Author Topic: Tranny/tcase oil levels?  (Read 934 times)

HFCRAOffroading

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 425
  • Member since May '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Tranny/tcase oil levels?
« on: Jul 22, 2005, 08:38:06 PM »
This was posted over on Pirate:

"okay,
this maybe a stupid question, but every time i changed the rear flange off my tcase, i was losing fluid out the back. i though it may have been low from the loss of fluid, so i pulled the fill plug and it was WAY overfilled. so, i let it drain out, and then torqued the nut back on. my friend who filled my tranny and cases said they were not overfilled, (or so he thought) so i was wondering if the gear oil from another case or the tranny could have made it's way back. i know the seals are good, but doesn't marlin's adapter keep that from happening? i never though about this before, so flame away."

This is the response:

"Did you check the tranny and see if it was low? That would let you know if the oil was making it from tranny to case.
Personally I feel the major reason for the W56 having failures is that the front bearing is not getting enough oil. I overfill by a good half quart through the shifter.
I also always nose down a little for the case as well."

Ok, my problem, at 2700 and above RPM, when I let off the gas pedal,  going down the Freeway, I get a gear noise.  Sounds like I have wound up the tranny and then let it relax.  Once I pick up the throttle, I get the same noise for a second and the gear noise goes away.

My Toy never did this before all of the work that was done.  The tcase and tranny were not touched. 

Is this a "normal" noise that I didn't notice because of all of the "sound proofing material" and carpet that I had taken out for the in cab cage and seats?

I have the stock tranny(71k on it) and a Marlin Crawler t case with the 4.7 gear.

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
Re: Tranny/tcase oil levels?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2005, 12:22:00 AM »
Hmmmmm...no replies???

WideOpen

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -241
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
Re: Tranny/tcase oil levels?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2005, 12:59:14 AM »
My truck did the same thing untill i put a cv joint on the rear shaft. Do that and i'll bet that fixes the problem!