Author Topic: chevy springs  (Read 10845 times)

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: chevy springs
« Reply #30 on: Jul 25, 2005, 09:45:43 PM »
Ill save my I told ya so for another ocassion.  That sucks to hear that your rig got messed up.  Time to cut the top off....  :gap:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 25, 2005, 09:48:58 PM »
:worthless:
Oh, man, I knew that one was coming.  The guy I was with took some with his camera phone and as soon as we can figure out how to get them off it, I will definately post em.
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com
1976 FJ55 SOA, 36"s, Hysteer, Power Steering, Aussielocked rear, Rhino Lined exterior, some other sweet stuff.
1997 FZJ80 3x Locked, OME, 33's, Nat Luna Dual Yellow Tops, Warn E 12.0, other junk

shad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 392
  • Member since Mar '05
  • waiting for warmer wheeling weather
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 26, 2005, 03:33:52 AM »
Damn that sucks. You could always swap out the cab.
86 Toyota 4 runner
22re screaming on 4.56's rolling 35's
My cardomain page

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jul 26, 2005, 03:20:45 PM »
another question to chevy spring SWAPPERS. I did a measurement on moving it 11 inches like everyone says but ,like the front axle ,you would want to move it forward so when it flexes the shackle will throw it back. So I was thinking of moving it around 13 inches or 14 inches.My brother did moved it about 14inches on his first gen-runner and for some reason it still rubbed the lower rearend fender.But he did do a double shackle swap. When he moved it 14 inches it did look like it was a bit thrown forward and he still had problems clearing hi 35's x12.5w/ 4 in bs.He has about 8 inches of lift running fullsize front and a T100 rearend. My question to you ALL is if I move it 11 inches( which will look pretty well-centered), and a Single shackle, will I encounter the same problem as my brother's setup? Oh yeah, I'm running a d60 rear(64-65 wms) and d44 cutdown(wms same as rear).  will be running rs44044's in front also.Thanks

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #34 on: Jul 26, 2005, 03:34:22 PM »
11" forward for the front hanger....
If you use a single shackle it will be around 9" long (and your pinion angle will suck).
Or you could move the shackle hanger back 4" and run a 5.5" eye to eye shackle.

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 26, 2005, 04:28:56 PM »
That's what I forgot to include....... Moving the rear back 4 inches. Thanks.............. Still.Will it still clear without any trimming of the rear fenderwells?    How about adding 3more inches to the front( now 14inches forward) and takiing 3 out the back (now 1 inch back). what about that. So that when it flexes it will throw the wheel right in? Correct me if me set up is sounds ODD.....

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #36 on: Jul 26, 2005, 04:49:49 PM »
As your spring compresses you axle swings up and forward, so moving it forward more would do nothing but driving it into the fender more.

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 26, 2005, 05:07:37 PM »
how come on my brothers setup he's having trouble with the wheels hitting the rear lower fender? He moved his about 13 inches forward with double shackles. The tires doesn't sit centered at all and his tires still hit the rear fender. all i can really think of right now is throwing it far forward than his setup. If it was at 11inch, it will probably do more damage compared the his setup. I just don't know. does the rear not work like the fronts or what? You throw the front axle hanger forward to eliminate hitting the fender when leaf is compressed, but how come it doesn't work in this case for the rear axle setup? wouldn't you want to the rear front hanger forward justike the front axle to avoid this also? Not unless the theory is to throw the axle forward and the rearaxle backward, both reteracting away from the center of the truck. Some body, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 26, 2005, 06:50:20 PM »
I am still impressed with my double shackles.  I have been running them for over a year and a half and have had no problems.  They don't unload, maybe becasue i have the bolts somewhat tight.  They have not caused me to roll or throw my truck off-camber.  Maybe i am 1 in a million on this subject.

Northern Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Aug '03
  • The Heart Beat of Japan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 26, 2005, 06:56:59 PM »
I run the Chevy 2 leaf pack with a double shackle, It never has felt tippy, works great on the highway and flex's like MAD>...... :driving:

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 27, 2005, 05:12:11 AM »
how come on my brothers setup he's having trouble with the wheels hitting the rear lower fender? He moved his about 13 inches forward with double shackles. The tires doesn't sit centered at all and his tires still hit the rear fender. all i can really think of right now is throwing it far forward than his setup. If it was at 11inch, it will probably do more damage compared the his setup. I just don't know. does the rear not work like the fronts or what? You throw the front axle hanger forward to eliminate hitting the fender when leaf is compressed, but how come it doesn't work in this case for the rear axle setup? wouldn't you want to the rear front hanger forward justike the front axle to avoid this also? Not unless the theory is to throw the axle forward and the rearaxle backward, both reteracting away from the center of the truck. Some body, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why not just cut the fenders and be done with it??seems simple to me.. :smack:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #41 on: Jul 27, 2005, 07:00:06 AM »
if your shackle bolts are really tight you are limiting your flex,  but with double shackles this might be a good thing :smack:

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crawlerdan [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 27, 2005, 07:00:29 AM »
I run the Chevy 2 leaf pack with a double shackle, It never has felt tippy, works great on the highway and flex's like MAD>...... :driving:
do you have pics of this leaf pac???

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #43 on: Jul 27, 2005, 08:55:28 AM »
i havent tested them yet but my front springs are  custom, top2 toy fronts, chevy2wd s10 3rd, old blackdiamond adda leaf, and bottom 2 from stock pack,  appears to be around 4 inches of lift as soon as i get the axle in and the engine back in we'll see how the flex
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jul 27, 2005, 03:51:04 PM »
Trying to limit the trim on the rear.     anyone got an pictures of their chevy spring swap WITH a single shackle?

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jul 27, 2005, 10:22:32 PM »
Search MR4x42u He has posted pics of his runner all over the place here and on PBB.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jul 27, 2005, 10:39:13 PM »
I watched kyotas unload and almost went over..when they unload,,they unload fast..they just feel unstable off camber to me..

you were in front of me  :headscratch: I was going too fast down that dropoff
wasnt from my shackles unloading, they never came apart more than an inch or so the whole time I ran them and  when I took them apart during my single shackle swap they were so stiff they didnt move till I backed the nuts all the way off, too tight like Glen mentioned. the new singles flex much better.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jul 28, 2005, 07:24:20 AM »
you were in front of me  :headscratch: I was going too fast down that dropoff
wasnt from my shackles unloading, they never came apart more than an inch or so the whole time I ran them and  when I took them apart during my single shackle swap they were so stiff they didnt move till I backed the nuts all the way off, too tight like Glen mentioned. the new singles flex much better.

yea,,i was standing off to the side in front of you,,it looked like they unloaded from where I was standing..never the less I think you will be uch happier with the solid set up..
O
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jul 28, 2005, 12:49:33 PM »
tried searching for mr4x42u's picture but no luck........ Care to post them on this thread  MR4X42U??????

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jul 28, 2005, 01:56:23 PM »
hold on I'll get you a couple

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jul 28, 2005, 02:06:26 PM »
when I did double shackles I left 4"-5" on the end of the frame so if I were to go to singles I'd have somewhere to mount the new hangers, thinking ahead paid off. and you can see how I boxed the frame rails together with a piece of 2"x3" channel