you into aftermarket parts.
What year is the car?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
$180 doesn't sound like a lot for a taillight for a beemer. Was it OEM?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I dunno what the ins is gonna pay per hour, but $72/hr is what I got the quote for.  I'm not sure bout the taillight...it's whatever they had in their computers... :dunno:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Insurance sets the rate for the per hour that they will pay for body work to be done. If the shop you took it to is charging more per hour then insurance pays, insurance won't pay the difference.
Also, depending on the year of your vehicle, depends more on whether insurance will pay for OEM or aftermarket parts. But even with newer vehicles, they are going to try for aftermarket first, and they can have you sign up for your insurance, with a lower rate, by agreeing in the event of an accident you agree to aftermarket parts.
But this accident wasn't your fault.
Aftermarket taillights aren't usually a problem. Sheet metal part are. but the damage to the body isn't so bad that they can't pull it out, bondo and paint.
Did you already have the work done and now they won't pay for it?

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Naw haven't got the work done yet.  As far as I'm concerned the insurance can kiss my :moon: cuz the car BB's at like $1600, and the insurance said they'd pay $1499 out the door, then whatever else isn't covered they'll cover once it's in teh shop and done.  We're hoping to cash out and do the work ourselves so we can get it painted too :dunno: It's mom's car and her deal...I just feel bad that it all happened when I was in possession of it :smack:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
oh FFC  the moms are giving us gray hairs huh :smack:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
oh FFC  the moms are giving us gray hairs huh :smack:

I gotta admit, she's been a pretty good sport about the whole deal.  All she said was "I sent my car with you so you can FIX it not damage it more"....then we had a good laugh.  I's surprised :wiggle:

bigdaddypoppop

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Jun '05
  • America love it or leave it!!!
    • View Profile
FFC, I will loan ya a boot to beat em with instead of your flip flop. LOL  Yeah 180 isnt a bad price for the taillight.  I used to sell BMW parts and they are almost as crazy as some of the Toyota Parts I sell now.  Living in Alaska and being the only dealer for a lot of miles, sometimes I look at the prices and I just cant make Myself sell them to people.  Its nuts.  You said a kink under the trunk?  that sounds like you need a quarter panel....hope not.  OH try lookin at a salvage yard or online there is a web site for used car-parts.

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
FFC, I will loan ya a boot to beat em with instead of your flip flop. LOL  Yeah 180 isnt a bad price for the taillight.  I used to sell BMW parts and they are almost as crazy as some of the Toyota Parts I sell now.  Living in Alaska and being the only dealer for a lot of miles, sometimes I look at the prices and I just cant make Myself sell them to people.  Its nuts.  You said a kink under the trunk?  that sounds like you need a quarter panel....hope not.  OH try lookin at a salvage yard or online there is a web site for used car-parts.

Awwww thank you :ladys-man:

Yeah a kink under the trunk right on the upper ridge of the quarter panel..... It could be a pain, but looks like mom is takin it in on monday to get it in the shop we'll see how that goes......

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
Where you located FFC? I worked parts department at a body shop and used a company called LKQ that had the hook up on used parts. Mrs.W $72 is about right for around here. Its been bout two or three years since I worked at the shop and it was $68-69 then. California is a big rip off. I hope everything works out for the best.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
or you could get em from me, for nothin :wink2:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
hmmmmmmmmmmmm. sound like an interesting plan..................

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
howdy folks ... i'm glen's brother jeff , i was looking at the posts y'all do and they're funny but they got alot of good imformation in them and also i saw the BMW with the busted  tail light too :wazzup: :deal:..i was on ebay today looking for Toyota parts and i found some good deals on it too and to the young lady with the damaged BMW you might look on ebay for that new taillight and it would be alot cheaper then having to buy from the BMW car dealer  :deal:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
or you could get em from me, for nothin :wink2:

Thanks babe :smooch:

Where you located FFC? I worked parts department at a body shop and used a company called LKQ that had the hook up on used parts. Mrs.W $72 is about right for around here. Its been bout two or three years since I worked at the shop and it was $68-69 then. California is a big rip off. I hope everything works out for the best.

I got a quote in Ashland OR where it happened and they came up with $1913, and I got a quote in Livermore where I live for now and it is $2200 ish.  Insurance is gonna fix it...just gotta keep hounding them.  They don't wanna pay the whole price, but they are gonna pay till it's either fixed, or they can buy us out at $3k..... I like the buyin us out idea :hahaha:

howdy folks ... i'm glen's brother jeff , i was looking at the posts y'all do and they're funny but they got alot of good imformation in them and also i saw the BMW with the busted tail light too :wazzup: :deal:..i was on ebay today looking for Toyota parts and i found some good deals on it too and to the young lady with the damaged BMW you might look on ebay for that new taillight and it would be alot cheaper then having to buy from the BMW car dealer :deal:

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the advice.  It's my mom's car and she doesn't want to deal with it so she's having the insurance deal with findin the parts and payin for it and stuff.  She gets a rental car in teh meantime and she's gonna be picky  :eyebrow:

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Be careful which shop you go to because my mom's 1998 4runner slammed into a drunk driver while the drunk was running a red and the fender curled under and blew out the tire and everything was jacked up. She got it fixed and it looked good for a while until it got bumped by a van and it all shifted and the van didnt even tap it with enough force to do that. now there is something off about an inch and we cant figure it out...we decided just to say f*k it because we took it to the desert a couple weeks ago and its all scratched up lol
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status