We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: Coilover SAS  (Read 6115 times)

86runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 352
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Coilover SAS
« on: Jul 18, 2005, 08:23:25 PM »
Okay i was recently browsing through one of the recent 4x4 mags (i think it was Peterson's) and read that All Pro was working on a SAS kit for pickups and 4runners after 85 that not only replaced the IFS but also the changing the leafs to coil overs. Now i was just curious if this is a rumor or what and if you guys at Marlin were planning on working on anything like that?  my friends fabs suspension for many makes of trucks and he was actually talking about making me a SAS kit with coilovers.  so i was just wondering what the story is with your guys plans... thanx

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: Coilover SAS
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2005, 08:56:01 PM »
They are working on a coil swap for a Tacoma. I don't think they are working on any products for pre 95 trucks. We have considered selling a coil front kit but have not had time to put it together.

86runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2005, 08:06:16 PM »
Yeah thats cool. and i am not sure about the allpro on what models it will be for. i just read in a mag that they are working on one. that does make more sence that it is for the tacoma because a tacoma is what was used in the article and they have just gotten into making parts for tacos so... the article just made a short comment about allpro using coils for a swap or that they were working on it.

well when you do get around to it i will probably be interested if my buddy and i havent gotten one put together. ill be looking foward to it.  :thumbs:

93TOY4X4

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2005, 08:37:40 PM »
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=697351&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

This is a Forum on the Coil Sprung SAS. Pretty neat what these folks are doin.

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/index/coilover.htm

Here is their website that displays the test of the kit that would work for an '86 - '95

I signed up just to post this message.  I felt bad withholding information such as this.

86runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2005, 09:29:35 PM »
well thanks for the info i think this is what i am going to do when i do my SAS. if i dont buy from them then i think ill have my friend work on it. he fabs rollcages, bumpers, suspensions,and other offroad stuff..

86runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2005, 09:48:23 PM »
i want that so bad. i cant wait to see the price even though im sure i wont like it when i see it. how much would you guess the price might be around? a lot lot more than the leaf conversion?

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2005, 10:15:23 PM »
I would think something like $2300 for a front kit. The bigest veriable would be the shock/coil. These run about $500 each.

86runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2005, 07:51:09 PM »
And now what would be the advantages of have that over leafs? I dont only mean as far as preformance but also reliablity and all other factors. if that in fact is the price range would you say it would be worth it to dish out the extra grand or so?

86runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2005, 07:52:56 PM »
so your guess would be around 2300 for just the front and then you would have to fork over another 1500 or what for the rear?

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2005, 09:07:29 PM »
Honestly I don't think it's worth the extra money. I personally have plenty of fun riding on leaf springs, but that's just me. Customers are asking for a coil setup so they can get more wheel travel and move the axle further forward.

86runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2005, 10:14:13 PM »
yeh and thats what i am contimplating on is if i want that or just go with the leafs. i guess i will have to wait to see how much they price the kit for. besides i am no rush im gong to wheel with my ifs until it causes problems, breaks, etc.  thanx for your imput.  :thumbs:

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2005, 01:09:11 AM »
One of the guys I wheel with made his own kit from scratch.  After much testing, he pretty much got his truck all wired up and very trail ready.  I got to drive it once.  VERY FUN!!!

93TOY4X4

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2005, 07:39:45 PM »
That is a neat toy your friend has got there.  I especially like the kid trowing a fit in the second picture.  It really brings out the emotion in that rig.. heh..
This is a coil-over thou. I couldnt see any coil-overs on that toy, just coil springs.

These Images are from www.offroadsolutions.com

86runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »
do you guys know of anywhere that have good prices on coilovers? also i was looking and couldnt find any sites that sold bilstein shocks with different coils (since biulstein doesnt make coils) and i couldnt find any that had kits like this. do you guys know of any sites?

see this guy (see below link) has got the rear coilovers as well. but his is more complicated and custom kinda thing. if you did a rear coilover swap you wouldnt have to go rebuild the whole back half of the frame like he did would you? i mean could you do it with just the stock frame and stuff?

http://offroadsolutions.com/projects/934runner.htm

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2005, 03:18:51 AM »
U r correct...he was looking into c overs...   Like 86 runner...does anyone know where one can get coilovers from for a decent price?  Also, since some are rebuildable, can used ones work out???